What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Listened to the Wonder Woman score. Some fine moments, but for me it's just more RC-style music with loud noises, repeating percussion loops, and a lot of ear bursting action music.

Wonder Woman's theme doesn't even seem to get an orchestral version disappointingly enough, and they still use that very inappropriate electric cello.

Meh!

16 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Why is the electric cello inappropriate?

Maybe not inappropriate, I just don't think it fits the character very-well. I'd prefer Wonder Woman's theme to be more mythological and epic sounding honestly, not some Zimmer style trailer cello music, as fun as it may be. Though that's just me personally, of course. 

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - Geoff Zanelli

It doesn't reset the bar, musically, for the series. It sounds pretty consistent -- brainless entertainment but nothing else. Zanelli incorporates Zimmer's themes liberally throughout -- the main theme, Jack's, and both versions of Will/Elizabeth's love theme. It's less of a phoned in effort than "On Stranger Tides", but Zanelli doesn't develop a voice of his own. If you didn't read the credits, it sounds like Zimmer wrote it.

5 hours ago, Matt C said:

If you didn't read the credits, it sounds like Zimmer wrote it.

I think that was just what they were going for.

The Spitfire Grill by James Horner: A lovely little low-key Horner score with a bit of a folksy twist.

On 29/05/2017 at 7:42 AM, Incanus said:

The score alternates between broadcasting the olfactory sensations through music, which is perhaps its strongest suit with beautiful choral work, the murderous off-kilter suspense that has the pulsing undercurrent that works as an effective musical trigger and the somewhat less succesful faux-classical seriousness of the more melodramatic parts. Overall I do like the music quite a bit and there is a nice dramatic arc to it on the album. Something between ominous and beautiful.

:thumbup: Thanks for that!

Not a bad assessment of the score.

3 hours ago, Brónach said:

I was expecting more from Zanelli to be honest. It wouldn't really matter if it sounded different or it had more of its own themes. Who's gonna complain?

Indeed!

The Big Brawl - Lalo Schifrin. Fun stuff. It's basically a follow-up to Enter The Dragon, similar to how Brubaker is kinda like Cool Hand Luke 2.0. 

The user who uploaded the Japanese only release on youtube deserves a cookie. Now if it only would get a proper re-release. The sound sucks!

19 hours ago, Matt C said:

It doesn't reset the bar, musically, for the series. It sounds pretty consistent -- brainless entertainment but nothing else. Zanelli incorporates Zimmer's themes liberally throughout -- the main theme, Jack's, and both versions of Will/Elizabeth's love theme. It's less of a phoned in effort than "On Stranger Tides", but Zanelli doesn't develop a voice of his own. If you didn't read the credits, it sounds like Zimmer wrote it.

I listened to parts of the latest POTC score two days ago. It sounded very forgettable. It just basically feels like a Zimmer clone score, composed by someone who was obviously a protege / ghost-writer of his. 

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Still, this protege had previously written fun music for the franchise (some of the best, I'd even say). But for some reason, when he was given the opportunity to be in the forefront, he didn't deliver the goods. A shame, really.

I just think he was following studio demands to retread the themes, for better or mostly worse. 

It's kinda like a balancing act you might say. 

I'm sure Zanelli wanted to write his own themes, but he's loyal enough to Zimmer and Disney, that he just decided to use the pre-existing themes. Frustrating to say the least. 

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Well, Zannelli did write new themes. They're just not particularly interesting.

His "new themes" (I swear there was like only two), just feel RC leftovers if you ask me, so yeah not exactly the most "engaging" of material. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt Zanelli nothing more than just another RCP stooge? Why are people surprised that he used the themes of his Overlord?

Eh, some of Zimmer's proteges have gone on and to try and do their own thing to varying degrees of success. Zanelli only recently seems to have broken from Zimmer, so I'm not surprised he so faithful to themes of the recent POTC film. 

Or perhaps we should rage against the Zimmering of the light, if people would prefer that. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Midnight Run - Danny Elfman

Remember when action comedies seemed to be scored exclusively using guitar slides?

I feel like the sound heard here at 4:20 was used in a hundred films

Sounds typically 80's

Star Wars: A New Hope by J. Williams

I found this album at HPB cheap, though I'm not sure which release it is (16 tracks)...It's growing on me. 

I think I always pressured myself into loving these holy grails (I feel similar anxieties with other really popular scores), but I've been calming down a bit.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Star Wars: A New Hope by J. Williams

I found this album at HPB cheap, though I'm not sure which release it is (16 tracks)...It's growing on me. 

I think I always pressured myself into loving these holy grails (I feel similar anxieties with other really popular scores), but I've been calming down a bit.

I think it's the original 2-LP program. Great!

p_l45753_4.jpg

Star Wars [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (1977, 20th Century Records, L 45753/4 [2T-54]; London SO/Williams)

DISC 1: Main Title; Imperial Attack; Princess Leia's Theme; The Desert And The Robot Auction; Ben's Death And TIE Fighter Attack; The Little People Work; Rescue Of The Princess; Inner City; Cantina Band; DISC 2: The Land Of The Sand People; Mouse Robot And Blasting Off; The Return Home; The Walls Converge; The Princess Appears; The Last Battle; The Throne Room And End Title.

Keeping this program for later today.

This morning I listen to the OST Star Wars program (the 2016 remastered digital version), but in my playlist, I replace the theme (using the one from the Anthology Boxset, it has the same edit... but better done than the one on the OST) and the Throne Room (taking it from the Special Edition).

Ultimately, someday, a kind of Mike Matessino will "reconstruct" the OST program using the best source possible... I hope!

I think if Disney ever hires him to tackle the SW scores, he'd have room to rebuild the OST in a 2CD set.

Disc 1 = The complete FILM score, no Cantina Band or Princess Leia's Theme, but there IS room for the Binary Sunset alternate

Disc 2 = The original 1977 LP program PLUS Cantina Band #2 as a bonus track

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Always depressed by how little luck he's had in Hollywood.

Has he been keen on trying his hand at more film projects?

The Patriot by John Williams: Even at its most rousing there is something comforting about John Williams' Americana.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Always depressed by how little luck he's had in Hollywood.

I don't think Hollywood is designed for the way he works.

It would have been nice if he found one regular collaborator that fit with his ethic so we could hear him peak into this world more often (a la Greenwood/PTA or Johannsson/Villeneuve).

11 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Champ - Dave Grusin - Good stuff. Sentimental themes mixed in with 70's funk, but it works. 

Dave Grusin has always been criminally underrated. Do you like his solo stuff, especially his recordings for GRP?

ONE OF A KIND is fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Dave Grusin has always been criminally underrated. Do you like his solo stuff, especially his recordings for GRP?

ONE OF A KIND is fantastic.

He does have an Oscar at least, so it's not like the industry hates him or anything. He's also scored a lot of a hit films. He's sadly neglected these days. I think it's because people see him as a lounge jazz kind of guy where there's more to him then that. 

Yeah I've listened to some of his solo records too. Good stuff, especially Migration. Dig those synths!

My favorite Grusin scores are On Golden Pond, The Goonies, Mulholland Falls, Heaven Can Wait, The Champ, Three Days of The Condor, Havana, and so on. His collaborations with Sydney Pollack produced some great work.

One score of his I'd love to see a release of (even though the tapes are lost), that I listened to some exerts some of taken from the DVD is, Murder By Death. Like The Goonies it sounds like its a bit more of an orchestral affair as opposed to be "jazzy", and based off what I've listened to as well, a lot of fun. Again shame the tapes are lost though. Great composer though. 

On 6/1/2017 at 2:18 AM, Incanus said:

Has he been keen on trying his hand at more film projects?

As KK said, I expect it would take the right director, if one exists.  Wonder what Terry Malick is up to....

Angela's Ashes by John Williams: Aah music for my soul...

Malick and Corigliano together...the possibilities... :drool:

Though I seriously doubt Corigliano would have the patience to deal with most of his work being thrown out.

41 minutes ago, KK said:

Malick and Corigliano together...the possibilities... :drool:

Though I seriously doubt Corigliano would have the patience to deal with most of his work being thrown out.

Yeah with Malick that is more the norm than the exception. :P 

I wasn't sure where to put this, but you can hear, in bad quality, the La La Land overture, which was excised from the final film, right here, from the recent live-to-picture presentation (which Hurwitz conducted):

You can also hear some (newly written?) entr'acte music at the end. 

Oh, you can also hear "Overture" here, perhaps in better quality, plus with video:

As you can see here, it was not quite a "normal" LTP concert -- it had dancers (and seemingly singers as well) on stage: