What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End

Great, fun score!

Now listening to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I still enjoy this one. It's a bit long-winded, but it has a bunch of wonderful themes, lovely orchestration and it still holds so much potential. Too bad these scores somehow turned more generic with each new installment. Much like the films, actually.

Not so sure about score.

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Too bad these scores somehow turned more generic with each new installment. Much like the films, actually.

With the exception of DOS, we are in agreement. Although, I agree that AUJ was the best sounding score.

:music: Superman IV: The Quest for Peace by Alexander Courage. Still the second best Superman score out there. it's only a shame that being part of the (rather excellent) Blue Box means fewer people will buy it and discover for themselves.

Karol

I relistened to bits and bobs of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman this morning.  Has Zimmer ever written a theme in a major key? ( that was a rhetorical question)  The man is just in love with that minor sound.  I guess it fits with the DC film universe vibe.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I relistened to bits and bobs of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman this morning.  Has Zimmer ever written a theme in a major key? ( that was a rhetorical question)  The man is just in love with that minor sound.  I guess it fits with the DC film universe vibe.

Got a serious hard on for D minor 

32 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hey! Bilbo's got a minor dick! :lol:

Nope, Zimmer loves the D minor!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Love the synthetic choir! Very Irish.

If all you know about Irish music is Enya!

21 hours ago, KK said:

With the exception of DOS, we are in agreement. Although, I agree that AUJ was the best sounding score.

It was okay. Effective, not very attention-grabbing...

Wonder Woman :music:

Not very interesting.  Also, Zimmer's Wonder Woman theme is fucking stupid (and this is coming from somebody who likes Man of Steel and sort of likes BM V SM).  

I do wish Zimmer had just taken the Wonder Woman score though.  He almost certainly would've done more interesting things with the theme than Rupert.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't he say he was done with superhero scores?

I think he has said that a few times now yet he just keep cranking them out. ;)

Master of the Universe by Bill Conti: Quite good stuff Bill, uncomplicated and tuneful, very cartoonish with broad, big colours and gestures.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He said it last year while promoting BvS: http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/batman-v-superman-set-to-be-hans-zimmers-final-foray-into-the-superhero-genre/

I guess we'll find out if he meant it.

Ah yes, I remember now. It's an understandable stance on One's own work. Zimmer has said as much in the past regarding other musical fads that he started (i.e. Male choir of the 90s).

Who Is Killing The Great Chefs of Europe - Henry Mancini - Fun stuff, very European, surprisingly no jazz either, it's very restrained and dramatic at point as well, and not overly cartoonish either. The perfect comedy score basically. I must have listened to the track The Movable Feast at least 20 times now. 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I think he has said that a few times now yet he just keep cranking them out. ;)

Master of the Universe by Bill Conti: Quite good stuff Bill, uncomplicated and tuneful, very cartoonish with broad, big colours and gestures.

I know people consider the score to be a Williams clone and it basically is, but I can't stop listening to the hell out of it. It's so good, and full of themes! One of Conti's absolute best. 

Andrey Rublyov - Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov

One of the strongest scores for a Tarkovski movie. It has a stark but ethereal tone poem quality. Ovchinnikov doesn't try to drive the narrative, he's more completely focused on Tarkovski's images and creates abstract musical tableaus that still gain a surprising amount of emotional resonance. It's a bit like an academically more sophisticated 'Thin Red Line'. If you are into musical form and expression beyond usual Hollywood stuff, give it a try.

On June 6, 1944, Canada participated as a full partner with the United States and the United Kingdom in the greatest amphibious invasion in history. Code-named Operation Overlord, but generally known as D-Day, the invasion included 14,000 Canadians among the nearly 150,000 Allied troops who landed or parachuted onto the beaches of Normandy. 

L’image contient peut-être : 2 personnes

On 6/4/2017 at 9:25 PM, Koray Savas said:

Ya'll reckon that he'll score Justice League?

On 6/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, Disco Stu said:

Didn't he say he was done with superhero scores?

On 6/4/2017 at 9:40 PM, Koray Savas said:

When? He just did Batman v Superman!

We only had a 6 page thread about it...

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26231-hans-zimmer-retires-from-superhero-genre/

8 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Heartbeeps - John Williams

I absolutely love this score.  The love theme and the "Going to Sleep" theme are some of Williams' most beautiful and heartbreaking melodies.

Hey, Mr. Williams, what do you wait to write a suite???

Suite from Heartbeeps for Commodore 64 and orchestra.

4 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I absolutely love this score.  The love theme and the "Going to Sleep" theme are some of Williams' most beautiful and heartbreaking melodies.

We are the only ones!

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

There are some lovely moments in the score presaging some of Williams' later comedic and whimsical material from scores like The Terminal. But then there is also the wacky stuff of which the Crimebuster is the funniest and best!