What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

Amistad by John Williams

:music:Black Beauty by Danny Elfman

8 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

They'll just ruin it. The existing CD has some of the best dynamic range I've ever heard in a film score.

It is all true. But I haven't got this in my collection. It's impossible to find.

Karol

Marie Ward by Elmer Bernstein - Beautiful though a bit typucal, Bernstein "Americana sweeping" sounding stuff. Of course the ondnes martenot is there, but this being made in the 80's, it's to be expected. Great stuff otherwise. 

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Secret of NIMH by Jerry Goldsmith. The score is a masterpiece... but I'm not fond of those songs.

Set set piece is just great:

Karol

Sadly I haven't been able to "get" this score's greatness despite numerous listens. For all its endearing qualities it doesn't really register as a masterpiece with me. And the song isn't my favourite either, especially when sung by Paul "Croaking" Williams.

LOTR: T2T CR

Not sure what it is, but this one is a real drag in complete form. As opposed to FOTR, T2T is more engaging in its OST form. Still a strong score, but suffers from some kind of middle chapter sag.

Next up, ROTK CR. Despite owning it for several years, never had the will power to commit to it due to its gargantuan length.

Rabbit & Rogue - Danny Elfman

A ballet score, not a film score but then again the thread title doesn't specify ;) 

Over the past year or so, this has really cemented itself as one of my favorite things Elfman has ever done.  It's that good.  It's sooooooooo freakin' good.

I just preordered the CD/DVD combo that's apparently releasing next week finally!

https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Rogue-Original-Ballet-Score/dp/B06XKNDCNL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498226352&sr=8-1&keywords=rabbit+rogue

OMG I had no idea this was coming out! And it appears to be already out in the UK.

Frost/Nixon by Hans Zimmer

Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman

Abzu by Austin Wintory

Tale of a Lake by Panu Aaltio

High-Rise by Clint Mansell

EDIT: Turns out they have Rabbit & Rogue at my local HMV. Just bought it. :)

Karol

Star Trek Beyond.

Still underwelming. The Yorktown theme is rather good. The problem though is that it really isn't used much at all. Which is quite common nowadays with film music. There are good themes sometimes, that get so underused. 

39 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You could use a bit of Russian in your film music, comrade! 

Holodna, hmura, 
I mrachna v dushe. 
Kak mog znat’ ya, shto ti umryosh’?

Da svidania, bereg radnoy – 
Kak nam trudna predstavit’, shto eto nye son’. 
Rodina – dom radnoy, 
Da svidania, rodina.

I v pohod i v pohod nas volna marskaya zdyot nye dazhdyotsya. 
Nas zavut marksaya dal’ i priboy!

Salyut otsam i nashim dedam, 
Zavyetam ih vsegda verni. 
Teper’ nishto nye astanovit 
Pabedniy shag radnoy strain.

Ti plivi, plivi besstrashna 
Gordast’ Severnih Maryey. 
Revolyutsii nadeshda, sgustok vyeri vseh lyudey.

V okytabre, v okyabre, 
Reportuyem mi nashi pabedi. 
V okytabre, v okyabre, noviy mir dali nam nashi dedi. 

48 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Nice tits?

Yes and she also resembles Christina Ricci. Most importantly, though, she seems to care the most about The Doctor than any of the other companions.

Megaforce by Jerrold Immel - Once you get past the 80's ness synth / funk of it (which is fun), there are some really good orchestral cues in this score. A fun score, so happy someone uploaded it onto youtube in its entirety. One of my favorite bad movies to watch too. "Oh, I just wanted to say good-bye and remind you that the good guys always win, even in the eighties".

The Fury by John Williams

Lair by John Debney

Return to Oz by David Shire

Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

:music: Lights, Camera... Music! - 6 Decades of John Williams. It's a very interesting selection of music, something I actually really applaud. But that's just about it. Rather disappointing performances. Not something I'll revisiting often (if ever). But then, I was disappointed with Williams' own compilation earlier this year.  That one was better performed and recorded but left me cold overall (apart from Amistad and Marions' theme). For some reason, Williams' music lives and breathes on the screen and the film performances tend to be more inspired. Plus, he often makes some weird musical choices in his concert suites - Poe's theme in TFA Finale, the awkward transitions in War Horse etc.

Karol - who didn't even know this new Boston Pops compilation even existed until today

Music for Stage and ScreenThe Born on the Fourth of July Suite (Boston Pops and John Williams): Man this is a great album but in particular I have to give shout out to this suite. Lyrical, haunting and dark stuff but oh so beautiful.

Stargate by David Arnold

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace (some or other great complete edit) by John Williams

Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (RCA Victor release) by John Williams

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Lights, Camera... Music! - 6 Decades of John Williams. It's a very interesting selection of music, something I actually really applaud. But that's just about it. Rather disappointing performances. Not something I'll revisiting often (if ever). But then, I was disappointed with Williams' own compilation earlier this year.  That one was better performed and recorded but left me cold overall (apart from Amistad and Marions' theme). For some reason, Williams' music lives and breathes on the screen and the film performances tend to be more inspired. Plus, he often makes some weird musical choices in his concert suites - Poe's theme in TFA Finale, the awkward transitions in War Horse etc.

Karol - who didn't even know this new Boston Pops compilation even existed until today

What's wrong with Poe's theme?