What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't like how he handles it in the concert suite. Sounds awkward. Prefer the album version.

Karol

Ditto.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

How did you get hold of the 5.1 version?

On 6/23/2017 at 9:59 AM, Disco Stu said:

Rabbit & Rogue - Danny Elfman

A ballet score, not a film score but then again the thread title doesn't specify ;) 

Over the past year or so, this has really cemented itself as one of my favorite things Elfman has ever done.  It's that good.  It's sooooooooo freakin' good.

I just preordered the CD/DVD combo that's apparently releasing next week finally!

https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Rogue-Original-Ballet-Score/dp/B06XKNDCNL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498226352&sr=8-1&keywords=rabbit+rogue

On 6/23/2017 at 10:27 AM, crocodile said:

OMG I had no idea this was coming out! And it appears to be already out in the UK.

EDIT: Turns out they have Rabbit & Rogue at my local HMV. Just bought it. :)

Karol

Spider-Man 1 & 2 by Danny Elfman.

I'm eagerly looking forward to his Justice League score and re-visiting a lot of my favourite albums by him. Although I like all the Spidey scores so far (MG's theme for the upcoming movie is alright too), for me Mr. Elfman's Main Titles music will always be at the top. Helps that I have a nostalgic attachment to these two movies as well. I remember my teacher in 8th class putting on some of the first movie in our computer lab during free hours, and I loved the Parade Attack music so much. This theme 1:43 into the main titles is just so gorgeous. I hope to see expanded releases in the future.

Looking for Richard by Howard Shore: Pretty terrific proto-LotR material here although it is perhaps on the whole a tad too solemnly gloomy for its own good. I tend to think of it as a spiritual sibling of Silence of the Lambs with epic chorus and organ mixed in.

Just when you thought Hollywood movies can't have any distinguishing features, idiomatically. Rejected, with honours, though. Corigliano is not just a stuffy concert guy, his music has, next to gruelling dissonances, emotional resonance and would have elevated the wasteful revenge flick. 

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

Just when you thought Hollywood movies can't have any distinguishing features, idiomatically. Rejected, with honours, though. Corigliano is not just a stuffy concert guy, his music has, next to gruelling dissonances, emotional resonance and would have elevated the wasteful revenge flick. 

Hmm. That's good shit.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Why was it rejected?

The usual.  Convulsive, indulgent changes to the film which rendered the existing score useless.

It was based on some slow 80's BBC miniseries with Bob Peck, also directed by Martin Campbell. When Warner Brothers saw the end result they requested hefty cuts and more action scenes. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Aww. That's a good score, from a much -maligned, but not-bad-actually film.

It's great fun, the ondnes martenot gets overused per-usual yes, but there are several great themes. Very letimotif heavy as well.

I have a soft spot for the film too, since I grew-up with it and have a lot of nostalgia for it, flawed as it may be. The Horned King terrified me as a child. 

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

While the replacement yielded Shore in always satisfying seething aleatory mode, it was insane for it to be rejected in the first place.

I actually enjoy both.

Corigliano is actually quite a strong melodist. Every score of his has at least one strong theme.

Karol

Both are good scores, though Corigliano's effort is clearly the superior one, albeit one designed for a different kind of film.

55 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I actually enjoy both.

So do I.  But if bean counters had any sense, they wouldn't add yet another snub to a composer of John's caliber.  What life he would bring into Hollywood....

:music: Sin City by Greame Revell, John Debney and Robert Rodriguez. This is probably the only collaboration type of scores that is actually stronger because of its diversity. Every composer has a different take and it all still forms a perfectly enjoyable and coherent score. The Rodriguez's stuff is probably most bare-boned but somewhat effective for the most heroic section of the story. But Revell and Debney section is where the score truly shines.

I love Revell's mostly synth score with some live elements. They perfectly illustrate's Marv's madness and rage:

Debney's middle section is even better - orchestral, elegant and classy. It's actually the best things he's ever done in my opinion:

Even better than anything else on the album is, of course, the concert piece Sensemaya by Silvestre Revueltas (which sounds like Mexican take on The Rite of Spring)

Karol

It's slight, without question, but when things are still relaxed in Michelle Pfeiffer's world - before the unbecoming sequencer action takes over - Goldsmith takes a rear view into the better times of 'Lillies of the Field' and 'A Patch of Blue' (tracks 2, 3, 4) and the bluesy piano improvisations make the rather banal main theme shine. At key points f the movie, the filmmakers took a piano piece by another composer that is pretty but undistinct and threw the Jerry out. A first omen of times to come...

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore: This score simply oozes Slavic moodiness exemplified by the elegant violin solos by Nicola Benedetti, jittery cimbalom and blue hued clarinet that give the score a strong and clear ethnic cast as the story is set in the Russian community in London. It is a quiet affair for the most part but potent as the composer wraps the listener slowly in a dark, sorrowful and subtly ominous musical world with quiet tragic beauty. While it could be described as monochromatic and single-minded in tone, the score contains well-thought out instrumental colours that give it added charm and variety.

The violin is given the central voice that carries the fragile sorrow and hauntingly lyrical tones found in Cronenberg's story and Shore handles it all with panache and clear enthusiasm for the idiom as Benedetti's instrument sings out such graceful tragic soliloquies throughout the work. Here Shore also writes a very distinct almost bleak but lyrical main theme that continually appears through the fabric of the music and seems to encapsulate the film's mood perfectly, the repeated violin phrase midway a sigh and a plea for help. Always a master of the darker tones the composer alternates here between bleakness and beauty, achingly tragic and grimly brooding with ease and deftly both paints the aural tale in its own right on album while digging deep into the subtexts of the film with his music.

This music belongs in the intervening years between Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit scores and sadly often go unnoticed and unmentioned and while the epics of Shore's later career are indeed grand (I guess they were actually the true surprise of his career) I have come to find that these smaller projects before and after offer wonderful glimpses to the versatility of the composer's musical voice.

:music:City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

Wonderful late Maurice Jarre score. His melodies tended to be dodgy but this one has the right swing between flowery lyricism and cozy south-of-the-border spirit - it's Jarre's 'Medicine Man'. For all the romantic nuts out there it's a sure bet.

18 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's great fun, the ondnes martenot gets overused per-usual yes, but there are several great themes. Very letimotif heavy as well.

I have a soft spot for the film too, since I grew-up with it and have a lot of nostalgia for it, flawed as it may be. The Horned King terrified me as a child. 

Nice. I wish I'd seen it in 70mm.

13 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Hindenburg by David Shire

A great, great score, from an underrated film.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Nice. I wish I'd seen it in 70mm.

A great, great score, from an underrated film.

Growing up I had a VHS copy of The Black Cauldron, so for years I had no idea for years that Disney was ashamed of the film, I just assumed it was them trying something different at the time.

Yeah it's not a bad film, better then its reputation suggests, yes it's fictionalizing a disaster, but that's no better or worse then most true story films. It's got a great cast and it looks good as well. 

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

That's why Sponge Out of Water is better. It's that score's merits but with less exhaustion and more variety. :D

But maybe what about those who are interested in exhausting music?

Jurassic Park by John Williams

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration by John Williams

:music:Treesong by John Williams