What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Godzilla

Maleficent

How to Train Your Dragon 2

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Hey, the summer of 2014 had a fairly decent lineup.

Karol

The last truly solid period for film music (mainstream film music at least).  Everything since then has been pretty slim pickings.  A good score every quarter year or so (give or take a few)

The River by John Williams: This one is a small scale little gem from the 1980's with a nice blend of different Americana elements and numerous solos for guitar and flute.

The Reivers - John Williams

I used to be slightly embarrassed of how much I loved this OST.  But this score only gains more power for me as the years pass by.  It's fun, it's wistful, it's bluesy, at times it's even emotionally powerful.  Just great.  Reminds me a lot of Copland's Red Pony score (a masterpiece if there ever was one)  but looser and sillier.

If I was ever foolish enough to rank my favorite Williams scores (something I will never ever ever do) it'd probably in my top 10.  I think I see what that young Spielberg fella saw in this score to make him want to hire the composer! ;) 

7 hours ago, Bespin said:

John Williams - The River

Great as usual!

Finished the day with Pete 'n' Tillie. Great also!

I'm so glad to have taste in music (and to be a little snob)... I just love the bests of the bests!

The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

Released around the same time as The Mummy, and always a bit under it's shadow. Both feature Jerry's "Arabic" writing and both have a massive soundscape in which the full fury of the orchestra is unleashed.

Of the two I've always preferred The 13Th Warrior, which is a bit more cohesive to my ears, and has a really good main theme. 

For the most part this is mystery/suspense scoring. There's only a few moments of balls to the wall action. But The Fire Dragon has always been a standout 90's Goldsmith action cue. And the battery of percussion unleased in Valhalla/Viking Victory is impressive.

The boot I've had since the early 2000's runs a bit too long. The film is something of a mess and Goldsmith can't always escape that. Though of course even the auto-pilot parts remain technically polished. I should probably look for the OST.

I've never understood why The 13th Warrior constantly gets a higher rating than The Mummy in shootouts between the two. Am I missing something? The Mummy was the one with the bigger, bolder themes, flourishing romance and sweeping action. Whereas 13th Warrior shares its DNA but feels more restrained.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I guess overall it is more restrained. Though I don't recall The Mummy having a killer track like The Firedragon. 

Great cue, but for me, His Favourite Plague has at least the same killer factor. I've grown to like 13th Warrior quite a lot over the years, though - I used to not care for the second half at all.

I was listening to "The Ride to Dubno" yesterday from the OST, but I didn't know CoP recorded the whole score! Must listen to it soon...

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you warmed up to Nemesis? Which was proclaimed to be the best score of 2002!

No. But to Timeline. I still think it's disappointingly straightforward (simplistic?) for a Goldsmith score, but it's fun enough.

John Williams - Jurassic Park (LLL Complete)

John Williams - The Lost World (LLL Complete)

I just can't get enough of these two scores!  I've probably listened to these more often than any other score expansion in a very very very long time, and its only been out for 7 months!  I just LOVE both these scores, and am so happy they got a definitive presentation.  Keep up the good work, LLL & MM!

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL Complete)

Another one I've spun A LOT since getting it.  Something about this score being short makes it even more appealing than it already is just by its nature of being a great score.  I often put it on after listening to some epic/long score like Lost World or whatever, its a nice pallette cleanser in terms of being short, but also its just SO satisfying.  Love every bit of this score.

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Complete)

Dusted this one off since I hadn't checked it out in a while once the JP set and Twister came out.  Boy, its still great!  Its a nice 80 minute listen, but you could assemble a lean 60 minute cut that would be pretty baller, I think.  Really good score.

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Complete)

Another one I dusted off recently, though I practically having stopped listening to it regularly since it came out.  I like this more than Silvestri's original, its just a super fun, energetic score with some nice undercurrents of doom mixed it with the fun percussion.

John Williams - Stanley & Iris (Varese Complete)

A nice score that is completely satisfying WHEN you're in the mood for it.  Not something I want to listen to frequently, but when the fancy strikes me, its aces.

John Williams - Pete N Tillie (Varese Complete)

I always listen to this right after S&I.  And I always like it even more!

Michael Giacchino - The Book of Henry

Nice score, but it kind of got immediately overshadowed by both Spider-man and War for the POTA.  I think I won't revisit it again until I've actually seen the film and know what all this music is for.

Michael Giacchino - War For The Planet of the Apes

Such an unexpected, subdued score; It seems MG was really inspired by this film.  I'm looking forward to seeing the film and putting this music in context.  I don't know if I'll listen to it that many more times before I see the film, as it seems to demand a more focuses listen instead of a casual one

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Well this score is just fun.  I've had the two main themes stuck in my head all day.  I'd be happy with this kind of summer score every summer

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Eurgh...this is so good it makes me wanna throw up.

Did someone forced you to listen to that? We can try to talk to him if you want.

A couple of Herrmann re-recordings:

Battle of Neretva - Herrmann, re-recorded by William Stromberg and that Russian orchestra

After discovering the OST on Youtube last month, this score has quickly become one of absolute favorite Herrmann scores.  I think I prefer the performances of the OST (which itself I think is a re-recording Herrmann did with the LPO), but of course this Stromberg re-recording is complete and a fine performance nonetheless.  Very very happy I bought it.  The main theme is an absolute scorcher!

Vertigo - Herrmann, re-recorded by Joel McNeely and that Scottish orchestra

A classic re-recording, of course.  An old favorite.

Listened to some scores on Spotify yesterday

Alan Silvestri - Volcano (OST)

Just can't get into this score *shrug*  It was over so quick, too!

Alan Silvestri - Contact (OST)

Classic!  What a great score and film.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Alan Silvestri - Contact (OST)

Classic!  What a great score and film.

I love it too, even if the main theme is a little too similar for comfort to the main Forrest Gump theme.

Forrest Gump is a film I haven't seen since the 90s, and a score album I've never listened to! 

I guess I'm kind of waiting for the inevitable expansion

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Forrest Gump is a film I haven't seen since the 90s, and a score album I've never listened to! 

I guess I'm kind of waiting for the inevitable expansion

This will take you 15 seconds:

Listen to the piano theme that starts at 9 seconds in here:

And the very beginning here:

They're in different keys, but start with almost exactly the same intervals and have very similar rhythms.

Both are quite pretty and I think I prefer the Contact melody.