What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Adventures of Don Juan - Max Steiner. The Stromberg re-recording.

Boy that score is fun.

I recently rediscovered the CD with the original recording, and was surprised how good it sounds. Of course the best nine and a half minutes from this score are the suite recorded by Gerhardt.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Of course the best nine and a half minutes from this score are the suite recorded by Gerhardt.

Which Gerhardt album is that?  There are so many!  The only Steiner focused one I have on my phone currently is "Now Voyager: The Classic Film Scores of Max Steiner" with no Don Juan suite.

This one.

One of the best from the series. All the selections are spectacular. The best Sea Hawk and the best Robin Hood you'll get. The little Captain Blood nugget is sublime. And the Friedhofer cue is stunning.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

This one.

One of the best from the series. All the selections are spectacular. The best Sea Hawk and the best Robin Hood you'll get. The little Captain Blood nugget is sublime. And the Friedhofer cue is stunning.

Ahhhh yes, I've listened to that one streaming on Google Play before but don't own it.  I'll listen to that suite right now!

2 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's a wonderful performance.

Both Gerhardt and Stromberg more than do justice to my favorite cue of the score, "London Processional."

Here's Stromberg's:

6 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

Yes, unfortunately, I don't have the LLL edition yet. :mellow:

It's on sale right now for $25.  If you're still not able, I hope you find yourself in a position to buy it before it sells out!  It would've been my favorite specialty label release of last year if not for a certain black Friday release ;) 

Jerry Goldsmith - The Mummy (OST)

OMG... where have you been all my life?

I've had this OST since the 90s but I dunno, never really listened to it much - I have no idea why.  I recently began a project of purposely listening to EVERY physical CD I own (as in, listening to the actual disc not a rip) and arrived at this one this week.  I was blown away by how good it was!  It doesn't just feature cool ethnic colors and good action music, but lots of classic Jerry-isms I love so much.  I already want to listen to it again!

Bring on the expanded release!

Some of it is bit incoherent and shallow and just trying to hit the beats happening on screen, probably at the insistence of filmmakers. Makes me think Goldsmith hated the job. The penultimate track is probably the best example of what I'm talking about. Writing something as aimless as this  is bit below a composer of this stature (to paraphrase Don Davis). But yeah, overall it is a nice score.

Karol

I just realized that most of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores are sci-fi in nature.  Alien, Star Trek TMP, Total Recall, Gremlins, etc.  And feature sci-fi type colors.

But this one featured no sci-fi stylings at all, so was refreshing in that way!  Air Force One is another favorite of mine with no sci-fi sounds, but that's so bombastic and also generally same-sounding throughout (I still love it, though).  This one moved through all kinds of cool different sounds as it went on.

What fun!

17 minutes ago, Romão said:

The Mummy, lile Stu said, is one hell of an entertaining score.

This one of my favorite Goldsmith tracks (specially after the  2:52)

Absolutely. The best part of the score, and one of my favourite rhythmic Goldsmith bits of all time!

Also, The Caravan has an understated elegance I only noticed after years of listening to the score:

I've always really liked the music for when the two groups are exploring the hidden city up to Imhotep's awakening.  They're maybe not the most exciting cues but I really dig the mood and the melodies.

It's been so long since I listened to the OST I can't remember if they're included there.  Got a sessions edit I'm really happy with (not one I made).

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I've had this OST since the 90s but I dunno, never really listened to it much - I have no idea why.  I recently began a project of purposely listening to EVERY physical CD I own (as in, listening to the actual disc not a rip) and arrived at this one this week.  I was blown away by how good it was!  It doesn't just feature cool ethnic colors and good action music, but lots of classic Jerry-isms I love so much.  I already want to listen to it again!

Whoah! You hadn't listened to The Mummy before now?! Crazy! Absolutely crazy!

It is one of Jerry's flat out entertaining scores and my first Jerry Goldsmith CD. Although Jerry reportedly hated the working experience on this one, I can't hear it in the music at all. It's really all that such an action/adventure score should be.

Discovered an unmarked CD-R in my CD case today, and popped it into my car's stereo. Surprisingly, it had a collection of tracks from the Complete Batman Returns release.

And, I came to the conclusion that the Main Title music in this score is the most energetic, chilling and rousing Opening Titles cue ever recorded.

The main theme is genius, the intermingling of themes masterful, the tempo perfect, the breathless rhythm heartpumping, the choir bonechilling, and the orchestration perfect. The main theme being passed from brass to menacing woodwinds to high strings, with the children's choir shouting in between sends shivers up and down my spine.

And it's about the only piece in the film that actually profits from the close spaced, reverbless recording. I love it when you can hear the chalk on the string rhythms, and the gnarlyness of the woodwinds.

This is one of very few film score pieces that I'm in awe of, each and every time. Without fail.

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's on sale right now for $25.  If you're still not able, I hope you find yourself in a position to buy it before it sells out!  It would've been my favorite specialty label release of last year if not for a certain black Friday release ;) 

Yeah, the Beverly Hills Cop release was awesome!

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Whoah! You hadn't listened to The Mummy before now?! Crazy! Absolutely crazy!

Read my post more carefully, Inky!

16 hours ago, Jay said:

I listened to it before, it just hasn't been a staple for the last 18 years... like it should have!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I did also buy that one when it came out last year.  A fun curiosity, nothing more.

I bet it was worth it for this track alone!!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Read my post more carefully, Inky!

I listened to it before, it just hasn't been a staple for the last 18 years... like it should have!

Whoah! You hadn't listened to The Mummy much before now?! Crazy! Absolutely crazy!

*Fixed!

Far and Away (Didn't really care for this. Williams isn't as good as Horner at the Celtic/Irish sounds. I'm not sure why he used so much Ian flute. Never seen the film, apparently is awful). 

The Mummy (Kinda want to see the film again)

Aliens (so good)

The Perfect Storm right now 

9 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Far and Away (Didn't really care for this. Williams isn't as good as Horner at the Celtic/Irish sounds. I'm not sure why he used so much Ian flute. Never seen the film, apparently is awful). 

I love that score! Yes the pan flute is an odd addition to the palette. And JW is clearly going for a Hollywood version of Irish music with his score with only small patches of some Chieftain instrumental authenticity to give it Celtic colouration. The Americana toward the end of the score is absolutely wonderful as Williams moves to the grand orchestral bmmmm-tzzz territory with vengeance.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I love that score! Yes the pan flute is an odd addition to the palette. And JW is clearly going for a Hollywood version of Irish music with his score with only small patches of some Chieftain instrumental authenticity to give it Celtic colouration. The Americana toward the end of the score is absolutely wonderful as Williams moves to the grand orchestral bmmmm-tzzz territory with vengeance.

It was my first time listening and I expected something more Celtic sounding but it is more of Johnny's Americana. Maybe a repeat listen sometime in the future might result in a more enjoyable listening experience. 

A pity though. 

Horner made great use of Celtic textures and instruments in Braveheart and Titanic and Eliot Goldenthaal did such a fantastic job adding them to Michael Collins which seem to marry Irishness and his usual slightly more atonal stuff into a very nice whole. 

You're absolutely right, Inky: It is pretty crazy I haven't been listening to The Mummy regularly since it came out.  I have no idea what it was about it that didn't tickle my fancy back in the day!

How much of a different listening experience is the complete score compared to the OST album?

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Far and Away. Never seen the film, (apparently is awful).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Very awful

It is. It's awful. It's muthafuckingly bad. It's underwear-fillingly  terrible.

Not even Robert Prosky could save it. That's how bad it is.

Still...I'd like to have seen it, in 70mm.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You're absolutely right, Inky: It is pretty crazy I haven't been listening to The Mummy regularly since it came out.  I have no idea what it was about it that didn't tickle my fancy back in the day!

How much of a different listening experience is the complete score compared to the OST album?

The album contains the lion's share of the highlights apart from two or three more substantial cues, including the Sand Storm/Sand Wall cue pub mentioned above. The complete score suffers a bit from the strings of short consecutive cues that litter the middle portion of the film so the album actually makes a great listening experience in comparison. But I would buy a complete version in a heartbeat.

I'm aware of its somewhat notorious reputation, but personally, I've always liked it. Especially early action cues (The Adventures of Mutt, The Journey to Akator, A Whirl Through Academe) are a joy to listen to. It's an Indy and a JW score after all! :D

21 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

I'm aware of its somewhat notorious reputation, but personally, I've always liked it. Especially early action cues (The Adventures of Mutt, The Journey to Akator, A Whirl Through Academe) are a joy to listen to. It's an Indy and a JW score after all! :D

I am not ashamed to say that I have always liked it too. :)