What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

selected tracks from Jerry Goldsmith -40 Years in Film Music

Barry Gray's Thunderbirds Are Go/Thunderbird 6

George Martin's Live & Let Die

Passport to Pimlico/Ice Cold in Alex/The Titfield Thunderbolt- found tracks via Amazon from albums largely done by the BBC (Auric: Film Music, Rawsthorne Film Music etc)

Always by John Williams: Among the Clouds is simply sublime. James Thatcher's solo horn passages are glorious throughout.

Bad Girls

After seeing the movie for the first time last night, I figured I'd give this a whirl. Although a bit generic, it hits the right tone for the film. I was tempted a few times to pick up th LLL but the extra tracks seem to just be short 40 secondpieces. The OST seems to have all the highlights.

The Maurice Jarre rejected score is more sophisticated but also awfully misguided in its overwrought action music. Sid Sheinberg apparently wanted to reject the Jerry as well but they ran out of time. Good old Sid...

4 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

The River Wild OST

Everything that defines a 90s Goldsmith score is right here, lush romantic theme, clicky synth pads for the baddies, blasting action and rhymic suspense cues.

I love the rendition of "The Water Is Wide" by the Cowboy Junkies that plays over the end credits.  They used to be one of my favorite bands, actually.

The Score by Howard Shore: Jazzy heist music in modern idiom but with nice genre nods to both spy movies and thrillers. Shore-isms abound but this is a very entertaining album that is constantly on the move with nervous energy. Always a pleasure to hear the composer's range in these smaller less full symphonic ensemble driven pieces.

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Great!

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond (Varese DE)

Great score, stupid title

John Williams - Return of the Jedi (Complete)

Masterpiece!

James Newton Howard - Waterworld (Complete)

I've listened to this 2-3 times now since the LLL announcement.  I am in the camp that there is some very good action music in the complete score that wasn't on the OST, and the complete and chronological score is a good listen that never gets boring.  That being said, I do agree that JNH picked all the best cues to make up the OST, and did arrange them in a good order ot make a great listening experience.  I think the score is kind of like Cutthroat Island in that regard.  That score also had a long OST with all the right highlights chosen, and presented completely out of order, and a later 2CD complete release that some really appreciate, and some think is too much music and the OST is enough.  I think the LLL Waterworld will receive the same commentary.

John Morris -  Spaceballs (LLL)

Heh, great fun!  The main program is all you need, don't bother with the bonus track section.  45 minutes of fun!

The Book of Henry - Michael Giacchino

3 1/2-5.

Nice themes and pleasant to listen to. But as a whole, kind of forgettable. I'm not humming anything, and have already forgotten the themes. But it was a nice listen in the background while at work.

5 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

3 1/2-5.

Nice themes and pleasant to listen to. But as a whole, kind of forgettable. I'm not humming anything, and have already forgotten the themes. But it was a nice listen in the background while at work.

Agreed. 

5 hours ago, Johnnyecks said:

3 1/2-5.

Not a great score but I enjoy the main theme more than anything else Gia has done recently.  

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Not a great score but I enjoy the main theme more than anything else Gia has done recently.  

Even more than "Night on the Yorktown"? Not for me.

Wait, BB, you realize the actual film itself contains a theme suite medley over the end credits, right?

I listened to your theme edit BB.  I'll be kind and say the one in the end credits of the film is better.  Sorry!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I know, but it's just a bunch of cues put one after another with no flow.

I wanted to create something that felt like one cohesive piece of music. Whether I've succeeded or not, that's another matter...

My own Varése style 30 minute edit and that's all i  ever need.

8g3c6o2j.png

3 hours ago, publicist said:

My own Varése style 30 minute edit and that's all i  ever need.

I just listened to that and discovered that there is some cool stuff I'd forgotten after all. Which means I still don't know if I want the 2CD, but I also can't say I'm completely not interested in it...

Far and Away

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Fury

:music: The Happening. Can't imagine what JNH must have been thinking of this assignment. I never experienced a composer working this hard to try to sell a film this terrible. This is one of my favourite scores of his actually.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Far and Away

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Fury

:music: The Happening. Can't imagine what JNH must have been thinking of this assignment. I never experienced a composer working this hard to try to sell a film this terrible. This is one of my favourite scores of his actually.

Karol

I remember I wasn't at first particularly impressed but on subsequent listens JNH's concept and thematic ideas and development actually felt really strong and it is another score that transcends the film awful it was written for.

As I have said before all the JNH/Shyamalan collaborations up to After Earth have been more or less impressive or downright brilliant whether understated effective whispering suspense like the Sixth Sense or the lyrical rural ghostliness of The Village.

Actually LLL should do a whole expanded series on these scores. I do not deny that I would e.g. like a complete version of The Last Airbender with full choir.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

(incomprehensive selection)

Old Jerrald was the king of elevating crappy films with great music.

The last time i have listened to these in succession was probably in 1995.

This 1960 Technicolor MGM/Michael Curtiz/Tony Randall movie ran on west and east german tv every second week in the 80's. It sports a great Jerome Moross americana score ('The Big Country's little brother) and is etched into my subconscious more than any Star Wars or Ben-Hur. It needs a remake, with a score by Lorne Balfe!

On 12/8/2017 at 10:18 PM, Maglorfin said:

Patriot_games_LLLCD1259.jpg

I know it'll be controversial to say but this is actually one of my favourite Horner soundtracks.

I've seen the film (which, horrible Irish accents aside, I enjoyed) but I have no recollection of the score. 

23 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I've seen the film (which, horrible Irish accents aside, I enjoyed) but I have no recollection of the score. 

Well you should give it a try. A damn fine effort IMO.