What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I listened to these two from Newman and was lucky enough to find the song "Red River Valley" (a reference to a book I read about five years ago). I did not even remember the name of the song and I recognized it on the moment I set my eyes on the title of the track.

The two scores are so full of life.
Thomas Newman has a singular representation of this feeling.

Superman 2 adapted by Ken Thorne: Not too shabby although relies too much on purely adapting Williams' cues for the new film but hey this was Thorne's brief for the thing so I guess you can't fault him for it. And he does a really good job at the adaptation.

Superman 3 adapted by Ken Thorne: It is nice to hear Thorne coming a bit more onto his own in this one with thematic and setpiece material which alone makes it a more interesting listen to my ears.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams: Stupendous!

:music: Superman 4: Quest for Peace by Alexander Courage and John Williams

Agreed. Throne did a bang-up job on S:II, and got little or no kudos for it.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

:music: Superman 4: Quest for Peace by Alexander Courage and John Williams

Come, on, Inky, don't keep us in suspenders; what do you think of S:IV?

This myth persists that Superman II sounds like it was performed by a high school band with inferior recording technology. The FSM presentation debunked that assertion, but people I talk to still think that's the case.

42 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed. Throne did a bang-up job on S:II, and got little or no kudos for it.

Come, on, Inky, don't keep us in suspenders; what do you think of S:IV?

I am only halfway through the score right now. The new themes JW penned are a bit on the light weight side considering his track record, veering toward comedic, but again the film isn't among the most serious of its kind. Courage also handles the adaptation very well I think and gives Williams' material quite a lot of neat variations and an inventive spin, especially when the new themes are concerned. So I am quite impressed.

:thumbup: Nice. 

It's one if his three best scores, of 1987 :)

19 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

This myth persists that Superman II sounds like it was performed by a high school band with inferior recording technology. The FSM presentation debunked that assertion, but people I talk to still think that's the case.

That was certainly the case, if one listened to it, on an original vinyl pressing. You're right, Jerry; The Blue Box well and truly lays that myth to rest!

Its a really good score, and Thorne never got the credit that he deserved.

The irony is, if that confusing music credit didn't appear on the main titles, I'm sure that most people would have assumed that JW had written it, and no-one would have batted an eyelid. Ho hum.

Ps, I really like HONEYMOON HOTEL.

Have a happy...whatever ;)

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Bit of De Palma score marathon:

The Fury

Obsession

The Casualties of War

The Black Dahlia

Mission: Impossible.

Not a Pino Donaggio fan I take it?

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

Bit of De Palma score marathon:

The Fury

Obsession

The Casualties of War

The Black Dahlia

Mission: Impossible.

Karol

An exellent selection. The man really has an ear for great composers.

And I should take another listen of The Black Dahlia. One of my favourite Isham scores and a fun love letter to the classics of the noir genre.

:music: Turbulence by Shirley Walker. For whatever reason I was in a mood to listen to this Christmas-flavoured score. It might be the wrong time of the year but it's never a bad time to appreciate this piece of badassery that is this Carol of the Bells-based action cue:

Karol

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: A terrific score and perhaps the most "Hobbit" of the three as the new music comes to its own here after the LotR referencing AUJ and before the ear-bleed inducing "more EPIC blockbuster battle music!" aesthetics of BOTFA.

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

...whom we loving call "Elmer"...

I love how Skerritt played that scene where you could hear how many times he'd made that joke for the cameras that day.  Great movie, Contact.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore: Good stuff. Makes me miss the Abbey Road and LPO all the more though. I loved that particular sound for Middle-earth.

:music: House of Frankenstein by Don Davis. Hey I didn't know it was available on Spotify. It is a very strong score actually and sadly never realsed "officially" on a physical medium. Some very nice choral work in there (especially tracks 5 and 12)

Karol

Well...I think it is one of those promo releases. Like the The Core and other things Thaxton would put out back in the day.

I've got this disc actually. And it certainly isn't an official album as such.

Karol

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: I love how this score pushed Williams to somewhat new musical directions by the incorporation of the Japanese musical influences into his standard Western symphonic ensemble. The soloists add so much resonance to the music and the composer employs Yo-Yo Ma's and Itzhak Perlman's talents to the full here even when the lines they perform are not always that complex in and of themselves. The recording is also one of the most nuanced and crispest in a Williams score bringing out just the right amount of reverb and clarity to make every moment from orchestra and soloists shine.

The music is often turned inward, depiction of restrained emotion and outward calm and the composer holds off from grand crescendos until the very end where the piece called Confluence absolutely soars, the music having earned the final big statement of the Sayuri/Chiyo material developed throughout the score. As Yo-Yo Ma once put it, in Williams' writing even the pauses seem to speak, so thoughtfully the notes have been chosen and it is very much so here and nowhere so obvious than in the famous cellist's heartfelt and skilfull solos. Every time I listen to this score I am reminded how fantastic it is from the delicate oboe solos to the evocations of Japanese moods through instrumentation and themes.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

STAR WARS. Enough said.

E.g. the final battle is still some of the most thrilling film music I have ever heard. Nail biting suspense and superb emotional denouement. Enough said indeed.

:thumbup:

An OST like STAR WARS is, now, beyond superlatives, beyond criticism. That's why I passed no comment on it (not that that negates your post, Inky - far from it!). I just can't think of anything else to say about it. As odd as this seems, in JWfan, which is a primarily visual environment, I'd rather let the music speak for itself.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

:thumbup:

An OST like STAR WARS is, now, beyond superlatives, beyond criticism. That's why I passed no comment on it (not that that negates your post, Inky - far from it!). I just can't think of anything else to say about it. As odd as this seems, in JWfan, which is a primarily visual environment, I'd rather let the music speak for itself.

You think an OST and a guy like me?

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: I love how this score pushed Williams to somewhat new musical directions by the incorporation of the Japanese musical influences into his standard Western symphonic ensemble. The soloists add so much resonance to the music and the composer employs Yo-Yo Ma's and Itzhak Perlman's talents to the full here even when the lines they perform are not always that complex in and of themselves. The recording is also one of the most nuanced and crispest in a Williams score bringing out just the right amount of reverb and clarity to make every moment from orchestra and soloists shine.

The music is often turned inward, depiction of restrained emotion and outward calm and the composer holds off from grand crescendos until the very end where the piece called Confluence absolutely soars, the music having earned the final big statement of the Sayuri/Chiyo material developed throughout the score. As Yo-Yo Ma once put it, in Williams' writing even the pauses seem to speak, so thoughtfully the notes have been chosen and it is very much so here and nowhere so obvious than in the famous cellist's heartfelt and skilfull solos. Every time I listen to this score I am reminded how fantastic it is from the delicate oboe solos to the evocations of Japanese moods through instrumentation and themes.

Great post. I also absolutely love the minimalistic touches on tracks like Destiny's Path and As The Water. And Chyo's theme is one of those incredible, long-line, JW themes

Hook by John Williams

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones by John Williams

Nerakhoon (The Betrayal) by Howard Shore

Journey by Austin Wintory

Super III by Ken Thorne (and John Williams)

Jurassic Park by John Williams

A Streetcar Named Desire by Alex North

:music:To Kill a Mockingbird by Elmer Bernstein

36 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hopefully, Inky, not all at the same time?! :lol:

Now, just a damn minute!

"(and John Williams)?

The maestro reduced to a walk-on, in a score that he created? Oh, the humanity!

Over the period of last night and this morning.

And Johnny provided the materials sure. Ken Thorne did the work of plastering variations of his music all over the film. And there is actually some original material in the third score.

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace by the indelible one-and-only and masterful John Williams with adaptation and additional compositions by the ever great orchestrator and composer Alexander Courage

Hellbound: Hellraiser II by Christopher Young

The Thin Red Line - Hans Zimmer

The solo of whatever wind instrument this is here is searing in its delicate beauty:

The tune vaguely reminds me of The Firebird in its opening few notes. 

I really want to see the film - I found The Tree of Life rather boring, yet as someone who's really interested in philosophy, I can't help but get excited about what I've read about Malick's films. However, I am a little nervous about the level of violence - that's the reason why I also haven't seen Saving Private Ryan yet. I did make it through Full Metal Jacket at school, but that's not to say it wasn't a stressful experience.

The battle scenes are incredible, and visceral even, but you don't see much blood being spilt. It doesn't rely as much on gore or outright violence.

It's some of the finest battle scenes ever filmed. It really shows his prowess on a technical level, beyond just pretty pictures and words.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets by Alexandre Desplat: From technical point of view excellent with wonderful orchestrations but on the whole I can't after several listens connect with this score. It has some nifty action passages, colorful quirkiness where it needs it and some musical tropes of sci-fi awe and wonder and a couple of central musical ideas peppered throughout so it has all those bases covered but it lacks something, some intangible spark, to make it truly memorable or singular in my book.

The musical dramaturgy is not half bad in the first half of the album (I excised the source songs from the listening experience) but the score doesn't seem to form a fully satisfying arc from start to finish on the disc and is sorely missing a proper finale as the score just sort of peters out at the end of Final Combat. It is a bit disappointing that one of my favourite contemporary film composers didn't hit it out of the park with such a grandiose sci-fi concept. But oh well, onward and upward to new musical adventures!

:music: The Iron Giant by Michael Kamen

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Desplat failed us! He failed us all! He was not The Composer Who Was Promised after all!

First Giacchino and now Desplat! Oh how wrong the prophesies have been read! I am sure third time is the charm and Mica Levi will be the Chosen One!