What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

While I rarely use Spotify, I went to listen to some Horner music over breakfast and coffee on this beautiful morning when I noticed they put together a Horner playlist. Pretty good so far, although they claim it's "the essential tracks", which obviously is not entirely accurate.

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Thomas Newman, Henry Mancini, and James Horner samplings today 

Ooh, what Mancini scores?

Shin Godzilla by Shiro Sagisu

I loved the movie, and the music was definitely a highlight. Complements the serious, dramatic nature of the movie's "straightforward" tone while still being dynamic and inventive in its own right, and even some nice channeling of Ifukube at a spot or two! Don't know how I feel about them reusing music from the original.

I first discovered Moon River on a complication CD when I was younger actually, and then I saw Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Big fan of Mancini myself. I learned about his name as a kid, and I've been exploring his filmography and discography. Everyone thinks of him as the light cocktail jazz guy, but he could write some real "dark and scary" music too. I'd like to see full releases of Arabesque and Experiment in Terror myself. 

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

Jurassic Park by John Williams

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

Themes and Transcriptions for Piano by John Williams

Waterworld by James Newton Howard

Ben-Hur by Miklós Rózsa

13 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I first discovered Moon River on a complication CD when I was younger actually, and then I saw Breakfast At Tiffany's.

Big fan of Mancini myself. I learned about his name as a kid, and I've been exploring his filmography and discography. Everyone thinks of him as the light cocktail jazz guy, but he could write some real "dark and scary" music too. I'd like to see full releases of Arabesque and Experiment in Terror myself. 

Lest we forget those cozy long epics from yesteryear:

I think Henry Mancini is really great.  I haven't listen to a ton of his scores yet, and haven't even seen most of the films he scored.  But out of all the 60s film score music I heard, he easily wrote the most that I really like.  And then he went on keep making continually fun Pink Panther scores in the 70s-90s too - I have no idea what his non-Panther work from the 70s-90s is like, but I want to hear it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think Henry Mancini is really great.  I haven't listen to a ton of his scores yet, and haven't even seen most of the films he scored.  But out of all the 60s film score music I heard, he easily wrote the most that I really like.  And then he went on keep making continually fun Pink Panther scores in the 70s-90s too - I have no idea what his non-Panther work from the 70s-90s is like, but I want to hear it!

Perhaps you'd like:

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Lest we forget those cozy long epics from yesteryear:

Great score with an appropriate "Irish" flavor. Same year he did Sunflower and The Hawaiians too, so 1970 was a varied year. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Some of his music from the 70's and 80's, is very interesting and different upon exploration. There's a lot of comedy scores as to be expected, and most of them very enjoyable (The Great Chefs of Europe and Silver Streak being particular favorites), but he tried twice to make "themeless scores" (sans the title), both for horror films. The second of which, his rejected score for Hitchcock's Frenzy, remains one of my "holy grails" in terms of replaced music. 

I'd also recommend Mancini's miniseries work. There's a lot to choose from though, since he did a variety of scored, and he had knack for writing themes, which helped. A lot of his scores are on youtube and spotify in full, but some of the more interesting stuff tends to be a bit harder to find (at least in the full), even though most of it, has thankfully been released. 

20 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I loved the movie, and the music was definitely a highlight. Complements the serious, dramatic nature of the movie's "straightforward" tone while still being dynamic and inventive in its own right, and even some nice channeling of Ifukube at a spot or two! Don't know how I feel about them reusing music from the original.

And from Evangelion, and that one in turn from James Bond...

24 minutes ago, Brónach said:

And from Evangelion, and that one in turn from James Bond...

Ha, yeah, that too. I remember that throwing me for a loop when it first popped up in the movie. That idea gets some variation throughout the score rather than a complete 1:1 copy and paste, which is nice, but I still don't know--I wonder if it was Sagisu's idea or Anno's: "Shiro, this is the best getting-down-to-business music, you can't top it, and we gotta have it!"

EDIT: Holy crap, I didn't listen to that Evangelion clip before replying; I didn't know he went full-on 007 with it.

Still, for me that timpani cue was one of the "comfort foods" of the show (Evangelion); it showed up so consistently you knew every time you heard it it was time for everyone to buckle down and pull tactical miracles out of nowhere.

5 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Perhaps you'd like:

Mancini was an unusual choice, for a project like LIFEFORCE, but it's damn good stuff!

I'm so glad I picked up the Blu, cheap.

NIGHTWING, however, remains my all time favourite Mancini score.

A History of Violence by Howard Shore: A curious mix of Shore's Cronenberg sensibilities and his concurrent Middle-earth music. Low-keyd it might be for the most part but it works.

Superman: The movie (2008, FSM) (Still waiting for a stand-alone release on CD, then I'll be "legit"... eh, that's life!)

I'm still looking after the japan CD containing all the original LP program.. still hard to find... at a good price.

15 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Did you manage to listen to the final tracks without crying?

Don't lie to me!

There might have been a dust mote in my eye that made it water up a bit. Nothing more I assure you!

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I really enjoyed the fun 60s score for Murder, She Said by Ron Goodwin.  Just listened to this suite Goodwin arranged of cues from all three of his Miss Marple scores.  I really like it!

I prefer the 1980's series music by Alan Blaikley and Ken Howard. And Joan Hickson is also the quintessential Ms. Marple as well (just as Suchet is the definitive Poirot).