What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Watery Lady - James Newman Horner

But really, this is a great score.  Fantastic recording too.  I love how hot some of the big moments are.  You could blow out a window!

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Howard Shore

This was my first time listening to it, after just completing my first listens to the OSTs of TTT and ROTK (I'd already heard FOTR a couple times). 

I actually have to say that, at least on first listen, I think I liked it better than any of the original three! However, just from some posts I've seen on this forum over the years I don't think that's a very popular opinion here.

18 hours ago, Will said:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Howard Shore

This was my first time listening to it, after just completing my first listens to the OSTs of TTT and ROTK (I'd already heard FOTR a couple times). 

I actually have to say that, at least on first listen, I think I liked it better than any of the original three! However, just from some posts I've seen on this forum over the years I don't think that's a very popular opinion here.

Yeaaaaaa you're not really going to find anywhere here or, maybe anywhere that thinks The Hobbit scores are a more fulfilling creative endeavor than the LOTR scores.

Hellraiser by Christopher Young: What I like about Young's approach (inspired by the director/writer Barker) is its seductive and mysterious melodic beauty which then slowly peels away to reveal the more music concrète horror layer that consists of eerie gnashing and clashing manipulated sounds. Very effective and the succint album never overstays its welcome.

3 hours ago, Romão said:

It's a wonderful album, perfectly structured. And like the "smallness" of it much more that the more epic sound of the sequel, although I also enjoy that one

Overall I agree that the first one is a more listenable of the two but the second score packs some serious Gothic punch with those grand pieces like the opening Second Sight Seance or the furious Headless Wizard that just ooze delicious and dark high drama.

Scott of the Antarctic (Complete Score re-recording) by Ralph Vaughan Williams: My first listen of this music outside the Sinfonia Antartica and I have to say it is wonderful music and surprisingly coherent and well flowing considering it made up of 41 individual cues, many of which are quite short. I look forward to delving into this further.

Listened to most of Shore's The Return of the King complete recording the other day (I plan on getting back to the rest of it this weekend), which was on Spotify (I also noticed it's free on Amazon Prime as well).  Which is good, since I've hated myself for not picking up the physical release like a decade ago when it was first available.  I have the first two complete scores, but for some bizarre reason I cannot remember, I forgot to buy ROTK.  It's an eyesore every time I look over at my shelf and notice the third one is missing.  And now it's impossible to find at a reasonable price.  But hey, at least there are other ways to listen to it.

Angela's Ashes.  Been a while for this one, and I forgot how short the program was, especially if you take off the repeated main theme at the end.  Like a few other Williams' scores, this one works extremely well in small doses.  Any longer and it runs the risk of overstaying its welcome, regardless of how lovely and beautiful the material can be.  As it is, a great listen.

Basic Instinct (Quartet Records release) by Jerry Goldsmith

L.A. Confidential (my complete edit) by Jerry Goldsmith

Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith

The Wind and the Lion by Jerry Goldsmith

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

Tribute to Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Juarez, The Private Lives of Elisabeth and Essex and The Sea Wolf) by E. W. Korngold: A neat little compilation of suites from a trio of Korngold scores. James Sedares and NZ Symphony Orchestra gives a resounding performance of the material.

Cocoon by James Horner: A lovely melodious Horner work that has a terrific soaring finale.

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope

Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars Episode VI Return of the Jedi

Now listening to Spotlight. 

22 hours ago, crocodile said:

Can someone please please please expand this?

Is there anything significant missing? I like the film, but I don't recall noticing any music that I was missing on the album. I'd appreciate shorter tracks than the four mammoth suites though.

19 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is there anything significant missing? I like the film, but I don't recall noticing any music that I was missing on the album. I'd appreciate shorter tracks than the four mammoth suites though.

Yeah, I think there is something like 20 minutes missing. Plus the album is arranged into those suites. The re-issue is more than justified.

Karol

23 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, I think there is something like 20 minutes missing. Plus the album is arranged into those suites. The re-issue is more than justified.

Karol

Yes. The suite approach was an odd choice I think. Especially when not many of the cues are particularly overlapped or joined in the suites in the first place.

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow by Edward Shearmur. This new set is so much fun.

Karol

I marvel at how old fashionedly the film makers allowed Shearmur approach this film, though it was an attempt to resurrect the pulp serial style in aesthetics. He really walks a fine line between the Golden/Silver Age and modern in the score and pulls it off.

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I marvel at how old fashionedly the film makers allowed Shearmur approach this film, though it was an attempt to resurrect the pulp serial style in aesthetics. He really walks a fine line between the Golden/Silver Age and modern in the score and pulls it off.

Yes, it is one of the most accomplished pastiches out there. Even though it isn't entirely fair to call it a pastiche. The score is too well crafted for that.

Karol

This compilation on Rhino.

R-450187-1176049332.jpeg.jpg

Is it all the real soundtracks or there are some re-recordings?

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Ennio-Morricone-The-Ennio-Morricone-Anthology-A-Fistful-Of-Film-Music/release/450187

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III (2017, Sony Classical, Digital release; Clark, Erdody, Foster, Higgins, Hooten, Valerio, Grubinger, Williams, Recording Arts O of LA)

p_spielberg_williams_collaboration_p3.jp

Williams by Williams, what more could you ask for? 

Has Jared Kushner heard Williams' "Prayer for Peace"?  Perhaps it would inspire him.  Somebody send a copy of The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration box set to "The White House c/o Jared Kushner, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC 20500"

Kushner is the anti-christ, whose building is at 666 Fifth Avenue and is meant to unite the Hebrews and the Arabs under false pretenses, according to the prophecies. What good would John Williams' little prayer music do?