What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The new score sounds like a mash-up of the original and Arrival. And, of course, it's not as good as either. But then, I never heard it outside of the film.

Karol

Wallfisch was unjustly fired. It's a shame, I think Wallfisch could have really done something special with this.

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Wallfisch was unjustly fired. It's a shame, I think Wallfisch could have really done something special with this.

Banging a fish against the wall won't help here, KK.

Karol

I'm listening to Jumanji. I like this one. It's not very melodic. It's mainly stunning recordings of wild orchestrations. It makes for an incredibly entertaining listen as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, this slightly fishy interlude smoothly leads into...Waterworld. The score isn't probably the greatest masterpiece out there but displays some personalty and energy where required. The action music is better than JNH's average, it's quite potent and often exciting. I was never much of a fan of the heroic theme as it really feels generic and Howard has done better elsewhere. The score itself isn't really much of a theme affair anyway. But it plays out quite well in the complete form, better than expected in fact. Solid purchase.

Karol

6 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The various repeated (almost verbatim) sections of cues are a shame, though.

It's not as bad as I expected.

Karol

:music: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I almost forgot how good this score it. It has everything - the thunderous balletic action music, a good chunk of atonal, Williams' own trademark of s The Lost of World of his fantasy scores, if that makes sense (probably doesn't). I appreciate how they almost completely abandon the sugar-coated Columbus sound for a more introspective, but even more heart-wrenching, material. And for all its rich instrumentation the score never feels too big for its own good. It's just so tastefully done. Having said that, I never liked the original album much. The end credit suite aside, it just doesn't flow as well as it should. We need this complete, no question about that.

Earlier listened to Heidi.

Karol - who also listened to Jane Eyre.

There is still good in him.

John Williams - The Phantom Menace OST (in chronological order)

John Williams - Return of the Jedi (Anthology box Disc 3 only).

Not a favorite Horner, but it does have its moments. What doesn't exactly work for me is the sort of "ethnic" music for the alien culture. The melodies are good, but the way he interprets them with this sort of stereotypical "native" sound is just awkward for me a lot of the time. Jungle drums and tribal vocals. It's a close cousin of the 90s "African" scores, Horner's contribution being Mighty Joe Young. Certainly not something I would want to listen to outside of the movie.

40 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Having said that, I never liked the original album much. The end credit suite aside, it just doesn't flow as well as it should. We need this complete, no question about that.

Are we sure the complete score really addresses this problem? 

James Horner, is that your more reserved late 2010's self from beyond the grave?

On 10/4/2017 at 0:26 PM, Jay said:

I actually don't have a very strong opinion on the Shyamalan/JNH scores.

Signs is one I love and have listened to a bunch of times.  Most of the other ones I've never actually listened to before, or maybe checked out once or twice.  I mean I saw the films, but not listened to all the OSTs yet.

Dude, get on that!

On 08/10/2017 at 2:28 PM, publicist said:

Are we sure the complete score really addresses this problem? 

James Horner, is that your more reserved late 2010's self from beyond the grave?

It's more like Horner having a threesome with Marianelli and JNH. ;)

Karol

E.T. OST

I haven't received the new LLL yet, but I wanted to revisit this old CD yet again. Perfect sound quality -- no idea why they didn't just port this over to the new release on Disc 2 and save themselves some effort.

Superman (Japan OST)

Honestly I've never heard it sound better than here. The Rhino always sounded like shit, and the FSM has some nagging DNR issues. But this one flies! Screw any more expansions, just thump your hi-fi with this beauty.

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack...

John Williams - The Empire Strikes Back (remastered OST, Ultimate digital collection 2016)

John Williams - Attack of the Clones (in chronological order)

E.T. the 35 Anniversary Remastered Edition (LLL) by John Williams: Superb work on this set from LLL and Matessino. The definitive release of this score and the music is as beautiful as ever.

Sky Captain the World of the Tomorrow (LLL) by Edward Shearmur: The original album was good but this expanded set is even better, especially as the heavy and lengthy action sequences are now interrupted by some quieter interludes. 

:music: Troy (Intrada) by James Horner. So they couldn't include one track because of Britten references and yet the same material appears in another track that is actually featured on this release. Go figure. In any case, I have inserted the album track Troy into its proper places within the narrative. Perhaps one day sessions will leak and I can add the complete film version of this segment to my personalised programme. It is supposed to be featured in the director's cut end credits bit I can't be bothered to rip it. Not quite that desperate.

All of the above aside, it's an interesting listening experience. There are some moments that use synthesized strings. And I'm not talking only about Horner's trademark synth accompaniment alongside live instruments. There are also passages that sound almost like mock ups. In some parts I'm not sure if these were actually synthetic elements only or live instruments processed in a way that makes them sound like synths. Probably the former, given the extremely tight scoring schedule. The opening 4 tracks of the album especially sound very harsh and...ancient. I particularly like the Wedding Feast source cue.

While I very much like the other score, there is something about this harsh, bare-boned and dry approach that works for me. It's sounds simultaneously more modern and, at the same time, ancient. Kind of like some portions of Braveheart but even more brutal. Even the notorious danger motif makes sense in context, given how the deal deals with certain archetypes. Having recently visited Malta, where some portions of the film were shot, I can say Horner's music was very successful at evoking those desolate vistas.

But certainly this isn't a score or album for everyone. It's probably bit too sombre for most people. And synth cues will put some listeners off as well. On top of that, it is one of the longest scores in Horner's career. The original album is probably a more appropriate recommendation. But I'm glad to have this.

As for the song... The less said about, the better.

Karol

I am assuming, in all honesty. Although some people already suggested that, even before this album was announced, and it ended up being true. There is no explanation in the booklet. Can you think of any other reason?

Another thing is that they mention two "tracks" were unavailable due to licensing reason, not two "cues". And yet the only thing missing is track 2 from the OST. Maybe I'm overthinking here.

Karol

Yea, they messed up when they worded it that way.  It's 2 cues from the complete score that are not included, not 2 tracks for the original OST.  d1t14 Achilles Saves Briseis should not have any * after it because its Briseis and Achilles from the OST.  OST track 2 "Troy" is the only OST cue not represented in the new set.

One bizarre artefact of this release, is that you can hear Horner's voice just before the famale vocal enters in Priam Pleads.

On a sidenote, it is also the best vocal moment in this score. I used to really hate those passages but now I sort enjoy Tzarovska's performances in some passages.

Karol

Khartoum- Frank Cordell

Operation Crossbow- Ron Goodwin

The Eiger Sanction- Williams (Friends and Enemies is my favourite, I dig the sound of it)

and, Hatari! Henry Macini

until I saw the film I had only ever heard Goodwin's cover of Baby Elephant Walk but the soundtrack itself seals the deal. Love the sounds for the safari (the film's drawer beyond it's cast must be the African locations) and Baby Elephant Walk be it lengthened or shortened is a delight. 

You can't really put the Star Wars OSTs in chronological order as with many Williams albums because cues composed for various scenes in the film's chronology are edited together.

:music: Jumanji however Horner wanted me to listen to it

On 6/2/2017 at 2:03 AM, Richard said:

Nice, Fancy, but...no love for THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS?

Sorry for the late reply (didn't even notice this post for months, ha, sorry), but yeah I like that too. Some nice jazzy themes in that score.