What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I just finished watching Chamber of Secrets.

I forgot how the Fawkes Theme is beautiful !

I'm starting the music from the album, but in the film order: 

- Reunion of Friends

- Harry's Wondrous World 

- Fawkes the Phoenix

- The Chamber of Secrets

Lights, Camera, Music by John Williams

Capricorn One by Jerry Goldsmith

Lionheart by Jerry Goldsmith

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 35th Anniversary Edition by John Williams

War of the Worlds by John Williams

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore

Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat

:music: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes by Miklos Rozsa. Finally got myself a copy of this fine score.

Also... I'm currently listening to this. I'd say it might be among the stronger scores released this year. For a change, we're getting a listenable thriller score. In 2017!

Karol

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

Their work for the mixed bag that was Cloud Atlas was quite good, but this lesser known, seemingly all but overlooked entry from the trio is more in line with what might tickle the fancy of the average JWFan, and I recommend investigation.  

A throwback score in the best way, with a classy performance from the Berliner Philharmoniker with Sir Simon Rattle, it's a dark, dreamy, sighingly romantic work, with shades of Herrmann and ravishing, quasi Bond sensuality, but there's an unmistakable individuality present that one finds in the work of these three composers, with some truly curious orchestral colors.

On 24.10.2017 at 1:51 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Lincoln - John Williams

A fine autumnal score.  

I'm a believer in clarity and economy of means, and this may be Williams' strongest effort to abide by those principles.  It's exceptionally restrained music by his standards, which is appropriate for the historical figure and scenario it is paired with.  

Humble, quasi folky hymning sits comfortably alongside the resolute but transparent evolution of the Copland Americana idiom that Williams has toyed with throughout his career, fully explored here.  

In stripping away the superfluous - in notes, orchestrations, and dramatic thrust - a composer lays bare what their true musical constitution is.  Here is proof of the musical elegance innate in John Williams, one of the finest scores of his career.  Even in some of his spare, intimate chamber music, there isn't as much of that laying bare going on.  This score is perhaps the closest we'll get from him to that musical striptease that is a string quartet.

Indeed. Verily. I concur.

And what!? You're back?!!!

Presumed Innocent by John Williams

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Perfume is a good movie and the score is good too!

It seems a good movie for quite a while, but it completely goes against the whole point of the novel at the climax (which up to that point it seems to try to portray, even if it doesn't approach its depth). It ends up failing really, really badly.

I remember rather liking the score, but I still haven't picked it up. I should - I love their Cloud Atlas score.

Thor: Ragnarok - Mark Mothersbaugh

It's good.

Tokyo Ghoul - Don Davis

It's alright, but frankly not great by his standards.

Blade Runner 2049 - Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer

I liked it initially, and it's still growing on me.

Dunkirk - Hans Zimmer

The most interesting and powerful score of the year so far for me.

Taboo by Max Richter

Tulip Fever by Danny Elfman

The Circle by Danny Elfman

Wonderstruck by Carter Burwell

21 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil

Their work for the mixed bag that was Cloud Atlas was quite good, but this lesser known, seemingly all but overlooked entry from the trio is more in line with what might tickle the fancy of the average JWFan, and I recommend investigation.  

Give A Hologram For The King a listen. Nice score on that one; still need to check out the film.

QOrUs97g-avHZUyGp-SP6YPGHpXaIH9-4pWQod5-

Not bad at all!  Certainly more interesting and entertaining than his bizarrely overhyped, functional score for Moonlight.  I very much want to see this movie, but it never played near me.  I'll be listening to this one again soon.

Hook, LLL CD2. Stunning score, though the flying sequence is performed really, really badly. The bonus section still boggles my mind. Hopefully, the lost tapes will be found soon so that MM can have a go and use some fairy dust to appease JW (or cut him out of the process completely).

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It seems a good movie for quite a while, but it completely goes against the whole point of the novel at the climax (which up to that point it seems to try to portray, even if it doesn't approach its depth). It ends up failing really, really badly.

I remember rather liking the score, but I still haven't picked it up. I should - I love their Cloud Atlas score.

I never read the novel or anything, didn't even know it was based on a novel, I just watched the film and liked it *shrug*

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

I never read the novel or anything, didn't even know it was based on a novel, I just watched the film and liked it *shrug*

It's a German novel, and has been famous here ever since I was a child, so I was familiar with the title long before I was old enough to read it (and I only did finally read it just before the film came out). Not knowing the book, I fully expect the film seems "right". But my point is, the whole thing (the book) is one big character study, with a very special character with specific attributes. The film doesn't seem to go against this core idea for most of its running time, but perhaps only because it cannot convey the concept like a book can. The orgy scene, which serves as the final fortification of that character concept, is completely out of (book) character in the film. And since the character is all it's about, if you accept the premise of the book, the film is simply wrong.

I recommend reading it. I probably should read it again myself.

It was very sensual. But being an Eichinger movie, it was clear from the get-go that he would try for big 'epic' movie effects instead of subtleness. Still, could have been worse. Like most of Tykwer's movies it is a mixed bag.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

QOrUs97g-avHZUyGp-SP6YPGHpXaIH9-4pWQod5-

Not bad at all!  Certainly more interesting and entertaining than his bizarrely overhyped, functional score for Moonlight.  I very much want to see this movie, but it never played near me.  I'll be listening to this one again soon.

I'm actual seeing this film today. I've listened to parts of the score, and I'm curious to see how it'll work in the film. It's a decent throwback score. 

John Williams - CE3K - Collector's Edition CD

Then 'A Night with Liberace' A very "piano" selection:

John Williams - Presumed Innocent

John Williams - Pete'n'Tilie

John Williams - The Long Goodbye

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

image.png

Great CD (if you slip the noise tracks of course)! I just ordered some other Kunzel albums on Amazon. I hope with them, I will have all of his albums where he plays a John Williams piece!

The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

This is a lot more fun than I remember it being. I should listen to it more

Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

Gets better with every listen. I really need to listen to the complete version.

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

I really need to listen to the complete version.

You should!

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

In chrono order, not OST order.

Will try this on Spotify...

It's one of the most fleshed out scores he's written in a while. Not hinging on the success of one or two nice ideas as many of his latest are guilty of doing.