What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Hear, hear! The priority of the composer is of course to present his/her music in the best possible manner, to give the best listening experience outside the movie. And this often implies not having all the music in chronological order.

I've given Kaufman's recording of Captain Blood a new try, and I still don't like it. Just listen to the start of the overture. To me the main problem is too much reverb and trumpets which are out of focus (partially because of the reverb). Here's a comparison with Gerhardt's and Korngold's original recording:

hate hate hate the recording and performance on the Kaufman release.  It's honestly the worst of those Naxos classic score re-recordings.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

hate hate hate the recording and performance on the Kaufman release.  It's honestly the worst of those Naxos classic score re-recordings.

Finally, some support of my Kaufman dislike. :D His recording is indeed a disgrace to the Naxos film music series.

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I'm listening to the complete Braveheart. The spirit of Horner is just blowing his musical load all over me. And I'm enjoying it.

Funny they used the music from the Cast Away trailer in Braveheart.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

:( It's easily my favourite of the series. (And it's still from the Marco Polo days ;) , before the series switched to the Naxos label).

I agree that the selection is the best of the series (if you don't count the Robin Hood album). That just makes the unsatisfactory performance more annoying.

8 hours ago, Strangways said:

Spielberg/Williams -still dig the climax of "Out to Sea/Shark Cage Fugue" on this version. The triumph.

Yes that thunderous finale is ace. As is the whole album actually. One of the first JW CDs I ever listened and has remained among the best re-recordings in my collection ever since.

Goodbye Christopher Robin by Carter Burwell

I read that Burwell was inspired by RV Williams and Butterworth for this score, but it just sounds like a Desplat knockoff to me.  I suppose it's hard to write a score for a small-ish benign drama like this and not sound like Desplat a bit these days.  He has the market cornered.

Coco (Giacchino), MI: Ghost Protocol (idem), Conan: The Barbarian (Poledouris), King Arthur (Zimmer) and Il buono, Il brutto, Il cattivo (Morricone) and almost Memories of a Geisha (Williams).

The Last Station by Sergey Yevtushenko: Such a lovely lyrically sweet score featuring several refined and quiet thematic ideas with a definite dash of Morriconean emotional writing in its tender finale.

An Unfinished Life by Christopher Young: Along with Shipping News and Creation some of the loveliest drama scoring Young has done. Modern pensive Americana with the piano cast in the central role that has at times touches of Thomas Newman and Elmer Bernstein feel to it and some rustic guitar work for local colour. Here the emotion often lies in the smallest gestures like the fragile interplay of piano, violin and guitar in Everybody Needs Love or the piano backed up by quiet strings in Pain Undisguised and show off  Young's range as a composer who is capable of the music concrete sounds of Hellraiser as readily as these quintessentially rural Americana soundscapes, which he gets to do more rarely. The album is crowned by the terrific 14 movement piano suite on the themes of the rejected score which is a very soothing listen.

Portman wrote lots of those. Most of it is quite fluffy (but charming nevertheless, even if the cd releases were hopelessly redundant) but she wrote a terrific 'serious' tune for - of all things - 'Hart's War'. When i catched this on tv some day i heard that lonely trumpet solo and thought i had discovered a lost Goldsmith.

Frédéric Talgorn, another aspirant to the old school movie music throne back in the early 90's (he even did the 'Young Indiana Jones Chonicles' for George Lucas) never made it to fame but did extensive library pieces for DeWolfe, who supplied stations like the BBC with orchestral stuff for documentaries and such. A lot of it is quite sophisticated, orchestrally, though quite 'classical' in nature. Probably why he never made it in Media Ventures Hollywood back then.

I heard the brand new Wintory (The Randezvous?) is rather good. Any truth to that @Koray Savas, @TheGreyPilgrim, @Incanus @publicist?

EDIT: Oh wait, listening to the sample from his website. It is good!

Karol

My favourite Christmas score, that one.

Cloud Atlas by Tom Tykwer/Johnny Klimek/Reinhold Heil

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Tom Tykwer/Johnny Klimek/Reinhold Heil

Kundun by Philip Glass

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I heard the brand new Wintory (The Randezvous?) is rather good. Any truth to that @Koray Savas, @TheGreyPilgrim, @Incanus @publicist?

EDIT: Oh wait, listening to the sample from his website. It is good!

Karol

In one cue he reworks his main theme to 'Strangely in Love', his other score following 'old-fashioned' thematic film music role models. He has the melodic chops to do current cinema, but maybe needs Zimmer's agent (or Zimmer!) to put him on the map. He's certainly not more expensive than the chap Shymalayan employs now and i'm sure he could write better music for this kind of movie.

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

He did some good stuff for the third Asterix movie. Most JW fanboys should love the music he wrote for the chariot race (especially our dear @Will).

Thanks so much for sharing. Indeed, it is terrific! I'd never heard anything by him before. 

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Is Bloodboal French?

Naaaaah.  I still think he's Swedish.

ha! pfffft, as if. I have a very elaborate bloodwhatshisface-is-french theory. 

anyway, tell me more.

:music: The Fellowship Of The Ring

I believe I am the only french-speaking active member on this to forum, at least, I never spoke french with anyone here!

I know several french-speaking fans of John Williams on FB, but they don't follow this forum.

There are some fans on the Underscore forum too, but they don't come here.

Here, I'm all alone! :unsure:

Scott of the Antarctic by Ralph Vaughan Williams

On the Waterfront by Leonard Bernstein

lotr rarites archives.jpg

The Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archives :music:

Great compilation of unreleased cues from the LOTR trilogy.

I can't get over how beautifully ethereal the first minute and a half or so of "Emyn Muil (Alternate)" is. It's a shame it never made it into the final film. :(

Michael Giacchino - Coco

Meh

Don Davis - Tokyo Ghoul

Still not doing much for me :(

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Fantastic!

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Great!

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets

Loving this more now that I've seen the film.  Great bed of themes and fun atmosphere.  Only peters out towards the end

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out

I've cooled to this score over the years.  When it came out I loved it, but realized this week I hadn't actually heard it in ages, so listened to it and... eh, its got nice main themes but overall isn't a super great score.  Oh well.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World (Album)

Still fun but now that the sessions are out, the album is incredibly disappointing, skipping over many highlights and including subpar cues instead.  Oh well.

Michael Giacchino - Zootopia

Nope, still doesn't do anything for me, and this time I noticed the self-references (Locke's Theme, Star Trek stuff, etc) more than ever before

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Inside Out

I've cooled to this score over the years.  When it came out I loved it, but realized this week I hadn't actually heard it in ages, so listened to it and... eh, its got nice main themes but overall isn't a super great score.  Oh well.

The standout cues make it worth it to me.

This is still one of my favorites of recent years.

those baritone saxes tho