What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 11/23/2017 at 7:25 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Justice League by Danny Elfman. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Karol

Its the best DC score since Superman Returns.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Five Sacred Trees by John Williams

Krull by James Horner

Quite a contrast!

:music: Thor: Ragnarok by Mark Mothersbaugh. It's not bad actually.

Karol

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

When this was first released, I dismissed it as another grumbly, rumbly Zimmer pastiche. But after viewing the film many times, it seems time has been surprisingly kind to this one. Sure it sounds nothing like what we've been conditioned to (sometimes dogmatically) believe what a Batman or Superman score is meant to sound like, but it's a product of Snyder's oppressive film afterall.

If you really demand bold, heroic themes crafted in Wagnarian-like fanfare, BvS will infuriate you. But in the right frame of mind, and with an open appreciation for mood music and rhythm, you might be surprised how effective it is at evoking the appropriate sense of dread. If I didn't know it was a superhero score, I might have thought it was a horror score! Track 5 feels like a nod to Christopher Young's Sinister score, but that might just be the industrial sound design genre fooling my ear.

Anyhoo, plenty of time for stubborn naysayers to let their tastes evolve!

EDIT: any session leaks available of BvS?

On 25.11.2017 at 11:10 PM, crocodile said:

Probably better than Knowing, in all honesty. More consistent anyway.

Mmmh, it shares a common problem with a lot of Beltramis in that there is a lot of dead weight in the middle, leaving the 20 minutes of interest at the beginning and the end. In the time of digital releases it would be a great chance to offer the best possible selection instead of lackluster 60+ minute releases. But yes, with a cue like 'Down the Harry Hole' it definitely qualifies.

I've been re-listening to Goldsmith's Mummy Score, and I noticed something I've never really thought about before. The action theme for Rick sound like it would fit perfectly as a 1990's gothic Batman theme; like for Batman Forever or Batman and Robin. Listen from 1:48 onwards and think of Joel Schumacher's Batman.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Not yet.

Ah. There's this one bit I liked after the military shoots a nuke at Superman and Doomsday and they think they might have killed Superman. It's got this heavy rumbling that's unnerving in the film. But it's not on the soundtrack album.

11 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

When this was first released, I dismissed it as another grumbly, rumbly Zimmer pastiche. But after viewing the film many times, it seems time has been surprisingly kind to this one. Sure it sounds nothing like what we've been conditioned to (sometimes dogmatically) believe what a Batman or Superman score is meant to sound like, but it's a product of Snyder's oppressive film afterall.

If you really demand bold, heroic themes crafted in Wagnarian-like fanfare, BvS will infuriate you. But in the right frame of mind, and with an open appreciation for mood music and rhythm, you might be surprised how effective it is at evoking the appropriate sense of dread. If I didn't know it was a superhero score, I might have thought it was a horror score! Track 5 feels like a nod to Christopher Young's Sinister score, but that might just be the industrial sound design genre fooling my ear.

Anyhoo, plenty of time for stubborn naysayers to let their tastes evolve!

EDIT: any session leaks available of BvS?

I enjoy that score too though not as much as the highlights from Man of Steel. Much better than the half hearted Elfman Justice League score  (more like one-third hearted actually). It really nails the dark grungy tone of the Snyder movies.

Hunt for Red October, Poledouris (Intrada) again

Sudden Impact, Magnum Force, Schifrin

I watched the Dirty Harry sequels lately and the music is the one good thing as they get closer to the end.

Otherwise, I've listened to 'regular' music lately. :eh:

Surprisingly suspenseful and inventive little score for a twisted Robert Pattinson movie fable about the rise of fascism in the 20th Century (no less!). It's a harsh, Bartokian work (shades of Goldenthal, too), chamber sized (though obviously realized mostly on synths), and how could you not recommend a score using the shell conch effects from 'Alien'? Sadly scores like this are always buried in movies playing for 3 days...

Agnes of God (Georges Delerue, 1985), Krull (James Horner, 1983), Orca (Ennio Morricone, 1978) and Mission Impossible (Danny Elfman, 1996 / Now I understand the story of the themes of 1996. There is the Elfman version that is in the movie and the popular one that came out on the radios that was arranged by the U2 guys :D) .

Bridge of Spies by Tommy Coolman

This one has aged really well for me, if only for the fact that it remains the only score in the last decade that features regular full-fledged Newman pieces that go past the 5 minute mark. A good all-around score.

In the sense that I had little patience for it when I first heard it. Now, I'm quite enjoying it. Maybe I've heard one too many filler Newman scores in between.

Miracle on 34th Street - Bruce Broughton

I still don't see this score talked about often enough as one of the great Christmas scores.  It's just one of the loveliest I've ever heard, wonderfully pure and genuine in its sentimentality, and beautifully detailed in its orchestrations.

I CANNOT SING ITS PRAISES HIGHLY ENOUGH AT THIS TIME OF YEAR.

Because not much of it is to be found online, I implore anyone and everyone who's the least bit curious to please listen to the cues below.   I challenge anyone who does listen to both to not want to go and order the La La Land release right away (which is still available!).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WItFVfrxXWIjlXIw6KMrsbU0TD8YVHzV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nngsr4B4SxRiqULWt-Hv5-HO8DCuvN1T

Thirteen Days by Trevor Jones: One of my favourite Jones scores that combines wonderfully the patriotic Americana with large scale suspense writing and some elegiac interludes. It might be as extrovert as a score for a historical political thriller can go.

Twin Peaks OST

I've had this old second hand Warner CD I picked up for five bucks but never knew what to make of it. After seeing the first four episodes of the show so far, yeah I get it. Moody, quirky, impress your mates with an artsy score that's entirely listenable. All the highlights of the Pilot are here, and it seems like no other original music was composed for the rest of the series, as far as I know. It's just this score tracked and looped whenever required. It's good!

Transcriptions and Themes for Piano by John Williams (performed by Simone Pedroni): This has found its way steadily on my playlists over the last few months and I find most of the interpretations by Pedroni quite excellent. A lovely album.

:music:All the King's Men by James Horner

54 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Transcriptions and Themes for Piano by John Williams (performed by Simone Pedroni): This has found its way steadily on my playlists over the last few months and I find most of the interpretations by Pedroni quite excellent. A lovely album.

When it comes to chamber sized arrangements, I prefer Keisuke Wakao's album on Denon. Truly great! The small ensemble manages to convey much of the color of the original orchestrations.

Listening to the session leak of Jurassic World by Giacchino this morning.  Still disappointed that the in-film version of "As the Jurassic World Turns" ends with the performance of Williams' Island Fanfare.  It should've ended with a full-throated performance of Giacchino's theme, very prominent in the sound mix.  It's what his new themes never really got in the film in my opinion.

So the "As the Jurassic World Turns" track on the OST is just the "End Credits" from the sessions, right?  That's still a highlight of Gia's recent work for me.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

What? If I remember correctly, the OST track is a combination of two cues: 1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big and 1m10 As the Jurassic World Turns

I dunno, I just listened to "7m64-65 The Park is Closed / End Credits" and the end credits portion starting at 3:20 sure sounds like the OST track.

This might help Stu

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQHEFO8GZbKHhy4jsFiOI7S-_9iot-sF9WMIKIequz6onbhTphnmRBOvW44H8q9Q79jGR_eeePE8P1M/pubhtml

The OST track called "As The Jurassic World Turns" is a combination of 1M6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big & 1M10 As the Jurassic World Turns.

Giacchino didn't write anything specifically for the end credits, but surely expected the Suite to be edited and used there.  And it mostly was, but the final film also tracked in As The Jurassic World turns for part of it IIRC. 

That specific track you mentioned playing is basically a dump of the final film's audio and not a pure session recording track like everything else in the leak.  So the "The Park Is Closed" part has elements from v1, v2, and v3 from the session recordings, and the end credits part has the suite and As The Jurassic World Turns and whatever else they stuffed in there.

Thanks, I requested access!  And yeah, I finished listening to the End Credits and I get it now.  When I posted I had just gotten to the part where the beginning is just "1m6-9 Does This Dino Make Jurassic Look Big" recorded again and I leapt to some very wrong conclusions :blush:

OK so the end credits is tracked and not a separate recording?  Why would it be in the sessions with a separate slate number then?

I also find it interesting that the "World Turns" theme (for me the highlight of the score) is not in the suite he composed as (I assume) something like demos for the director.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

OK so the end credits is tracked and not a separate recording?  Why would it be in the sessions with a separate slate number then?

Giacchino didn't write anything specifically for the end credits, but surely expected the Suite to be edited and used there.  And it mostly was, but the final film also tracked in As The Jurassic World turns for part of it IIRC. 

That specific track you mentioned playing is basically a dump of the final film's edited audio and not a pure session recording track like everything else in the leak.  So the "The Park Is Closed" part has elements from v1, v2, and v3 from the session recordings, and the end credits part has the suite and As The Jurassic World Turns and whatever else from the session recordings they stuffed in there.

I also find it interesting that the "World Turns" theme (for me the highlight of the score) is not in the suite he composed as (I assume) something like demos for the director.

Isn't it in the longer Suite version from the sessions, but was snipped out out of the OST version?  I can't remember now.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't it in the longer Suite version from the sessions, but was snipped out out of the OST version?  I can't remember now.

OK yeah it's in the opening (cut from the OST) but just bare-bones as Gia's trademark slow sad piano; it never features the full orchestral theme.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It is a bit underused as a theme overall, innit?  Maybe he'll use it more in Jurassic World 2.

I hope so!  I don't think I'm gonna actually see the sequel, but I'll certainly be buying the OST.  Personally I think the movie (which my negative feelings about are well-known and don't need to be dredged up again) leaned too heavily on using Williams at key moments.  I think "World Turns" is good enough to support those "epic" moments on its own.  Sure it's not as good as Williams, but then again neither is the film it's supporting as good as what Williams originally wrote those themes for!

I don't like the way he handled any of the Williams themes, except for the tinkly piano rendition in Ye Olde Visitors Center.  That one's good and a shame he didn't put it on the OST.  Actually overall, the OST is nowhere near the same highlights I would have chosen to release for this score.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't like the way he handled any of the Williams themes

I have to assume a lot of it was just what Trevorrow wanted.  Boy am I glad that guy's not going to work with Williams after all.