What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Probably the best Christmas album ever made. :sarcasm:

IMG_2316.JPG

No, that's this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014T15OME/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513410958&sr=8-1&keywords=home+alone+williams

...or this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0000027WR/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513411102&sr=1-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=joy+to+the+world+williams&dpPl=1&dpID=61siyjSqLhL&ref=plSrch

2 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Listening to TLJ on CD now. It's interesting it was so easy to acquire today, but this exact time last year, the Rogue One CD had sold out at every nearby shop, so I had to wait a bit to get that one.

Maybe they've learned by the mistakes and shipped out more CDs this time.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams

The Book Thief by John Williams

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams

Justice League by Danny Elfman

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

Titanic by James Horner

Lot of music to go through today!

Karol

13 hours ago, crocodile said:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams

The Book Thief by John Williams

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams

Justice League by Danny Elfman

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

Titanic by James Horner

Lot of music to go through today!

Karol

The 70's are far ahead of everything else.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The 70's are far ahead of everything else.

D'oh. I don't think there are many things out there better than Close Encounters.

Karol

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Rogue One (thankfully not by Desplat :D)

I would have loved to hear what Desplat came up with but I do love Giacchino’s score.

24 minutes ago, El Jefe said:

I would have loved to hear what Desplat came up with but I do love Giacchino’s score.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear. It seems his scoring had come a long way before his efforts were discarded.

:music: Solar Crisis by Maurice Jarre. I have no idea what possessed me to listen to this. But it's a pretty fun album. Completely forgot I had it.

Karol

There's now't wrong with a bit of Jarre, every now and then (either of them! :))

This sounds like the faster bits of WITNESS, fused with FATAL ATTRACTION. 

Currently :music: to something called THE LAST JEDI, by some commer called Johnny Williams. It's not bad, I suppose.;) 

No, only 2-channel. And it's the really rare Japanese SACD from 2000, which doesn't have the distortion issues that plagued the later US release. And I have to say it doesn't sound a whole lot different to the old 35•8P 11 CD. But I suppose that goes to show how good the redbook CD format can be if they'd just master the damn things properly... like they did with the latest CE3K. That thing has the highest care in its mastering I've heard in a while!

And I sure as hell didn't pay that amount for Thriller!

:music: Die Hard 2 by Michael Kamen. I love this score so much. One of my favourite action scores of all time actually. Unlike the other two, it doesn't have that start-stop quality. The build up is quite gradual and slow but once it gets going it's just action thriller heaven. Michael Kamen was so badass and it's such an irony that he hated this genre so much.

Karol

Ferdinand by John Powell

This is a score I've really warmed to since I first listened to it. Powell's themes are, as usual, expertly crafted to the point where they seem to take a life of their own. "Madrid Finale" in particular is a mini-masterpiece in musical storytelling. You can clearly visualise the emotional arc of that final chapter. Overall a highly recommended listen if you're after an enjoyable Latin-flavoured score that's without pretension and cuts to the point. :) 

The Last Jedi.

Some of the most frantic and fast paced brass writing since the Temple Of Doom/Return Of The Jedi era. Rose's theme actually reminds me of TOD.

There are a lot of familiar elements, but its incredibly energetic. 

Overall its weaker than TFA but it has an allure of its own. What a somber finish on the end title.

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

This one went over my radar for so many years. I probably wasn't interested because Treesong bored me to tears. But this is so much better, more varied, and has more than just Ma plodding away at the cello. Heard on SACD, stereo mix.

Something conceptually interesting for a change: a war-torn country, set in music. Percussions characterize the brutal, faceless oppression, strings the human bonds within. Idiomatically far beyond what JWFan allows, chamber-sized (!) and hampered by the many short cues, but worth a good 10-minute suite for a bit of year-end variety.

The christmas prezzies roll in. Ridley Scott, probably dancing a gleeful leprechaun dance that the tiny audience for his new movie quadrupled that day when Kevin Spacey got #me too'd and Chris Plummer, his first choice for the role of JP Getty, took over. How much more lucky can you get?

Daniel Pemberton, a relative newcomer in the Scott-iverse, got smart and delivers his master a score that is eclectic enough to prevent wholesale rejections - it's basically Zimmer's 'Hannibal' on speed, full of delightful little operetta gestures, high drama (mixed quasi-liturgical choirs), zithers and moody electronic shenanigans. It may not be great music, but it sounds like it may lift the entertainment level of the movie two floors higher (if Scott kept it). 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Typical pretentious Pub statement. 

And you may certainly feel addressed.

7 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

This one went over my radar for so many years. I probably wasn't interested because Treesong bored me to tears. But this is so much better, more varied, and has more than just Ma plodding away at the cello. Heard on SACD, stereo mix.

Yeah I haven't listened to this yet but I really must.

I love Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone, it's a spectacularly lush and romantic album.

For my latest score listens, today has been a combination of Hawk the Slayer, Barbarella, a little Buck Rogers in the 25th Century and the Deathstalker II theme. So I'm in full-on kitsch nostalgic sci-fi fantasy mode and loving it.

Jerry Goldsmith: Damnation Alley

Closing an important gap in Goldsmith's late 70's filmography, the only complaint this new Intrada release rests on its shoulders is its brevity. Barely 30 minutes long the score feels sketchy, though all that is there makes for great, propulsive listen - a mix of edgy Stravinsky, imaginative minimalist synth patterns, a dash of Copland. Tailored to the requirements of a 70's thriller, Goldsmith leaves a lot of space between, so that we have only one long scored-through cue ('Don't Bug Me') while all the rest ranges from 1 to 2 minutes of let's go and travelogue-like cues that build on a steely little tune only Jerry could come up with (first minute of the YT link). Not for beginners but the select few who appreciate the badass-ness of 'Capricorn One' and 'Logan's Run' should complete the maestro's vicious circle. Sound: ain't gonna get better than this.