What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

There are some albums of his from the past 20 years that I still haven't finished listening to. They are still on!

Having said all that, this one is way above the average. The ethnic colours are quite interesting here, not the cheap usual New Age clichés that Horner was guilty of popularising. It's more classy and actually  reminds me a bit of Marianelli's Agora in how sophisticated it feels. I'm actually quite impressed and surprised how interesting some of those passages are. Think I might get myself a CD of this.

Karol

:music:  THOMAS AND THE KING.

Geez, I'd forgotten how bad/good, this is. It seems to range from third-rate Vaudeville (WE SHALL DO IT!; SINCERITY) to genuine beauty (THE QUESTION; AM I BEAUTIFUL?) to poignancy (WILL NO-ONE RID ME?; SO MANY OTHER WORLDS).

For those coming to this particular table late, I'm sure that it must be an odd experience. If the music sounds "familiar", that's only because it seems so prescient (I defy anyone to listen to 00:54 - 01:10 of CONSECRATION and not hear CHASING ROCKETS).

All 'n all, not as bad as I remember. It won't set the world on fire (nor win too many new JW fans, I'll wager), but it passes the time on a gloomy Sunday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Why wouldnt they play music as well?

Supposedly they prioritise film audio soundtracks in home theatre multi-channel over regular stereo listening, which they tend to chuck in as an afterthought. And apparently they're not powerful enough to amplify and express music that does it justice, so you might need to spend more to add a power amplifier.

18 hours ago, Bespin said:

I never listened a CD in 5.1... :D

No, Bes, and you never will  :lol:

They are not encoded for a multi-channel signal. The best you can get is a pseudo-surround sound (the RCA ALTERED STATES, or the remixed THOMAS AND THE KING, for example), which, on CD, provides a "wide" sound.

On either a DVD, or a Blu Ray player, these will play in Pro Logic (or Pro Logic II, if equipped), but it won't be true, discrete surround.

6 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

I've been reading that generally AV receivers don't play music as well as amplifiers, so I'm now looking for one that's rated as being "more musical". I bet such a device is expensive and exotic.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why wouldnt they play music as well?

3 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Supposedly they prioritise film audio soundtracks in home theatre multi-channel over regular stereo listening, which they tend to chuck in as an afterthought. And apparently they're not powerful enough to amplify and express music that does it justice, so you might need to spend more to add a power amplifier.

Exactly! 

I'm thinking maybe just get an AV receiver for movies and multichannel music AND and a powerful integrated amplifier for stereo music. The only downside is depending on which box I was listening from, I'd have to change speaker connections every so often.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, Richard said:

I'm glad that you like THE FIFTH ELEMENT, Jay, as its been a favourite of mine since 1997.

Its been a favorite of mine since 1997, too - film and score.

I like the OST, but lately have been listening to a fan edit made from the isolated score track of the DVD.  I want a proper specialty label expansion some day!  Shame it missed the 20th anniversary year.

Thanks for the tip, Jay, I'll check that out.

This evening, I have been having a David Shire mini-season. First off, I travelled back to May, 1937, to listen to the beautiful, urgent, and ultimately tragic THE HINDENBURG. Next up, forward to 1974, for the understated, and claustrophobic ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, before finding myself back in N.Y.C. (sorry, but I just couldn't resist it :)) with the supreme lowdown and dirty funk that is THE TAKING OF PELHAM 123.

A short break for something to eat, after which, I rendezvous with the Discovery One, at Le Grange Point, for the wonderfully spacey 2010.

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

David Shire is great!

Karol

Agreed. He is very, very underrated.

13 hours ago, Strangways said:

love the Pelham score, seems to be all I can remember from the actual film. 

Gesundheit.

Joe Kraemer - Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation (Digital OST)

Fun!  Hadn't listened in a while, was like the return of an old friend.  Love that Solomon Lane theme concert arrangement.

John Powell - Ferdinand (OST)

I dunno, I like it while I'm listening for the most part, but its kind of in one ear, out the other.  Don't remember anything about it now.  His HTTYD scores were memorable to me on first listen.

John Williams - The Post (OST)

I enjoy this 40 minutes every time I listen to it.  Perfect length for this type of score.

John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Complete & Chronological playlist)

Bliss

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard (OST)

Brilliance

'Monsignor Quixote', by Anton Garcia Abril who wrote an evocative tone poem for a modern interpretation of Cervantes' Quixote stories. Idiomatically it's romantic, drawing from medieval and baroque compositions orchestrated in a modern romantic style (special emphasis on woodwinds) that a guy like Rózsa would have liked. Unabashedly tonal, it probably is closer to concert work based on film music but that's not bad benchmark. Recommended.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

Love this.  Specialty label expansion when?

Ramin Djawadi - Pacific Rim

Fun, breezy stuff

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada)

Amazing 90s action score, one of the very best

James Horner - Titanic (fan edit made from LLL & other sources)

Hey this is a pretty good score innit.  I've realized the more pipes and synth choir I take out, the more I like it!

Daily ritual

Michael Kamen - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Intrada)

This is good, but very, very long!  I love the "Celt Battle" cue, its stripped-down nature reminds me of "Taxi Chase" from Die Hard With A Vengeance.  Cool stuff.

Parts of this score also remind me of Grusin's The Goonies score, but specifically the parts that are meant to mimmick the Korngold films Sloth watches in that movie.  I guess I like some golden age music after all cause its all fun

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

James Horner - Titanic (fan edit made from LLL & other sources)

Hey this is a pretty good score innit.  I've realized the more pipes and synth choir I take out, the more I like it!

So...all of it?

Great tune and rhythm:

19 hours ago, publicist said:

So...all of it?

Not even close, there is tons of music in this score with neither pipes nor synth choir, especially since you can use the 5.1 mix of the SACD album to remove choir from album tracks, and the LLL release has synth-free versions of cues on disc 3.

Danny Elfman - Wanted

Holy hell I love this score.  The way he shuffles the 3 main themes throughout the whole score is fantastic, and it has such a fun drive and momentum.  The song he wrote for it is killer, too!

I get so much programming done while this is driving me forward

:music: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves by Jack Hayes, William Ross, Don Davis, Bruce Babcock, Albert Olson, Pat Russ, Brad Warnaar, Lolita Ritmanis, Mark Watters, Elliot Kaplan, Jonathan Sacks, Richard Davis, Harvey Cohen, Beth Lee, Chris Boardman and featuring Michael Kamen

Karol

Alan Silvestri - Predator (Varese)

I've decided the Varese CD is better than either Intrada CD.  I think Intrada had good intentions using the digital source recorded at the time, but digital recording wasn't exactly optimized in 1987 yet, and a 1987-era 16bit/44.1khz digital recording is just never better than a fresh modern digital transfer of a nice tape recording.  Varese's CD sounds great, and they don't have the issues the Intrada versions had like overlapping cues inside tracks for no reason.  And what a powerhouse of a score!  Nice length too, you're at the end before you realize it.

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Deluxe Edition)

One of my favorite sequel scores ever. Takes everything from the first one and kicks it up a notch.  The drums are more tribal!  The action is more furious!  It's longer!  The themes from the first are reworked in cool new ways!  I love this score a lot.

The Intrada release already sounds fine, so its not like its any kind of massive upgrade or anything.  It just, to me, feels fuller and warmer.

6 hours ago, James said:

Some noise rhythmically directed:

48 Hrs (James Horner)
Another 48 Hrs (James Horner)
Black Hawk Down (Hans Zimmer)

48Hrs is great. CLEANHEAD BUST is all pounding drums, squealing saxes, and wobbly synths. Perfect late 80s Horner.