What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

:music: Justice League. I sort of like and dislike this score. There's a lot of going on and I can hear all the themes that he develops...but there is still something missing. As a concept it's sort of a stylistic bridge between the established DC sound (if there is such a thing) with a more Marvel-like flourishes. And it all makes sense. But I can't feel a bit letdown by it. The music, while containing all the right ingredients, always feels bit lost and the extremely lousy film mix almost makes it completely useless anyway. Perhaps some of the problems with this score's identity are due to the fact that the main heroic theme doesn't really receive what you might call an extended performance to properly establish itself in a way Elfman presents his Hero's theme. On the other hand, it also feels more malleable which is proved by the Russian-flavoured and guitar-led performances towards the end of the score (bit surprising variations given the genre). Funnily enough, the two themes seem to represent the duality between the optimistic Superman we get to see in the film and Batman's determination, respectively. There are also (very simple) Cyborg's theme, Aquaman's theme, Flash's theme, Steppenwolf's theme along with all the stuff he reprises from himself, Williams and Zimmer. So yeah, repeat listens reveal new details but it still manages to disappoint for some reason.

Karol

WITLSILT?

SUPERMAN II (Blue Box)

I've posted before, and I'll post again: in adapting not only a well-loved score, but also one of the greatest musical achievements in modern cinema, Ken Thorne had a thankless task...and produced a remarkable, and underrated piece of work.

This score shows the effort of a master-arranger, who was not afraid to inject new flourishes, twists, and turns, into a modern masterpiece.

If Thorne's enthusiasm for the material is in doubt, it certainly doesn't show, as he drives JW's music this way and that, to fit the sequel.

What we have here, is, basically, SUPERMAN, but in a different order, but none of that matters as the listener is taken on a journey through just about all of the score. I certainly had fun recognising which original pieces were used, for which new scenes, and at the end of the CD, I was left with renewed appreciation for the art of the arranger, and I felt...well...satisfied.

SUPERMAN II is JW, but, at the same time, it's not JW. How JW would have scored SUPERMAN II, is anyone's guess, and it will go down in cinema history as one of the greatest scores never written.

That being said, SUPERMAN II is always listenable, and entertaining, the new edition adding depth, openness, and clarity, to a hitherto thin and "small" sounding score.

So stick it on, sit back, take a welcome stroll down Memory Lane, and have happy...whatever.

Of course it is, but what can one expect? Apart from JW himself, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. Herb Spencer might have, but I imagine that Lester had never even heard of him, and besides, he liked Thorne.

I still say that, under the sad circumstances, its not a bad score.

I admire JW for not wanting to score SUPERMAN II, but perhaps a little bullet-biting could have provided a work that surpassed the original. Either way, we'll never know.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Even if Williams stayed on, I imagine Superman 2 would be to Superman what Home Alone 2 was to Home Alone.  Not many opportunities for new themes.  Maybe a full-blown theme for Zod and friends???

March of the Supervillains?

Karol

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Of course it is, but what can one expect? Apart from JW himself, I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. Herb Spencer might have, but I imagine that Lester had never even heard of him, and besides, he liked Thorne.

I still say that, under the sad circumstances, its not a bad score.

I admire JW for not wanting to score SUPERMAN II, but perhaps a little bullet-biting could have provided a work that surpassed the original. Either way, we'll never know.

An awful score, to a trainwreck of a project. Such a missed opportunity.

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

One of the best scores of 2017, I love all the themes and they way they all flow through the score, great cameos by Silvestri's Avengers theme too, and just great and fun action music

Craig Safan - The Last Starfighter (Intrada)

Awesome 80s classic!

Joe Kraemer - Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (Complete)

One of the most amazing action scores of the decade

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome 80s classic!

A great score. I listened to it, last week.

54 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Village by James Newton Howard: Haunting, in every sense of the word.

A beautiful score. One of JNH's finest, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

A beautiful score. One of JNH's finest, IMO.

Indeed. The whole score is beautifully constructed and very effectively orchestrated and the mysterious overarching mood and the romantic and elegiac tones enhanced by Hilary Hahn's violin solos make this piece one of JNH's best. I actually think one of the labels should expand all the JNH/Shyamalan collaboration scores since they are some of the composer's most compelling work. E.g. there is about 30 minutes of unreleased goodness in The Village.

On 1/21/2018 at 2:46 PM, Stefancos said:

An awful score, to a trainwreck of a project. Such a missed opportunity.

Imagine what Williams could have done with the battle scenes.

In 2014, Intrada finally released what may be Henry Mancini's best sustained dramatic score from those years for Blake Edward's boozer nightmare. It comes with a handsome lilting tune (how could it not?) but Mancini really does the honours here with brilliant jazz-infused harmonic twists to his core material (a young Johnny Williams surely took note). Barring the cocktail and party tunes, it's an essential 60's addition.

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome 80s classic!

I can't get enough of this score! I watched the movie just because I loved the score so much (and hey, the movie was pretty awesome in the most quintessentially 80s way too!)

And, of course, post-activity you decided to post all about it while casually leaning against a lamp-post right next to local Post Office?

Karol

Had a Netflix binge over the weekend, with Frailty (2001) Hush (2016) and Everest (2015) being the most interesting musically.

I've owned Tyler's Frailty score for years, and it works very well in the film. Hush is very low key, but surprisingly melodic in places for a horror/suspense film.

Everest was the real revelation - it did little for me before seeing the film, but it soon becomes clear that Marianelli scored it more from the character perspective, meaning no big themes for the mountain. Annoyingly, in an otherwise pretty comprehensive album, it appears that the cue where all the shit hits the fan is missing. So easy to avoid on an album like this...

A lot of Danny Elfman...

Batman Returns (1982)

Darkman (1990)

Hulk (2003)

Justice League - Yeah, again (2017)

More Horner...

Bopha! (1993)

Braveheart (1995)

And a little of Greenwood (finally!)...

Phantom Thread (2017)

I just love this score so much, goddam. So underrated. I'm listening to the hq version with my AKGs and wish those drumsticks at 2:28 were louder.

Overall this score really starts shining after 10 mins. Sucks on youtube they took off the 21st century/Library track that comes on right after I Don't Belong Here. That was a necessary track for progression, so epic.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

Lady in the Water by James Newton Howard

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard (OST)

Win!

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man Homecoming

Fun!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese complete)

FANTASTIC!!!  One of my most-played releases of recent years

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard (OST)

YES

John Williams - The Lost World (LLL)

Ahhh, an old friend coming back to town.  Bliss!

Alan Silvestri - Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Complete)

Dug out the session leak in light of the Intrada news.  I've seen this film a bunch, but rarely ever listened to the score outside of it.  What I heard today was a lot of Silvestri-isms mixed with some fun wacky cartoon music and film noir-y detective-y stuff.  I didn't really get into it, but it deserves a better listen.  I'll be buying the Intrada set for sure.

Michael Kamen - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Intrada)

I'm liking this more and more the more I listen to it.  It's a LONG score though.  It starts off really strong, and ends really strong, but then the entire middle is a looong sludge through similar-sounding music, outside of the highlight Training Montage track.  I might whittle this down to a shorter album.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Michael Kamen - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (Intrada)

I'm liking this more and more the more I listen to it.  It's a LONG score though.  It starts off really strong, and ends really strong, but then the entire middle is a looong sludge through similar-sounding music, outside of the highlight Training Montage track.  I might whittle this down to a shorter album.

Agreed! 

The Shape of Water. Nothing special.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

The OST was definitely too short, but the complete score can be a bit grating if listening to it in one go.

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music:Damnation Alley by Arthur Morton

Karol

And how is it?

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

If you like stuff like Capricorn One then it's right up tour alley. :)

Karol

Damnation alley you mean?! ;)

No, Satan's alley! :lol:

I'm :music:  the expanded STAR TREK V, while I complete an application form for a job that I am very interested in. 

The trouble is, every five minutes, I have to stop writing the flipping thing, and listen to the score, because it's so...fucking...good!  :lol:

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:
23 hours ago, Jay said:

The OST was definitely too short, but the complete score can be a bit grating if listening to it in one go.

I completely disagree!  I listen to all 80 minutes of it every time, and never once feel like skipping past any track!

Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra by John Williams: While this is a relatively short work it is among my favourite of John Williams' concertos. The contrasting parts of the concerto are all wonderful in their own way but the 2nd movement Pastorale is my favourite for its gorgeous dreamily soliloquising oboe solo.

:music:Concerto for Cello and Orchestra by John Williams