What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

When it comes to expanded deluxe editions this is probably on top of my most wanted list.

Karol

Why? The LSO re-recording easily tops the small-ish LA recording that has maybe 5 minutes more score.

5 hours ago, James said:

The Agony and The Ecstasy (1965) - Alex north and Jerry Goldsmtih

I discovered in the middle of the album that the prelude suite was by Goldsmith!

What? You only knew there was JG music half way through the CD?

You mean you didn't look at the booklet cover...where it says "music composed by Jerry Goldsmith"? :lol:

I heard it on Spotify. During listening I look for information about the film. Goldsmith working on the score only came up to me on the "Sistine Chapel" track.A very special moment, of course. ;)

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Why? The LSO re-recording easily tops the small-ish LA recording that has maybe 5 minutes more score.

Because I haven't got it and don't want to spend fortune on used copies.

Karol

12 hours ago, Richard said:

@crocodile  there's no "maybe" about it. He's not composed a finer score and, sadly, he never will.

For me, this is career-peak Horner.

It's second perhaps to Sneakers, but not to much more.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

When it comes to expanded deluxe editions this is probably on top of my most wanted list.

Yes. If only because I'd like to own an original copy.

16 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

RIP Danny Elfman

After reading this I searched "Elfman" on Google to make sure he's still alive. 

I listened to a lot of mixed things. ST: Nemesis (Goldsmith), 007: The Goldfinger (Barry), both regulars. I'm also listening to  Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold) but I was interrupted on the sixth track. :pfft:

2 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Titanic

Not OST this time, I hope? Have you heard the LLL set yet? If so, what did you think?

:music: Memoirs of a Geisha

Karol

Today - I think for the first time ever - I listened to TIMELINE (in magnificent multichannel SACD, thank you very much).

Geez Louise, but this is brilliant, isn't it? A sort of hybrid of Rambo, and LIONHEART, it's urgent, vibrant, and very energetic.

To have this rejected must have been devastating, but I'm glad that it exists on CD. I'll be returning to this, post haste. 

The great British pastoral trilogy from Johnny boy tonight!

Jane Eyre

Angela's Ashes

War Horse

And this nice suite as my pudding:

Karol - whose dream is to hear the entire JFK suite live one day

You ever play a score and for the first few times it mainly catches your ears whenever either action music is on or a main theme is being declared? But then after awhile, the more subdued pieces begin catching your attention?

Not specifically referring to a particular score, just something that's been on the mind this evening.

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) by Howard Shore: A chamber-sized pensive documentary score with terrific choral writing and lovely cello solos by Sophie Shao and that patented Shore melancholy in nearly every stave.

1 hour ago, Fal said:

Isn't Angela's Ashes Irish not British though? ;)

Ah-ha! :)  You're right Fal: ANGELA'S ASHES isn't British.

It's set in Limerick, which, by that time, was part of the Irish Free State, now known as Ireland.

@crocodile could try DRACULA, instead, but I'm not sure if it's "pastoral"? 

It's pretty good actually. Other than production design and cast, the only thing I enjoyed about the film. Having said that, I'm not so sure about 95 minutes of score release album... So while some bits might be bit on the generic side there is still plenty to choose from to create your own custom playlist. But the strongest stuff is among MCU's most distinctive material.

Karol - who finds it funny Horner's danger motif is used quite a lot

Ah you know, cheap matinee showing on Tuesday. Nothing to do with the film really. Just a way of spending some time with mates. Plus I used to read all those comic books.

Karol

6 hours ago, TGP said:

Lincoln.  It was better than everything except Star Trek and Titanic.

"It was better than everything except Star Trek and Titanic"?

Who died and made you Justin?

Come on, TGP, you're better that.

You stand for reason, not this intellectual chaos.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

The score is better than expected. Not super memorable, perhaps, but still some interesting conceptual things going on.

Everything but action music is nice.

Karol

Simone Pedroni - John Williams: Themes and Transcriptions for piano (2017)

Keith Lockhart - Lights, Camera... Music! Six decades of John Williams (2017)

Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà - Silence on joue: Take 2 (2016)

Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà - Silence on joue!/A Time for Us (2012)

:music: Black Panther by Ludwig Goransson. Giving it a second more careful listen which does reveal more themes and detail. I'm liking this more and more. It does sounds like something. It proves that Creed from the same composer was no accident. This fella knows what he's doing. The score might perhaps lack what you'd call a main superhero theme but it's stylistic choices are compelling enough for me not to be bored. One of the main is more a percussive idea and feels more like a ritualistic chant (and it is used in that context as well). That in itself is a big thing because the film is 96 minutes long and I'm not sure whether that isn't the entire score (must be very close to complete). The orchestral writing is strong and focused and the vocal material is also very inspired (both solo and choral). It's a first strong entry in 2018 and one of the finest MCU scores to date. I liked Mark Mothersbaugh's Thor: Ragnarok quite a bit but this is even better.

Karol

13 hours ago, Richard said:

"It was better than everything except Star Trek and Titanic"?

Who died and made you Justin?

Come on, TGP, you're better that.

You stand for reason, not this intellectual chaos.

You mean Drax?

Lincoln by John Williams

Angela's Ashes by John Williams

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

Capricorn One by Jerry Goldsmith

Flesh+Blood by Basil Poledouris

The original release. I appreciate both of the releases but the OST re-recording is an eminently more fluid listening experience.