What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Timeline (Jerry Goldsmith)

It's alright. Like many JG scores in that era, it has a samey interchangeable sound to it.

Congo OST

What can I say? It's perfect.

I wouldn't know, I never owned the OST. The Intrada dic is not a Goldsmith I pull out often, but it's a nice middle shelf pallet cleanser in-between the much meatier Ghost and the Darkness. That, and I kinda like the movie. No matter how lame it is, having Bruce Campbell, Ernie Hudson, Tim Curry, gorillas AND Goldsmith all in one film guarantees at least some level of watchability. 

Catching up since my last post....

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

One of my favorite scores.

Alan SIlvestri - Predator 2 (Varese DE)

Such a powerhouse!

Lena Raine - Celeste

The first great score of 2018, loved it when I first heard it and have grown to love it more ever since.  So heartfelt, fun, and rewarding

James Horner - Honey, I Shrunk The Kids! (Complete)

Woah, forgot how much fun this is!  Not a top 10 Horner, but damn, its fun!

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Winner winner chicken dinner

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

50 minutes of awesome!  Love every cue (I stop at the end credits, have no need for the bonus tracks)

John Barry - Dances with Wolves (La-La Land)

A score I literally love more every time I hear it (this was probably only my 5th or 6th listen ever).  One of my most favorite label expansions of recent years, its fabulous!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese complete)

80 minutes of awesome

Joe Kraemer - Mission: Impossible: Rogue Nation

Freaking brilliant, super fun score!

Alexandre Desplat - The Shape of Water

I've listened to this a few times, its nice!

Alexandre Desplat - Suburbicon

Saw the film recently and enjoyed the score in it; It's fun on its own too!  Desplat is so hit and miss with me, but when he hits, I tend to really like it.

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone (Complete)

Woah nelly, now that's a long but supercool score.  This score has that extra special Williams magic he's been missing lately.

John Williams - The Lost World (Complete)

Never gets old!

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

I love this score, especially after seeing the film again and now knowing what all the scenes all the cues are for, great film and score here, a highlight of 2017

Rabbit and Rogue (Danny...Elfman?)

WTF? I remember this one being positively received, but of course I never listened to it at the time. Now that I'm not going to Disneyland every day to do The Haunted Mansion over and over again, I finally have time to check this out.

Elfman? You're still alive, my old friend? Now it's by no means a great piece of work. It's no Batman Returns or Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Yet, it's clear this was composed by the guy who scored those masterpieces in that wonderful era. It's nice to listen to a longer piece like "Gamelan" and just be so delighted you want to listen to it again and again. Not like, say, Justice League,  which made me want to jump off a bridge. He must have been in a really good place when he worked on this.

It's a shame about everything else he's done since Spider-Man 2.

:music: Twister

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

Like everything associated with LIFEFORCE, it's overblown, and preposterous, but it's also a bloody good listen!

I prefer the Mancini, to the Kamen.

It really shouldn't be a comparison. The Mancini Lifeforce score is terrific, and has a lot going for it. The Kamen music is basically synth noodling, only added in because the producers had to go and cut the film for release in NA, while changing some aspects, and the music suffered because of it. 

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

The trio of great post-Titanic Horner epics:

The Four Feathers

Black Gold

Wolf Totem

Karol

Wolf Totem blew me away when I first heard it.  Outstanding level of orchestral writing. 

The Land from the Before Time :music:

Black Panther :music:

This is the first time an MCU score grabbed my interest and held on to it until the end .  Great orchestral writing/mixing, effective emotional moments (remember when film scores had those??), and cultural diversity.  Ludwvig Gorranson should score more tentpole films!  

Logan :music:

Enjoyed this far more than I thought I would.  I'm generally not a fan of Beltrami but his dissonant gritty sound is a good fit here.  Need to see the film.  

Firelight by Christopher Gunning: Another small scale Christopher Gunning gem with gorgeous violin solos.

Pan's Labyrinth by Javier Navarrete: An enchanting fantasy/horror score where the composer intentionally anchors almost the entire work on the mournful lullaby melody introduced on the first track which receives countless variations throughout.

Batman

Batman Returns

Titanic

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Twister

Star Trek: Generations

Just like old times! They sound the same as they did the last time I listened. The presentation has expanded a bit.

Doctor Zhivago- Jarre (the inclusion of swing/rock & roll/jazz versions of Lara's Theme tickles. If somewhat bizarre)

Deep Impact- Horner. Had part of Godspeed and Goodbye in my head last week and so the final two tracks in particular resonate. Personally the last track I always find quite moving -well, accompanying that scene when the astronauts are saying their goodbyes to their families.

Raiders of the Lost Ark- "Bad dates!"

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond (Varese Deluxe Edition)

I've cooled off on this score somewhat; It's still good, but Spider-man Homecoming is much more satisfying.

Hans Zimmer & Co - The Rock (Complete)

Wow, I've warmed up to this one!  I mean, I've always loved it ever since I was a kid, but over the years as longer and longer bootlegs and session leaks kept showing, I eventually started to like the complete score less and ended up going back to the OST when I wanted to listen to it.  This time, I enjoyed the entire complete score.  Great stuff.

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (Custom edit)

Bliss, one of the best film scores ever conceived by man.

The Happening by James Newton Howard: While the film is one of Shyamalan's worst the score once again rises above it and contains a strong musical concept which stops it from becoming just a bag of horror and suspense clichés and the final few tracks offer a wonderful emotional pay-off to the short motific main theme that continuously appears throughout.  The cello solos of Maya Beiser add another subtle layer of sinuous foreboding and elegance to the whole ominous affair.

Guild Wars by Jeremy Soule: If only Soule had had a budget for these scores and didn't love the orchestral samples so much as there is some good stuff in this score and would probably translate pretty well for a regular symphony orchestra.

The Five Sacred Trees by John Williams: One of my favourite Williams concertos that conjures beautifully the mythical landscape from which Williams' initial idea for the work grew, namely the Celtic mythology.

Stanley & Iris (Varese Deluxe Edition) by John Williams: A lovely little chamber score, as sunny and warm as a summer afternoon.

Yasunori Mitsuda - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Sound Selection CD)

Holy hell, Mitsuda is back, this was incredible.  Immediately made me want to download the entire score

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending

Hadn't listened to this one in a while.  Good stuff, actually, I kind of liked it more than I remembered.  Tomorrowland still blows it away, but it has its own charm.  I feel like with both John Carter and this, I want a sequel score more so than most other Giacchino scores.

Lena Raine - Celeste

GOooooooood stuff

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom- Parade of the Slave children has been a longtime favourite since I rented out my first John Williams CD (a best of compilation thing) and is also a favourite scene in the film (that reveal of Indy silhouetted)

The Last Crusade -on this first listen in ages, The Belly of the Steel Beast jumped out at me more than other tracks. Something about its sound that I can't quite elaborate on but we'll try a little -reminded me of his latest Star Wars scores (having listened to TFA/TLJ a few times before this re-listen of TLC)

Star Wars links imagined or real, around 1.12 to 1.15, the little fanfares

You see, Henry? (What?) The pen is mightier than the sword!

Listened also to Lincoln. Quite enjoy it still, tracks like the Southern Delegation and The People's House. Though it's the non-Williams Battle Cry of Freedom that I still find quite affecting. 

1 hour ago, Strangways said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom- Parade of the Slave children has been a longtime favourite since I rented out my first John Williams CD (a best of compilation thing) and is also a favourite scene in the film (that reveal of Indy silhouetted)

The Last Crusade -on this first listen in ages, The Belly of the Steel Beast jumped out at me more than other tracks. Something about its sound that I can't quite elaborate on but we'll try a little -reminded me of his latest Star Wars scores (having listened to TFA/TLJ a few times before this re-listen of TLC)

Star Wars links imagined or real, around 1.12 to 1.15, the little fanfares

You see, Henry? (What?) The pen is mightier than the sword!

Listened also to Lincoln. Quite enjoy it still, tracks like the Southern Delegation and The People's House. Though it's the non-Williams Battle Cry of Freedom that I still find quite affecting. 

Hmm... I do hear reflections of TLC in some of TFA, now that you mention it.

Was lucky to get to attend a live performance of Jonny Greenwood's PHANTOM THREAD today in Brooklyn, NY! Had kind of a crappy seat, but so glad I went. The principal players (including the piano soloist that features prominently in the score) were the actual people who recorded the soundtrack. Only the second performance of this score in the world, after last night's world premiere (same venue). The orchestra played brilliantly.

Might be one of his most soulful works. 

I love that the Mexican flavor really blends with the score, rather than just being an icing on top (if that description makes any sense). I enjoyed Giacchino's Coco, which bears obvious stylistic similarities, but in comparison that's just "Giacchino music, with some Mexican music, I guess". 

Heck, I might have enjoyed this score even more than Horner's Zorro music (which every time I listen to it only catches my attention during the action sequences).

Close Encounters - LLL

In 2 months, this score went from "haven't ever listened to it outside the movie which I only saw once" to probably one of my Top5 Williams scores, if I would keep such a list (which I don't).