What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Good German is zery good!

Karol

Alas, I've neither seen the film, nor heard the score, so, I'll bow to your superior knowledge, in this matter :)

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

not 90's

When did SIX FEET UNDER first air, because that main title is lightning in a bottle.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Alas, I've neither seen the film, nor heard the score, so, I'll bow to your superior knowledge, in this matter :)

It's Thomas Newman doing Alfred Newman, Herrmann etc.

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

It's Thomas Newman doing Alfred Newman, Herrmann etc.

Karol

It is truly excellent. Of course being a huge film noir fan it ticks all the right boxes for me. :) 

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hmm. Sounds promising. If anyone's going to rip-off Alfred Newman, it might as well be his own son.

Why don't you just check ot out?

And it has a superior Irina's theme too. ;)

Karol

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond (Varese DE)

Nice score, here!  Yorktown theme is great.

Howard Shore - The Fellowship of the Ring (fan edit)

The best film score of all time?

Michael Giacchino - Jupiter Ascending

Hadn't listened to this in a while.  It's fun, more fun than I remembered.  I used to think it dragged a lot in the middle area, but this time I really enjoyed it the whole time.

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (fan edit)

Hadn't listened to this in a while either.  I love every note of this score from front to back.  Someday Lucasfilm REALLY needs to commission a complete, properly assembled new presentation.  Please!

Lena Raine - Celeste

A masterpiece, gets better with every listen.

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Superb

Ludwig Goranson - Black Panther

Wow, I was impressed by this - at first.  The tribal drums sounded really cool, but then the album went on... and on.... and on.... the OST album is just way too long, and all interest wanes after a while.  Maybe there's a nice short playlist that can be made from this...

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (fan edit)

Damn this score is cool, the new medieval stylings blend well with the HP1/HP2 style, the new themes are great, the whole score is so much fun.  Such a uniquely staged and scored third act, too!

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

AMAZING.  So glad this is getting a CD release, its SO deserving.  Amazing amount (the gamerip I listened to was 8 hours I think) of really good music written for this project, wow!

Lena Raine - Celeste (Madeline's Grab Bag)

This "volume 2' style OST provides a bunch of short cues and jingles and all the b-side room remix music.  It's not a great listen on its own but contains some nice things, like the B-Side room music.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, I was impressed by this - at first.  The tribal drums sounded really cool, but then the album went on... and on.... and on.... the OST album is just way too long, and all interest wanes after a while.  Maybe there's a nice short playlist that can be made from this...

I had to listen to it in separate chunks but there weren't any stretches I'd call particularly bad or boring.  It could definitely have used a more concise presentation though.  

On 3/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, Jerry said:

Never really thought of it but what do you want? ET flying the Millenium Falcon with Jaws in full pursuit? You can never really make an appropriate album cover for a JW compilation.

...fork out the money to give Drew Struzan the job and I bet he'd manage it.

I stopped at Half Price Books on the way home from visiting mumsy and came across the original MCA album to E.T. I've always owned the 1996 album, at about 71 minutes...and confessedly, as a listening, I always thought it dragged. I always just waited for the highlights in-between the less compelling underscore, and of course the finale. So I was surprisingly interested in the original album, which is just 40 minutes. This rarely occurs, as I almost always prefer the entire work.

Played it on the way home and yeah, already I can say I'll be playing this from now on. Perfectly paced, has all the music my ears could want. This is baffling, since I happily own Intrada's Jaws or LLL's Jurassic Park, so on. Ah well.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore: This and Desolation of Smaug are constantly shifting as my favourite score of the trilogy. While the first score has a lot of retreading of older ground and revisiting the glories of the Lord of the Rings' themes, Shore does it with renewed vigour while also meticulously building up new foundations, especially expanding the dwarven musical world. The album is bursting with new interesting ideas that to me capture the storybeats perfectly.

There is a sense of adventure and optimism to the music that quickly fades in the sequels that I would have preferred the film makers had retained and while the Misty Mountains song melody is not written by Shore its incorporation gives the score a terrific recognizable musical signature that I also think they should have kept even if in a subdued form in the sequels. The composer also crafts great variations of the theme throughout the score and I would have also have loved to hear more of his own Adventure/Company theme in the score, perhaps combined with the Misty Mountains. Anywhoo the score as it is on the Special Edition 2-disc set is to me still the most pleasurable listening experience of the three even though the latter half of DoS is a tough competitor.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

I had a similar experience but that changed with my second careful listen. And the third, and the fourth, and fifth, and sixth...

Karol

I should get around to listen to it the first time. People seem to be surprisingly impressed.

I'll give the Black Panther OST another chance sometime soon, maybe after I see the movie

Alexandre Desplat - The Shape of Water (FYC)

I listened to this the next day after it won the Oscar, as I had just seen the film as well.  You know, its a really good score.  Not one I'll listen to frequently, but it really does its job perfectly.

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

You know, I like this score a lot.  The more I listen the more I like it.  Nice balance of themes and music styles.  I'd buy a complete release for sure.

Conan the Barbarian (Tadlow/Prometheus re-recording) by Basil Poledouris

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

Red Violin by John Corigliano

A Troll in Central Park by Robert Folk: Delightfully sappy, colorful listen. Don Bluth even on his worst days had good taste in composers, it seems.

Last Starfighter by Craig Safan: Confession time. The theme always gives me far more goose pimples than Star Wars or Trek.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Whenever i deny myself  big chunk of Toblerone cake i go for this instead. The effect is the same except for the missing stomach cramps.

:thumbup:

I think this is stylistically as close as Rózsa got to scoring a Disney animation musical, especially with that lengthy restored Market Place sequence and numerous other songs.

45 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I wasn't even aware lf the existence of Toblerone cake... Why on Earth would you deny yourself one?

Karol

Because of the above mentioned stomach cramps?

Schindler's List by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

:music:First Blood by Jerrald the Goldsmith

The original, and best, Rambo score.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I wasn't even aware lf the existence of Toblerone cake... Why on Earth would you deny yourself one?

Karol

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Two minutes on the lips, forever on the love-handles :lol:

Philosopher's Stone - Pure Williams magic all the way through, every second dripping with nostalgia and wonder. The Children's Suite would really deserve a proper release instead of the little bits on the OST, Diagon Alley is one of my new favourite JW pieces, and Harry's Wondrous World just makes so much sense and becomes so satisfying when topping it all off!

Chamber of Secrets - Some of the verbatim repeats become really jarring, especially when repeated multiple times in the score, but a large percentage of the new material is bigger, darker, bolder, maybe even better than the first one.

Arrival - Jóhann Jóhannsson

One of Jóhannsson's best film scores.

Inception - Hans Zimmer

A top 10, if not top 5 of all time Zimmer. Great.

American Beauty - Thomas Newman

A top 5 Newman. Gorgeous.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

But is pleasure without even a pinch of suffering worth the bother? ;)

:music: Basic Instinct.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But is pleasure without even a pinch of suffering worth the bother? ;)

:music: Basic Instinct.

Karol

Ok, then.

toblerone_ger_png.png?itok=fiaof4nQ

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

:thumbup:

I think this is stylistically as close as Rózsa got to scoring a Disney animation musical, especially with that lengthy restored Market Place sequence and numerous other songs.

I recently saw chunks of 'Beauty and the Beast' (2017) and i assure you, Rózsa towers above such putrid stuff (though the libretto is as bad).

11 hours ago, publicist said:

I recently saw chunks of 'Beauty and the Beast' (2017) and i assure you, Rózsa towers above such putrid stuff (though the libretto is as bad).

Well beyond any doubt but the sing-songy musical style approach for the Thief of Bagdad is almost an anomaly among all the Rózsa scores I have heard. Did he do anything comparable before or after?

The Rocketeer by James Horner: Such a wonderful energetic, playful and soaring piece from Horner who imbued this music with both the appropriate stylings of the Golden and Silver Age and his own broad sweeping style. The infectuous main theme is part comic book folk/superhero part the sheer exuberance and marvel of flight and ties everything together in a masterful way accompanied by several apt and none too subtle villanous motifs and a suitably swooning love theme to form a perfect framework for the whole score where leitmotifs effortlessly and joyously play off each other throughout. In my book very few Horner scores are quite as perfectly balanced as this, offering adventurous thrills and romantic sweep in equal measure.

:music:Star Trek Insurrection by Jerraldus the Golden Tunesmith

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well beyond any doubt but the sing-songy musical style approach for the Thief of Bagdad is almost an anomaly among all the Rózsa scores I have heard. Did he do anything comparable before or after?

Very much, though the 'Jungle Book' (also a Korda Technicolor production from the early 40's) with its almost violent tunefulness fits the same bill. Sadly this will probably not be re-recorded complete anytime soon, though Rumon Gamba did a great 30-minute suite of the main material.

Today's my birthday and I listen only the best!

Here's how we start the day:

- The Reivers (Original album)

- Jaws (Original album, LLL)

- CE3K (Original album, Audio Fidelity) + the Disco Track of course :cheer:

- Star Wars (Original double album, remastered)

- Superman (Original double album, Japanese 16 tracks CD)

- 1941 (Original album, LLL)

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Bespin I tried to pm you, but I wasn't able to. No worries. Have a great birthday!!! :wizard:  Can we ask how old you are?

My profile say the truth, 44!

Guardians of the Galaxy, by Tyler Bates :music:

It's remarkably unremarkable. The choices for the various songs used throughout the movie are very good, but the score itself is shallow and pretty dull at times. From "poor" to "great", I'd give this a "meh".

** and 1/2 out of *****

Hugo, by Howard Shore :music:

Shore's finest work since the Lord of the Rings films. An upbeat and mesmerizing score that complements the film very well. The main theme is outstanding.

***** out of *****