What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Baby's Day Out by Bruce Broughton

Love that main theme, but hot dang, the Intrada album's waaaaaaaaaaay too long. The aforementioned main theme just makes you want to scream after hearing it for 80 minutes. Hoping to try and put together a 50-ish minute playlist.

The Witches of Eastwick by John Williams: Such a fiendishly playful and frolicking comedy/fantasy/horror score from the Maestro that fits the breezy take on John Updike's novel, generally light but with some wonderfully devilish sinister touches and such a catchy dance macabre main theme (not to mention the gorgeous setpiece of Seduction of Suki and the Ballroom Scene).

The Horner library especially is HUGE. So there's always something interesting for ears to discover. You hear some scores that are clearly 'business as usual' sound, some popular fan favorites that oddly have yet to resonate with my ears...and one tonight where I felt my ears perk up, my eyes widen, perhaps a tear forming...that made the music trekking feel worth it.

I'm sorry I've never heard this one before...

On 09/03/2018 at 12:42 PM, Bespin said:

Big big day, the best of the best part III, again!

- Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom (original album)

- The Empire of the Sun (original album)

- Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (original album)

- Hook (original album)

The best of the best Part IV today!

- Far and Away

- Jurassic Park (original album)
- Schindler's List

- Music For Stage And Screen (Boston Pops O)

Band of Brothers by Michael Kamen: This was Kamen's last magnum opus, a beautiful work that runs the gamut of emotions from triumph to tragedy and back. The music focuses squarely on the personal experiences of these men in the midst of the WWII not the fighting itself, many of the soldiers receiving their own musical ideas and setpieces of heart tugging lyrical contemplation and sadness but also of rousing heroism, determination and finally peace and solace. The whole album is to me full of highlights but the hymn-like Main Theme, both Band of Brothers Suite One and Two and the classically tinged and heartbreaking Discovery of the Camp are Kamen at his very best.

Maps to the Stars - Howard Shore

I think this is Shore's finest score since The Lord of the Rings.

Cosmopolis - Howard Shore & Metric

His second best score since The Lord of the Rings.

I like the Hobbit scores, especially some highlight cues here and there, but I think they are too tedious as a whole.

Looking forward to getting my copy and having a listen. Should arrive some time this week.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

Looking forward to getting my copy and having a listen. Should arrive some time this week.

It was worth the money.

Karol

I just recently listened to Schindler's List OST. I love it.

Because of the collaborations of Itzhak Perlman and Yo-Yo Ma, it seemed natural to me to make this little compilation, combining Schindler's, Tibet and Geisha.

It looks simple now as it is done, but sometimes, you're in the mood for listening this music.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

On 12/03/2018 at 2:30 AM, kaseykockroach said:

I'm sorry I've never heard this one before...

Are you sure? :P

JNH was hot stuff in the 90's, dude. What the heck ever happened to him? 

The Pagemaster by James Horner

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West by James Horner

Weird choice for a 'most wanted cue', I'm sure, but I've always wanted an expansion of this one as even as a kid, the music at 1:59 ingrained itself into my head for some reason (along with the whole image of Tiger clutching onto the train for dear life). But it's no big deal, as the album pretty much covers everything else. 

On 6/3/2018 at 3:59 AM, Philippe Roaché said:

images.jpeg

It even has Always.

That cd was my first aquaintance with Always and I loved it. (I especially loved the counterpoint created by the piano)

I didn't know at all what was the movie about and I hadn't  seen any photos of it either.

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

What a fabulous and underappreciated score.  The lyrical theme is deeply moving.

I just listened to it last weekend and came to the same conclusion. Excellent stuff. All three of JNH's Disney scores, Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Dinosaur are pretty ace.

Just re-discovered this (very lyrical) foundling in Hollywood's huge 'rejected' basket from the 90's. Typical Nyman, but at least it's his own brand of minimalism (tidbit: he coined the term), ranging between peppy and bittersweet. Compared to the lame rom-com score Silvestri turned in for this witchcraft whimsy, it's out-and-out Oscar-worthy.

Hollow Man by Jerry Goldsmith

Hey, I'm kind of digging this! One shouldn't expect this to be on par with the other Verhoeven/Goldsmith goodies, but it's a sweet atmospheric listen anyhow. I'm pleasantly surprised the OST goes over half an hour. 

Back to the Future Trilogy

The first one's a classic adventure score with a handful of "big" highlight cues, the rest being mostly fluff, but at 40 or so minutes, it's no bother at all, flows well enough.

The second one expands it incredibly well, putting in enough new motifs and variants/combinations of older ones next to all the obligatory reprisals that it keeps it all fresh. 

And by the time it would all get stale in the third one (To 1885 comes close but thankfully it's quite short) it all just gets a whole new Western flavour and is fresh again! The train stuff is damn great and (for me) a serious contender for the classis Clocktower.

9 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Hey, I'm kind of digging this! One shouldn't expect this to be on par with the other Verhoeven/Goldsmith goodies, but it's a sweet atmospheric listen anyhow. I'm pleasantly surprised the OST goes over half an hour. 

In cues like this you hear old, complex Jerry quite uncommon for the crash/bang days of 'Air Force One' and 'The Mummy':

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I just listened to it last weekend and came to the same conclusion. Excellent stuff. All three of JNH's Disney scores, Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Dinosaur are pretty ace.

They are better than most of his live action stuff.

Karol

Star Trek: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith- Haven't really gotten into this one. I've given this several tries, and anything that isn't Klingon or main theme statements just passes through one ear and out the other. I'd sell it, but I guess everyone who loves this score already has it. I mean, it's good, just doesn't captivate me.

Congo by Jerry Goldsmith- This one's really fun though! The ten minute finale is quite delicious, even if it's overall a good burger compared to the banquet that Ghost and the Darkness provides. 

44 minutes ago, dtw42 said:

Défense De Savoir.

My first Bruno Nicolai.

Go on.

It's a kind of 90's sweet saccharine, with strong Horner and Barry touches. Not bad as such! McKenzie learned the ropes with the best.

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

What a fabulous and underappreciated score.  The lyrical theme is deeply moving.

That theme is special enough that I picked this score (and Lady in the Water) to get signed over some other obvious, more famous candidates.

15 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I still say it's his final masterpiece.

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Star Trek: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith- Haven't really gotten into this one. I've given this several tries, and anything that isn't Klingon or main theme statements just passes through one ear and out the other. I'd sell it, but I guess everyone who loves this score already has it. I mean, it's good, just doesn't captivate me.

I didn't like it much at first, but soon started appreciating it more. The full score release clearly placed it above his TNG scores, perhaps just slightly below TMP.

Try stuff like A Tall Ship, Plot Course, the classic action set pieces (Raid on Paradise and Open the Gates). And that wonderfully Brucknerian adagio with Klingon brass counterpoint (a good example of perfect spotting) in the finale. It's also one of the best sounding Goldsmith scores (and that's saying something).

20 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Actually hadn't heard that one before either. ;)

Yeah, I'm sorry. Horner is the composer with the highest number of scores I've ever heard. I think 65% of everything he did.

I think the "Bicentennial" theme is more beautiful than the "Beautiful Mind".

There's indeed still a ton of Horner, Goldsmith, Williams, etc I haven't heard yet. Just making little discoveries a bit at a time. I can never really predict what my ears will make of it, despite a score's popularity. I've really become fond of Hollow Man recently, while every time I try to listen to Braveheart nothing clicks. 

I actually liked what I've heard of The BFG, moreso than when I tried to listen to Tintin or War Horse