What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith: The new Intrada re-release of the score. My very first proper listen of the score surprised me as there was a lot more quieter emotional music on the soundtrack than I had anticipated but it is all great stuff. And to think all of this was written for a silly action film but then again Jerry found inspiration and challenge in the most unlikeliest of places. I'll be revisiting this a lot in the future I wager.

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith: Another completely new Goldsmith score to my ears and again one that delivered beyond my expectations. A very short (clocking around 30 minutes) but highly effective work reminding me of Capricorn One in its tone. The newly performed synths fit the work like a glove (Leigh Phillips and Mike Matessino did a great job) and this is another work that feels like it doesn't have a wasted minute on it. 

THE WAV PROJECT

I just bought new 32Gb micro SD cards for my mp3 player (that could also play WAV, I did not remember) and decided to re-encode some JW scores I own in WAV.

Which ones to begin with?

Well, those which sounds wonderfull and of course, those which are Future Proof* !

The Chosen ones....

2017-The Post

2017-The Last Jedi

2017-CE3K LLL

2017-E.T. LLL

2017-Stanley & Iris/Pete 'n' Tillie Varèse Sarabande

2017-John Williams/Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection

2016-The JW Jurassic Park Collection LLL

2015-The Force Awakens

2015-Home Alone 25th Anniversary LLL

2015-Jaws Intrada

2015-Jaws 2 Intrada

2015-Artificial Intelligence LLL

2014-Empire of the Sun LLL

2013-Rosewood LLL

2013-The Fury LLL

2012-Lincoln

2012-Home Alone 2 LLL

2011-Midway Varèse Sarabande

2011-1941 LLL

2010-Family Plot Varèse Sarabande

2010-Black Sunday FSM

2005-Memoirs of a Geisha

2002-Yo-Yo Ma Plays The Music Of John Williams

1997-Seven Years in Tibet

* Future Proof = Mike Matessino :rock2:

(ok, I know, I don't own the Superman blue box!!!)

First Blood by Jerry Goldsmith

:music:The Sand Pebbles by Jerry Goldsmith

Suite for Cello and Orchestra from Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: All in all pretty darn sublime.

:music:Music for Stage and Screen by Aaron Copland and John Williams & Boston Pops

46 minutes ago, Caliburn said:

Brass on a rampage on that one :-)

Muscular stuff to be sure.

But curiously after listening to it for a while now it is one of those scores that I prefer in a shorter tighter listening experience. The full score has quite a bit of less than arresting underscore before we get to the meat of the music.

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman: This is one of those Elfman scores that I tend to keep on steady rotation on my playlist. I adore the very moody Gothic horror vibe which is very intelligently handled by the composer while tying everything together with his simple yet effective Wojciech Kilar-esque main theme.

A Palace Upon The Ruins - Howard Shore

Robin Hood: Legacy Collection - George Bruns et al

Beauty and the Beast: Legacy Collection - Alan Menken

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Muscular stuff to be sure.

But curiously after listening to it for a while now it is one of those scores that I prefer in a shorter tighter listening experience. The full score has quite a bit of less than arresting underscore before we get to the meat of the music.

There's some cool stuff on the expansion that I wouldn't like to miss. New Order Montage!

Horner combining this big militaristic Americana stuff with a children's choir is so avant garde. Who else would have ever thought to do that and pulled it off with such skill and ease so you would never question it.

5 hours ago, Trent B said:

The Last Jedi (Complete) - John Williams

I love this score way better than The Force Awakens in my opinion.

The complete score does paint a better picture of the score than the force theme heavy OST but in my opinion, it's not fit to lick the pants of TFA

All Star Wars music stinks, I'm listening to Mickey Donald Goofy in The Three Musketeers by Bruce Broughton and no Star Wars score is fit to polish this one's boots! :P

Seriously though, this score's a delight. If John Powell is this generation's Scott Bradley, then Bruce Broughton is this generation's Carl Stalling. 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

That's top Horner.

I'm listening to Star Trek: First Contact by Jerry Goldsmith.  I love the cold, unsettlingly sexy stuff for the Borg Queen.

Indeed. The Borg music is very effective both the mechanical assimilation material and the whispering Borg Queen music.

Jurassic World by that Italian dude...with some cues from the recording sessions thrown in (more or less making the score 24 tracks and 73 minutes)! :music:

...well, okay, 23 tracks, 69 minutes...and then the Weird Al song as track 24.

The Force Awakens (SonicAdventure's OST/FYC combo and remaster)

Huh. Considerably less engaging than I remember. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to it, but at parts I forgot I was listening to it. Has a number of great sequences, but also a fair share of kinda bland underscore that goes nowhere.

The Last Jedi (first listen of my OST/FYC/iso score/my deleted score rips combo, where the only part I removed is the tracking in the beginning of The Duel Begins)

wow. wow. WOW. Holy shit. Buckle up for the next few months, because the only way I'll be able to talk about this is magnitudes.

The new material is all likeable and amazing. 

How it handles the themes introduced in TFA is my new the golden standard of what you can do with the medium of leitmotivic score and how to progress motifs.

The way it uses old SW material is mostly great, and even the Force Theme doesn't have as oppressive a presence in this longer format as the OST leads us to think. I love how Luke only gets his old theme back when he ascended into legend and the kids are telling stories of him.

I struggled very hard to find a second of dead air or bland underscore, but I really couldn't. I feared the sneaking around the Supremacy/Poe's mutiny could be it, but that underlying tense tempo doesn't let your attention go.

It's filled to the brim with bombastic, youthful energy.

The action sequences are memorable and Star Wars-y, the callbacks are lovely, the fanfares can be both OT-y and Prequely, the legendary moments are scored appropriately...

WE WERE GIVEN THE WHOLE ISOLATED SCORE!

OK, I got it out of my system, I'll try to confine my enthusiasm to the Short Williams Moments thread now.

Ben-Hur (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: While I had some reservations about purchasing this as I already owned the FSM boxed set the reinterpretation with modern sound is excellent and the Prague orchestra is completely attuned to playing Rózsa. Almost needless to say that this is a classic in every sense of the word and one of the best of the Golden Age.

Basic Instinct (Quartet Records release) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Terminal by John Williams

:music: Jupiter Ascending by Michael Giapoopoo. Somewhat unwieldy on it's long album but one of his finest works. If not the finest. Unlike most of his scores, this doesn't feel like an homage to anything. It has its own personality, for better or worse (not counting one John Barry-flavoured piece). And while the entire work might feel bit all over the place, the best material is Gia's finest hour as a feature film composer.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Jupiter Ascending by Michael Giapoopoo. Somewhat unwieldy on it's long album but one of his finest works. If not the finest. Unlike most of his scores, this doesn't feel like an homage to anything. It has its own personality, for better or worse (not counting one John Barry-flavoured piece). And while the entire work might feel bit all over the place, the best material is Gia's finest hour as a feature film composer.

Karol

Now if he could give great music to a GOOD movie, that'd be swell. :P

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Now if he could give great music to a GOOD movie, that'd be swell. :P

That's true. Every single "original" blockbuster score was attached to a movie that bombed.

Wait, I thought he was supposed to be the next John Williams...

10868981.gif

Perhaps he's the next Goldsmith then? ;)

Karol

:music: Red Sparrow by JNH. The majority of it is quite delicious but why on Earth is it mixed so low? In any case, the best material on this album should impress even disillusioned @Incanus.

Karol

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why in WAV? 

My mp3 player is old and can't play FLAC, but he refuse to die! The next one will play them.

18 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Red Sparrow by JNH. The majority of it is quite delicious but why on Earth is it mixed so low? In any case, the best material on this album should impress even disillusioned @Incanus.

Karol

I haven't gotten to this yet but these sound excellent. 

57 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sounds interesting, Bes. Track listing, if you wouldn't mind.

The Bond Suite
A1a James Bond Theme
Written-By – Monty Norman

A1b Whisper Who Dares  
A1c Bond Meets Solitaire  
A1d Live And Let Die
Written-By – Paul & Linda McCartney

-
A2 Air On The G String  
  The Beatle Suite
A3a Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band  
A3b Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds