What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Disney's Robin Hood by George Bruns

Hey, this is actually pretty fun! The movie's a minor guilty pleasure of mine (one of the only fun ones from Disney's dark age at least), so I wasn't expecting anything great from the score on its own. 

1 hour ago, Margo Channing said:

Olivia was pretty in that one.

She was hot to trot.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Goodwin, eh? Probably belongs more in the classical thread, but never mind:

Geez, @Marian Schedenig, when did you get that?!

CANDLESHOE? FORCE 10..? Wow?

Where did you get it autographed?

On 08/04/2018 at 7:19 AM, kaseykockroach said:

Disney's Robin Hood by George Bruns

Hey, this is actually pretty fun! The movie's a minor guilty pleasure of mine (one of the only fun ones from Disney's dark age at least), so I wasn't expecting anything great from the score on its own. 

What's guilty about it? It's fully deserving of Disney classic status. Also Peter Ustinov. And the score, of course.

On 08/04/2018 at 12:11 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It doubt it's better than the Flynn version.

I think it has some deliberate parallels to the Flynn version specifically. Robin's stork disguise is rather similar to Flynn's tournament disguise in the 1938 version.

On 08/04/2018 at 1:44 PM, Richard said:

Geez, @Marian Schedenig, when did you get that?!

CANDLESHOE? FORCE 10..? Wow?

Where did you get it autographed?

That's not my video! I have the CD (had to buy a used one, I think; I first knew it as a scratchy library copy), but not autographed. I adore the Drake 400 suite, but the rest of the album is fun, too. Love Goodwin's Auld Lang Syne arrangement.

Another good Goodwin sampler is the Gamba/BBC compilation. 

17 hours ago, publicist said:

Sadly never released on Blu-ray, as far as I know. It's a strong film, as far as I recall, and the Kilar score is classy as usual. Including a seriously ballsy statement of the Schubert theme.

It is a very good dark psychological play.

I don't know if anyone but Morricone ever devised more ballsy hard-on music like the electrical guitar tune round the 30-second mark. The FSM cd is highly recommended - apart from rinky-tink piano there is also a lot of thematic writing, flowing pathos and a mean edgy Stravinskyian cue. 

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's not my video! I have the CD (had to buy a used one, I think; I first knew it as a scratchy library copy), but not autographed. I adore the Drake 400 suite, but the rest of the album is fun, too. Love Goodwin's Auld Lang Syne arrangement.

Another good Goodwin sampler is the Gamba/BBC compilation. 

They're both on Spotify:

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's the National Youth Orchestra. They played MERCURY, this morning. It was a tad fast, but it was well-played.

Here's a recording from a concert I attended in February of Trondheim Symphony Orchestra playing The Planets and a suite of music from Star Wars. It's available worldwide.

https://radio.nrk.no/serie/paa-konsert-radio/MKKL16000818/22-02-2018

I think the conductor really nailed the emotional aspect in the middle part of Jupiter.

Speaking about tempo; I think the imperial march is a tad too fast, while the asteroid field is too slow.

Have you heard Holst's two commercial recordings made in the 20s? They're definitely fast!

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just stumbled over this awful collection from London Philharmonics. It's obviously transcribed by (a very bad) ear:

I looked at the first bit and thought that this was all Star Wars but then I saw Tron.

Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann

Truly, one of the greatest scores ever written, with a great fucking album to boot.