What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

True. I've got a lot of time for Henry V, Much Ado, S&S, and so on.

This one's new to me; sounds good from that clip though :-)

Titanic

It's Star Trek and love. Better than everything and all you need.

Oops, got beat to this.

:music: The Four Feathers by James Horner. About 50 minutes of very good Horner and another 30 of an OK Horner. Overall one of his more overlooked scores, especially in the last 20 years of his career. The sound quality on the album is very good too.

Karol

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams: This is a fantastic score and would be even more fantastic in complete form.

Whoever put together three singing muppet singing 'Ma nah Ma nah' must have seen this goofy italian sexploitation 'documentary' - where this genius song sprung from, depicting nude swedes dancing naked in the snow around a sauna cabin.

59 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

It's almost better than everything?

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Williams was surprisingly adventurous in the 1970's with his projects or perhaps he was just fortuitously offered some off-kilter movies and challenging projects by his collaborators that required unusual approaches instead of the more conventional accompaniment and to my mind Altman's Images and The Long Goodbye might be the most unique among these. While The Long Goodbye is a tad on  one note and very purposefully so, but Images is just a bag of oddity and avant garde invention in a very interesting way where Williams juxtaposes the accessible melodic idea with the wholesale strangeness of his strings and percussion ensemble which frightfully but effectively illustrates the gradual deterioration of a person's psyche. Not an easy listen by any means but I find there is something bewitching in the whole chaotic atmosphere punctuated now and then by the almost lullaby-like main theme that is at the same time fateful, haunting and tragic.

Plus the percussionist Stomu Yamash'ta's vocalizations in this score are priceless. :P 

21 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Egyptian by Bennie and Al. Wow, this is great!

Karol

Another on my "to get" list. Is there noticeable difference between the two composers' voices in the score?

Umm, to be honest, they work very well together. Herrmann definitely is more extrovert than usual. Some of the cues he wrote sounded like Newman to me. LLL set is great but I will also get the Naxos re-recording for more modern recording. But for an early 1950's it sounds pretty good. Worth it and, knowing your tastes, vety much up your alley.

Karol

I'm giving Lockington's Rampage a spin this morning. I always have high hopes for his scores, with Journey 2 being in my top 5 scores of all time. But so far it's pretty average, generic stuff.

Track 2, Gorillas, is my favorite track so far I'd guess... it had some nice choral stuff in the middle. Almost halfway through it, so here's hoping to some killer action music in the 2nd half.

Next up is the new Lost in Space (Netflix) album by Chris Lennertz. No idea what to expect, except that it'll probably make me want to listen to BB's Lost in Space album from the early 2000's, which is a great listen.

Broughton's LIS is definitely good and Jay is right.  I was really happy when they released this set. I thought it would never happen but alas it's there.

Mostly generic pap, occasionally fun (the Williams tune, silly as it may be, stands out as in a good way). Sometimes the capable Lennertz is allowed to have fun (Family Chores Fugue), mostly it's warmed-over JNH which is doubly sad as he could have written much more harmonically interesting stuff.

I've never heard William's LIS theme (having never seen the original show), so I don't really know which is his theme. Nothing stands out to me as really silly. I'm towards the end now, just had a couple really nice tracks, Maureen at Work & Maureen Flies. I'm digging the album, pretty good stuff.

Despite the disposable lameness of Rampage's score, I am deeply happy to currently live in a world where big-budget monster movies are popular again (Rampage, upcoming Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, The Meg, Kong: Skull Island, upcoming Godzilla, etc). 

On 4/10/2018 at 1:45 PM, Richard said:

Thanks for the link, JS!

MERCURY is just a smidgen too fast, but JUPITER is bang-on, and it's the slowest SATURN I've heard in many a year. Its good though, because it's often hard to get SATURN right.

I love the energetic Mercury! Dutoit's famous Decca recording has a Saturn which is just as slow. :)