What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

47 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

No it's called repetition!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Finished FOTR CRS. Good, but there is an incredible Shire/Pensive setting/whatever overload at the end and way too little Gondor references.

Wel, you know you could edit in the cut statements from the rarities archive, but you found that boring so oh well.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Finished FOTR CRS. Good, but there is an incredible Shire/Pensive setting/whatever overload at the end and way too little Gondor references.

Why should there be many Gondor references in the music at this point of the story?

The one Gondor in Decline on solo horn and the one Minas Tirith is perfectly satisfactory for the story Fellowship tells. Though I edited the Prologue Gondor statement so it flows from the end of the Ringwraiths to Footsteps of Doom. In my head while listening, it underscores a role call by Galadriel introducing Isildur, Elendil, Gil-Galad and Elrond, with quick heroic action cutaways.

And he does get two Gondor-related snippets in his two big personal moments where he's talking about the greatness of men and is proud of it.

Listening to Spotify all day Friday:

Christopher Lennertz - Lost In Space (2018)

Nothing stood  out to me at all.. BUT I did  listen first thing in the morning and wasn't fully awake yet.  It deserves another chance from me.

John Williams - The Accidental Tourist

Lovely.

Victor Reyes - Grand Piano

I hadn't listened to this in a while, maybe over a year.  Boy, it's still really great!

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of 1,000 Planets

Sooooooo good, I love this score more every time I listen.  I used to only like the Big Market segments, then Big Market and the Mul stuff, now I really love the entire score, its really strong.  AD is so hit or miss with me, but this is a BIG hit!

James Newton Howard - Red Sparrow

Hey, the beginning and ending of this album is pretty cool!  The middle is kind of forgettable but not terrible.  I'll be listening to this one again soon, and I'm kind of curious to see the movie now.

On my trip to Houston and back I listened to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and the Towering Inferno. I had to skip a few tracks in ESB and RotJ. Star Wars is just absolutely perfect. I embarrassed myself by air conducting through east tejas.

Robots by John Powell

Drove to see Innerspace with this wacky favorite, and shall now drive home to...

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams 

Ideal peaceful night driving music. Would've chosen a Goldsmith, but  Geisha just feels right for my current mellow mood.

Fort Saganne: For lovers of the cello and Williams' (and Morricone's) more concertant film music (Geisha among it), this score by Philippe Sarde might be right up their alley. It's colonial epos about peasant Gerard Depardieu who plays Charles Saganne, a soldier serving in the French Foreign Legion managing France's colonial interests in the Sahara desert, and still, the music is a thousand miles away from what conventional wisdom would dictate idiomatically and leans instead of Saint-Saens and Debussy for inspiration (it's positively airy). It's rather wonderful (though not for the Star Wars/LOTR crowd).

:music: Ready Player One by Alan Silvestri. Definitely his strongest work since 2009's A Christmas Carol and one of the most enjoyable albums since The Mummy Returns. I'm not saying that it is particularly refined or anything but orchestral sophistication was never Silvestri's forte anyway. It's basically a very good execution of his style that hasn't changed much since 1980's.

Karol

Ready Player One.  Great main theme, great score.

Ed Wood :music:

One of the few non Elfman Burton scores but in this case it turned out to work out for the better.  Shore's score is wacky but not in the kinetic zany way Elfman would have likely scored it.

Was listening to The Force Awakens and grandpa mistook it for Giacchino. "There's no strong theme! Nothing you can whistle!"

I played Rey's Theme and he scoffed at how bland it was. 

I eventually told him it's actually John Williams and he was quite dumbfounded.

Just sharing as I was heavily amused. 

16 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Was listening to The Force Awakens and grandpa mistook it for Giacchino. "There's no strong theme! Nothing you can whistle!"

I played Rey's Theme and he scoffed at how bland it was. 

I eventually told him it's actually John Williams and he was quite dumbfounded.

Just sharing as I was heavily amused. 

That's what literally everybody here said on first listen too.  It's a grower!

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Avengers. Great main theme, dull score.

Wha' cha talkin' 'bout, boy? McNeely does a great job!

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

She's no Bryce Dallas Howard, Natalie Portman or Katie McGrath, but...she gets the job done.

Image result for tom and jerry puss n toots

He's never seen Julie Christie, or Jenny Agutter, in their prime. Bloody hell, but that's class!

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams: Quite sublime in its entirety. Makes me wish JW would record more of his concert works and suites with other great soloists.

:music:Saving Private Ryan

Treesong by John Williams: Another terrific album with another great soloist. Both Treesong and the Violin Concerto are beautiful but to my mind completely opposite works. The former is light, delicate and ethereal while the latter is tragic, anguished, lyrical and emotionally charged but both have their own charm. The film output is represented by the Three Pieces from Schindler's List which is another great showcase of the violin.

:music: The Score by Howard Shore

34 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Treesong by John Williams: Another terrific album with another great soloist. Both Treesong and the Violin Concerto are beautiful but to my mind completely opposite works. The former is light, delicate and ethereal while the latter is tragic, anguished, lyrical and emotionally charged but both have their own charm. The film output is represented by the Three Pieces from Schindler's List which is another great showcase of the violin.

Probably my favourite album with Williams' concert music.

Karol

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My booklet for Treesong is missing some pages, while others are duplicated. Anyone else noticed this?

My copy doesn't have any problems.