What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Roar! (The Cloverfield Overture) by Michael Giacchino

10 Cloverfield Lane by 🐻 McCreary

The Cloverfield Paradox by 🐻 McCreary

Karol

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

May I have your booklet then?

:sarcasm:

I am afraid not. Sorry.

From almost the same year and completely ill-served by a movie its own production company found so irrelevant it played only for three days in Canada, 'Lionheart' is and always will be, next to Rózsa's 'Ivanhoe' my all-time favourite knight score. After Goldsmith's scores became idiomatically bigger in the mid-70's, with a heavy emphasis on french impressionism, he accordingly ventured into a leitmotivic approach he personally was not very fond of when the movie required it (Lionheart does in spades) - the results were always stellar, even when working under strained conditions like here. 

Franklin J. Schaffner, who frankly had seen better days and filming a lackluster script that may not be as awful as some will have you believe but hardly worth the time of such a talented old craftsman, did this medieval adventure in eastern Europe (to save a few pennies) and Goldsmith also went to Budapest (the second time after 'King Solomon's Mines', another full-blown adventure score). The story of a young but not very promising knight (Eric Stoltz) sent out to prove himself, assembling a Robin Hood-like band of children joining him on a wee 'crusade' or rather, trotting along uninviting romanian landscapes, battling a demonic child-snatching Gabriel Byrne begged for not much, musically, but it's a textbook example of Goldsmith wildly (wonderfully) overreaching to make up for the movie's shortcomings while intelligently keeping his orchestral apparatus airy and appropriately 'young' instead of bombastic. So yes, you probably enjoy this score much more if you never ventured to Youtube to watch the movie.

All themes relating to Robert Nerra, the Stoltz character, are built on a characteristic three-note call. Often used as heroic fanfare it's the building block for a long, stately hymnal tune (the main theme, often joined by a chattering woodwinds representing the wandering children), a minor-drenched love theme for Nerra and his lady (one of Goldsmith's most convincing creations, considering love themes were not exactly his forte) and a faintly medieval questing motif. That's already quite a line-up, though 'Lionheart' offers riches beyond, especially a wonderful english folk tune enlarged for full orchestra for a warrior girl (Mathilda) and of course, a darkly Orffian chant for the Black Prince (with three or four other ideas for locations and situations dynamically interacting). That you never would mistake these pieces for anyone but Goldsmith is a given, but still, the painterly splendor he achieves in a succession of long set pieces is quite something.

Chief among the scores highlights are 'The Banner', which midway through its noble horn recitation of the main theme goes into a bright crusader's fanfare (it's Rambo in the middle ages) before closing with a joyful medieval dance, the aforementioned 'Mathilda' cue, a wild, cheerful battle between hers and Lionheart's theme that should be studied by young composers for virtuosity's sake, and finally, 'King Richard', linked above, a finale that really does nothing wrong in terms of epic closure and variation, bringing the hymnal tune to a giant conclusion.

The much-maligned playing by the Hungarian State Opera Orchestra is fair (they sometimes flub in up-front brass parts which are painful, as 50 seconds into 'The Wrong Flag') but on the whole, they keep up in other complicated parts well. Goldsmith still overdubbed them with synths in many spots, probably because of dissatisfaction but also because he was just too damn fond of his Yamaha's then and the results are often not pretty. The new ultra-clean digital recording techniques add an overt brightness (up-trebling without depth in the bass) that is still more than listenable but make me long for a new recording with better rehearsed musicians and minus the brass synth doublings sound awful and frankly do not contribute anything. But even without such super-worthy project, Varése's multiple releases of this score belong into any self-respecting film music collection. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Really, Jay? "Lovely"? The score's a mini chuffin' masterpiece, and all you can say is "lovely"?

Masterpiece?  I dunno about that.  It's quite nice though, I liked it a lot.  I'd buy an expanded reissue.

Good day.

Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Planet Earth (soundtracks) all in on rent, along with The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (film)!!!

Returned samplers The Phantom Menace and the Desolation of Smaug (soundtracks) in the meantime.

Evolution by John Powell

Funny memory with this one...as a kid, obviously long before I got into film scores, I rented the movie at the library (out of obligation to rent and/or buy every single monster movie that caught my youthful gaze). I don't know if it'd hold up or not upon a revisit, but I found it really fun as a tyke. The score got my attention (especially the glorious fanfare at that climactic slime monster explosion), but because I was/am an idiot, I assumed it was John Williams doing the music. Because pre-teen me assumed every single good music in a movie was done by that John Williams guy. Yes, including The Lion King. I don't know why I didn't bother reading film credits. 

John Williams - Saving Private Ryan

In honor of the 20th anniversary and because I hadn't listened in a while.  Still the subdued score I remembered, but picked up on some nice passages I want to revisit this time.

Brad Fiedel - The Terminator (OST)

Heh, hadn't listened to this in forever.  20 minute score selection is brilliant, captures every major idea of the full score!  The pop songs from side B were garbage.

John Williams - The Force Awakens

My first time listening since really getting to know the Last Jedi score. It's funny, now when I hear Rey's Theme get a long-lined treatment in this score, I expect in my head for it to transition to the Luke in Exile/Island theme from TLJ, but it never does!  I really dug the action music this time more than ever, especially I Can Fly Anything and Follow Me / The Falcon

John Williams - The Post

Short and sweet and very enjoyable.  OST album is so nicely arranged.

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy V

A hidden gem of the SNES era for me.  Good stuff.

Chariots of Fire, by Vangelis :music:

Yes, the 80s synth sounds a little dated nowadays, but it's still a wonderful, uplifting score for an inspiring film. "Abraham's Theme" is ethereal.

**** and 1/2 out of *****

43 minutes ago, TGP said:

Now you're digging deep brother.

I only discovered Stearns last December through the The Beacon (one of my favourite moments in Cameron's Titanic edit/mix), and now I'm in love!

20 hours ago, John said:

Chariots of Fire, by Vangelis :music:

Yes, the 80s synth sounds a little dated nowadays, but it's still a wonderful, uplifting score for an inspiring film. "Abraham's Theme" is ethereal.

**** and 1/2 out of *****

It's a truly great score, and it fully deserved its Oscar, but it's a crying shame that there's so much unreleased music. I thought that the DELECTUS box would correct that, but, sadly, no. 

4 hours ago, publicist said:

What's so great about that? Static spheres that do not move and world music.

It's Sharky's bag now! He digs it!

Pops Britannia: A lovely little album of British and British Isles inspired music which of course for a Williams fan has the added allure of the only recording of his Jane Eyre Suite which is terrific.

:music: War of the Worlds by John Williams.

44 minutes ago, Incanus said:

:music: War of the Worlds by John Williams.

I hope LLL team have their eyes on this one. Very underrated score.

Karol

Jurassic World (Recording Session) by Michael Giacchino

Better than the album presentation, it has a great action themes, great use of the old themes, and a really nice collection of new themes (I really like the raptors theme). I hope Giacchino delivers on the sequel and develops all of this themes, and also it would be great if he could create something like the Island Fanfare but for the new trilogy. 

I like the album presentation, but it had felt weird how short it is compared to Williams' JP albums (57 minutes VS 70ish minutes), so I made my own expanded album awhile ago. Didn't feel the need to include every cue, just enough to make the listening experience feel more...fleshed out, I suppose?

I really hope Fallen Kingdom's score is even better. Has every reason to be!

I'm not a huge fan of the Jurassic World OST, but MAN did my opinion of the score improve when we got the session leak!  He really didn't make the best choices of what to include on the OST program on that one.

I'm very much looking forward to the Jurassic World 2 score, it has potential to be pretty epic and fun!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm not a huge fan of the Jurassic World OST, but MAN did my opinion of the score improve when we got the session leak!  He really didn't make the best choices of what to include on the OST program on that one.

I'm very much looking forward to the Jurassic World 2 score, it has potential to be pretty epic and fun!

Seems like you don't like Giacchino scores where he takes over from Williams. Do you think it is because of that or is it because they are actually lacking in themselves?

Karol

I imagine it's because having to follow up Williams only draws more attention to his shortcomings. Not for me, but I understand that's how others feel. Since it barely uses the Williams themes, I just go into it as its own thing.

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Seems like you don't like Giacchino scores where he takes over from Williams. Do you think it is because of that or is it because they are actually lacking in themselves?

Karol

I don't see what Williams has to do with anything. Jurassic World just isnt as good of a score as Tomorrowland or inside Out from the same year, or as good as Spider-man or Star Trek 3 in terms of summer popcorn fair in his recent ouvre.  

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't see what Williams has to do with anything. Jurassic World just isnt as good of a score as Tomorrowland or inside Out from the same year, or as good as Spider-man or Star Trek 3 in terms of summer popcorn fair in his recent ouvre.  

Jurassic World and Rogue One.

Karol

One is a decent effort with solid highs. The other is terribly mediocre on all fronts.

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Jurassic World and Rogue One.

Karol

Yes, I of course understood what you meant, but I still don't see what Williams has to do with liking the score or not.  For one, I didn't even say anything bad about Jurassic World in the post of mine you quoted, just that the OST album wasn't assembled well from all the recorded material.  So why bring up Williams, or Rogue One, at all?  Can't we rate Jurassic World on its own merits?

Rogue One isn't a score I particularly care for, but it's one I find...interesting. Though probably for reactions to it moreso than the music itself. But it's a mess I found intriguing either way. I can only hope Solo won't be similarly messy. 

3 minutes ago, KK said:

One is a decent effort with solid highs. The other is terribly mediocre on all fronts.

Exactly my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, I of course understood what you meant, but I still don't see what Williams has to do with liking the score or not.  For one, I didn't even say anything bad about Jurassic World in the post of mine you quoted, just that the OST album wasn't assembled well from all the recorded material.  So why bring up Williams, or Rogue One, at all?  Can't we rate Jurassic World on its own merits?

Only because I noticed these two are the only ones you seem to be underwhelmed by. So it's quite obvious for me to think that.

10 minutes ago, KK said:

These are my two favourite Giacchino scores actually.

Karol