What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Well, Jurassic World has the problem of the main themes not being that great.  I love the Hoskins theme, and the theme for Owen's raptor squad, and the little silly theme for Owen and Claire.  But the main theme is nothing special, neither is the family theme.  They get the job done, but don't elicit any kind of excitement or interest in me... they are just kind of there.

Contrast that to Star Trek Beyond, which has the great main theme, Spock theme, and Enterprise theme PLUS the AMAZING brand new Five Year Mission / Yorktown theme AND the FANTASTIC Franklin theme (used to great effect in Crash Decisions).. the Jaylay and Krall themes are just icing on the cake on of of all that.

Then Spider-man Homecoming has a strong main theme with three sections that all get explored the entire score, especially in the action material, a Vulture theme that may be simple and derivative of his prirt villain themes but is EXTREMELY effective in the movie doesn't outstay its welcome on album, a nice little love them, and then a bunch of various montage and sneaking around music that really fleshes out the whole score and makes an extremely cohesive and satisfying whole.

But then Doctor Strange and Rogue One and just blah.  Very forgettable themes and action material.  I think he was just burned out.

I liked Book of Henry and War for the POTA for what they are, and I need to give Coco another listen.

I'm really expecting to like Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 a lot!

I was questioning for a moment "Wait, why are we comparing Horner's Search for Spock to Jurass-...oh. Right."

I sincerely forget new Star Trek exists. 

I do pretty much agree though. 

(Current listening)

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I sincerely forget new Star Trek exists. 

Just the films, or the scores too?

Cause the movies are basically just harmless summer popcorn fun, but the scores are great!

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

But then Doctor Strange and Rogue One and just blah.  Very forgettable themes and action material.  I think he was just burned out.

Except Krennic.

I couldn't possibly hum his theme for you right now.  It went in one ear and out the other on every listen leaving no impression.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I couldn't possibly hum his theme for you right now.  It went in one ear and out the other on every listen leaving no impression.

I only listened to the score like 5 times max (and only in early 2017),  and I can easily hum it right now!

...Crud, I forgot about Prince of Egypt.

The Rock has one great chase cue. Haven't heard the other two (yet).

Had a feeling I was wrong either way. Lion King was merely what first came to mind.

Rewatched Back to the Future 2 and noticed two things, score-wise:

1. Devil's Dance/Arkansas Traveler is used during the Biff Tannen Museum documentary. Makes me wonder why they didn't add it on the BTTF2 set.

2. I'm Back has a really awkward/lazy ending. Why repeat that bit? Laziness carries over during end credits.

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

1. Devil's Dance/Arkansas Traveler is used during the Biff Tannen Museum documentary. Makes me wonder why they didn't add it on the BTTF2 set.

Isn't that on the BTTF3 set?

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

2. I'm Back has a really awkward/lazy ending. Why repeat that bit? Laziness carries over during end credits.

Great... scott...

12 hours ago, Sharky said:

Says the man who waxed-poetic over Marty O'Donnell's sphericity.

I don't even know who that is.

Anyways, i spent 1 hour of workout with trippy Morricone. What happened to Solange, i wonder?

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Well, Jurassic World has the problem of the main themes not being that great.  I love the Hoskins theme, and the theme for Owen's raptor squad, and the little silly theme for Owen and Claire.  But the main theme is nothing special, neither is the family theme.  They get the job done, but don't elicit any kind of excitement or interest in me... they are just kind of there.

Contrast that to Star Trek Beyond, which has the great main theme, Spock theme, and Enterprise theme PLUS the AMAZING brand new Five Year Mission / Yorktown theme AND the FANTASTIC Franklin theme (used to great effect in Crash Decisions).. the Jaylay and Krall themes are just icing on the cake on of of all that.

Then Spider-man Homecoming has a strong main theme with three sections that all get explored the entire score, especially in the action material, a Vulture theme that may be simple and derivative of his prirt villain themes but is EXTREMELY effective in the movie doesn't outstay its welcome on album, a nice little love them, and then a bunch of various montage and sneaking around music that really fleshes out the whole score and makes an extremely cohesive and satisfying whole.

Actually it features my favourite action pieces from Giacchino. I generally don't like his brand of action but this one was fine.

As for themes, I like all of them with the exception of Jyn's theme. But even that one seems like a nice subtle reference to some Dies Irae-based underscore in the original SW.

Main theme from JW is lacking too but the underscore is quite good.

Karol

28 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

@kaseykockroachIs Carl Davis the dude who did Corman's Masque of Red Death? You've been listening to a lot of shlock movie music, you'd really like that one! (I wouldn't call the movie schlock though).

Do you mean to tell me David Newman's The Kindred could be considered schlock? :o

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@kaseykockroachIs Carl Davis the dude who did Corman's Masque of Red Death? You've been listening to a lot of shlock movie music, you'd really like that one! (I wouldn't call the movie schlock though).

According to wiki, that's David Lee.

A playlist made of transcriptions and suites... I guess I manage to remove the parts from the Pedroni CD that annoys me.

The sublime Out of Africa (Varèse Sarabande)/Dance With Wolves double punch.

John Barry, you are missed. I think I'l break out the Bonds this week.

Just listened to Randy Edelman's Gettysburg soundtrack. Not only is that film a masterpiece and amazing to watch (so accurate and lovingly reenacted!), but Edelman's score really pulls at the old heart-strings too.

Just breath-taking.