What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Up by Michael Giacchino, again

I've never heard this one until now (saw the film when it was out and don't remember it at all)

I...really, really like this.

In fact, I kind of love it. 

I've never LOVED a Giacchino score until now. (Which is to say, I like Jurassic World, Inside Out and his Apes music)

I had no idea Giacchino could be this good. Even the sound quality/mix is MUCH better than usual for him! 

I'm gonna keep listening to this. I'm sorry. I assume I'm in the minority here. But this is the first Giacchino score I've heard that I really strongly resonate with. 

This just blew me the f*** away. Those organ motifs are incredibly emotive, capturing somehow the essence of the spectral unknown while evoking images of the majestic and downright frightening deep expanse of space. That, or my imagination just plays hell with me sometimes.

Zimmer's finest ever work.

Ivanhoe (the re-recording by Sinfonia of London conducted by Bruce Broughton) by Miklós Rózsa: This is fantastic! I can't believe I haven't listened to this one sooner. A wonderful performance by the Sinfonia of London and a great recording by Mike Ross-Trevor.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

There are no girls in UP !

I see you've forgotten Ellie.

(In seriousness, I wasn't really paying attention to movies at the time. I wasn't a happy teen. Let's just say I don't miss high school)

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

This just blew me f*** away. Those organ motifs are incredibly emotive, capturing somehow the essence of the spectral unknown while evoking images of the majestic and downright frightening deep expanse of space. That, or my imagination just plays hell with me sometimes.

Zimmer's finest ever work.

That's excellent!

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

How the hell do you watch that film and not remember the music? 

I’ve seen many film scored by Gia and not remembered the music after

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Ivanhoe (the re-recording by Sinfonia of London conducted by Bruce Broughton) by Miklós Rózsa: This is fantastic! I can't believe I haven't listened to this one sooner. A wonderful performance by the Sinfonia of London and a great recording by Mike Ross-Trevor.

Too bad it only uses the film version of the opening title, the original version is AMAZING.

Thankfully the Gerhardt has it:

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

:up::up::up::up: :up:

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Yea!

Mark Mancina - Twister

Bloody hell, hadn't listened to this one in a little bit.  Great stuff, eh?  That Walk in the Woods cue is aces!

Gave up on CD releases and ended up buying digital releases for Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - listened to both today.  Guardians 2 has a lot of music that is pretty much the same as the first, although there are a few nicer emotional moments, especially in the last four tracks.  Black Panther is a delight, although some of the quieter moments were hard to catch in my earbuds here at work.

Have Silvestri's Ready Player One in my mailbox, but I'll probably wait to listen to that one until I see the movie, hopefully this weekend.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Gave up on CD releases and ended up buying digital releases for Black Panther

It's actually kind of scary that it's the score release for one of the biggest box office hits of all time, sitting among rarified company with Avatar and Titanic, and they don't even bother with a CD release.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's actually kind of scary that it's the score release for one of the biggest box office hits of all time, sitting among rarified company with Avatar and Titanic, and they don't even bother with a CD release.

Thor Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Ant Man, Civil War, etc all got CD releases.  I think GOTG2/Black Panther has to do with avoiding market confusion re: the coinciding pop releases.   If I recall correctly, the score for GOTG1 was only available on CD in the deluxe bundle with the Awesome Mix.

Ivanhoe by Miklós Rózsa

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

Sleepers by John Williams

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Alex North: Subtle yet thoroughly impressive.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Which version?

Karol

The Goldsmith/National Philharmonic version.

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith: Jerrald sure knew his stuff when it comes to driving intense action and tension building through music. The newly performed synthesizers add a weird but appropriate layer of sound to the whole affair but the grim angular rhythms and doom-laden main theme keep this score on the road through some rough and violent musical terrain, exemplified by the buzzing and snarling setpiece Don't Bug Me. A great companion to the similarly styled Capricorn One.

:music: Minority Report by John Williams

19 hours ago, mstrox said:

Thor Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Ant Man, Civil War, etc all got CD releases.  I think GOTG2/Black Panther has to do with avoiding market confusion re: the coinciding pop releases.   If I recall correctly, the score for GOTG1 was only available on CD in the deluxe bundle with the Awesome Mix.

You know what? I was this close to posting yesterday that Panther will probably get a vinyl release and never a CD.  I wish I had, I'd have looked like a seer.

https://www.soundtrack.net/album/black-panther-score-vinyl-edition/

And it's a shortened tracklist to fit on one disc!  Which is not a terrible thing actually, I like the OST a lot but it's definitely too long as a listening experience.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith: Jerrald sure knew his stuff when it comes to driving intense action and tension building through music. The newly performed synthesizers add a weird but appropriate layer of sound to the whole affair but the grim angular rhythms and doom-laden main theme keep this score on the road through some rough and violent musical terrain, exemplified by the buzzing and snarling setpiece Don't Bug Me. A great companion to the similarly styled Capricorn One.

:music: Minority Report by John Williams

Inky, it goes without saying that MINORITY REPORT is brilliant, but I'm afraid I've never seen, nor heard DAMNATION ALLEY. I get the CAPRICORN ONE analogy, but is it anything like the militaristic TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING?

51 minutes ago, Richard said:

Inky, it goes without saying that MINORITY REPORT is brilliant, but I'm afraid I've never seen, nor heard DAMNATION ALLEY. I get the CAPRICORN ONE analogy, but is it anything like the militaristic TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING?

I think it is quite a bit in the same vein.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Karol

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

SOOOOOOOO good

Alan Silvestri - The Avengers

Wanted to remind myself of what his first Avengers score sounded like because I hadn't listened to it in a while.  I liked it more than I had in the past, probably because I've gotten quite used his his main theme in the years since.  The digital OST album is shorter than the physical CD and was a great length that didn't outstay its welcome.  Highlight tracks: Tunnel Chase, Helicarrier, Assault, Assemble , I Got A Ride, The Avengers.

John Williams - The Last Jedi

First time listening to the OST program in a while.  At first I was kinda up in my head about what music the OST album was skipping past, but quickly I got into his album presentation and really just enjoyed the whole thing.  Really good score here with a good ending (end of the end credits).  Can't wait for IX.

Lena Raine - Celeste

Best score of 2018 still!

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI

Good stuff, main theme is great and much of the incidental music too, but every track isn't a winner like with FFIV.  The album is too long and outstays its welcome a bit, too :(