What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Your second paragraph is 100% my own view on the score. 

TFA and TLJ just sound...tired and half-hearted to me. I've tried to listen to TFA nearly a dozen times since it came out, and it just fades out as background noise, only getting my attention back any time Rey's theme returns (I also like March of the Resistance). Even the action music just feels energetic in an artificial way. There's little energy or emotion...it's just there. I'm not left with any impression of musical storytelling, but John Williams just being here out of obligation with not much to express.

This obviously doesn't apply to every person who loves the new J.W Star Wars scores (nor am I referring to anyone in particular on this forum), but I often get the impression we're pressuring ourselves to worship and obsessively analyze everything Williams does for the franchise, in fear of criticizing the work leading to taking it for granted. 

Have wanted to get this off my chest, and I really don't want to ruffle any feathers here...I don't mind the love these scores get, I'm just continuously disappointed I haven't been able to join in. I do, however, resent the mantra that "John Williams phoning it in is better than anything else nowadays!". I'm sorry, but no. 

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams by John Williams: Simpy wonderful, one of the best if not the best chamber sized adaptations of Maestro's music.

Providence by Miklós Rózsa: Autumnal is the best word to describe this. At times pensive and beautifully melancholic and at times harsh but always indelibly Rózsa. The 2013 release features the entire score but for contractual reasons they had to retain the original soundtrack album so all of the unreleased material placed at the end of the disc which is bit of an unfortunate choice. Also the masters of this material are far from pristine but despite this the quality of the music shines through. To my ears more recently attuned to the sword and sandal epics of the maestro this score is a breath of fresh air.

Super 8 by Michael Giacchino: Just like the film this seems to be an homage to the Spielberg/Williams collaborations of 1980's and the very lengthy album/score seems to be constructed in that vein in style and thematic ideas, starting quietly and in very shorts snippets before steadily building toward the grand finale of Letting Go. While the album might be a tad long and you could easily whittle it down to a satisfying 45 minute listening experience I have to say the way Gia builds this one is far more satisfying than his current blockbuster output.

To help get my previous post out of sight all the sooner, today at work I listened to...

Orca by Ennio Morricone

Jaws 3D by Alan Parker

Dawn of the Dinosaurs by John Powell

Rambo: First Blood Part II by Jerry Goldsmith

45 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Providence by Miklós Rózsa: Autumnal is the best word to describe this. At times pensive and beautifully melancholic and at times harsh but always indelibly Rózsa. The 2013 release features the entire score but for contractual reasons they had to retain the original soundtrack album so the of the unreleased material is all  placed at the end of the disc which is bit of an unfortunate choice. Also the masters of this material are far from pristine but despite this the quality of the music shines through. To my ears more recently attuned to the sword and sandal epics of the maestro this score is a breath of fresh air.

It's a strange but beguiling film (John Gielgud's always good) about a dying writer and Rózsa's from-another-time touch gives it the right push into a twilight world between reality and delirium. It's probably the best application of late Rózsa to a more modern era of cinema (Rózsa wistfully remembered how Resnais gave him a call to ask him respectfully if he might drop a certain cue, remarking that such gentlemanly behaviour was anathema during his Hollywood heydays).

Jumanji by Henry Jackman this morning. It's pretty ok, there are some good, standout cues (The Jumanji Overture, The Power of Bravestone). Much better score than Rampage by  Lockington (one of the bigger disappointments for me in recent scores) which I compare it to because they're both dumb action movies I haven't seen.

The Agony & The Ecstacy: One of the supreme 'intelligent' epic scores by Alex North - for a stoic portrait of Michelangelo's struggle to create his massive Sistine Chapel painting, with Charlton Heston fighting it out with Rex Harrison's Pope Julius II - this one with its warm renaissance with strings-approach is more accessible than his other epics (Cleopatra, Spartacus) and has a yearning, inspirational quality depicting the artist's struggles with 'divine' creation. It may not be North's most famous, but it's probably one of his Top Three beauts. The Goldsmith re-recording has a bit of a more distant sound (linked below), but its probably the more accessible reading, ironically sans Goldsmith's own 13-minute composition for a montage of famous renaissance painters, which is included on the Varése Club linked above.

It's a wonderful wonderful score and one of my personal favourites. Wish I could find a decently priced disc of the original recording...

Karol

I still help myself to Spotify (apart from the 30 minutes from the Goldsmith recording i own since 1997). Btw, did you ever recognize the tip of the hat in Star Trek V's god theme to the divine creation music, i. e. The Sistine Chapel' at 02:45? Goldsmith quite clearly modeled his bridge after that.

:music:The Rendezvous by Austin Wintory. One of the most overlooked scores of the past year, and also one of the finest. Elegant and nuanced music all the way through.

Karol

Infinity War - Alan Silvestri: Too much drama, especially at the beginning.

Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri: Many exotic moments.

Orca - Ennio Morricone: Melancholic and elegant. One classic. I love the theme for the Orca, a gesture of Morricone's sensitivity to that murderess.

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Winter Soldier. I. HATE. OSTINATOS.

The Raider's March

The Imperial March

Hyperspace

Duel of the Fates

The Quidditch Match

Ludlow's Demise

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah but not those... Zimmer ostinatos? I mean, the thing that plagues so many scores composed today and is used in nearly all of our documentaries?

Don't blame ostinatos for what Zimmer does with them. ;)

Zimmer's broken chord i-VI idea has been a little bit more proliferated than Powell's phygrian Bourne lick, I think probably because the former by nature of its simplicity is more open to use to in a variety of contexts. It's less specific. That's not say the Bourne riff hasn't been milked to death throughout action/espionage scores of the 00s (I'm looking at you, JNH).

36 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Rio and Rio 2 by John Powell

Those scores go splendidly with the songs, especially the second one (I love the Beautiful Creatures cover).

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have't listened to any film music that wasn't the Star Wars remasters in a while.  I need to listen to something else!

I recommend John Barry's The Living Daylights.   Clears the mind after the listening demands of the OT scores.

I only ever listen to my chronological playlist for that.  It's a fantastic listen from start to finish.

It's annoying how they put all those cues just as bonus tracks when it's a better listen in the right order.

I'm sure it is, and I'll have to do that sometime.  The other week I just listened to the physical Rykodisc in my car

Thor: Ragnarok (Personal Expanded Edit) - Mark Mothersbaugh

Knights of the Round Table - Miklos Rozsa.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Core by Christopher Young. It's a shame this still isn't truly complete.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Count of Monte Cristo by Edward Shearmur.

Two excellent scores.

I'm currently on my first listen of:

il_gattopardo_600.jpg

The Rocketeer (Intrada) - James Horner

If I said that this score strikes me as the most "Goldsmithian" that Horner ever wrote, would anyone else kinda see what I mean?

Hmm, interesting observation, I'm not sure what you mean though. All the flying music is pure Horner. 

Not necessarily the melody, which I agree is pure Horner, more like how he saturates the score in that theme in a very Goldsmith way.  I dunno.  Just a thought that entered my head.

Do you mean like 7 times out of ten, the Main Theme is used, as opposed to the other 3 where it is another theme?