What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

He’s probably referring to the end of “The Departure,” which sounds like the CEOT3K theme but it’s actually just a statement of the Crystal Skull theme, taken from it’s spooky context and transformed into a rousing fanfare. It’s not a Close Encounters nod, if that’s when he means

8 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

He’s probably referring to the end of “The Departure,” which sounds like the CEOT3K theme but it’s actually just a statement of the Crystal Skull theme, taken from it’s spooky context and transformed into a rousing fanfare. It’s not a Close Encounters nod, if that’s when he means

Are you confusing ID4 with IJ4?

Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek First Contact (expanded)- that theme never fails to stir. Also love the music that accompanies the escape pods being jettisoned. 

A return to Nelson Riddle's Batman '66 The Movie score -I had to buy a new copy and it seemed only fair to go back through it. Back to the time when Batman did his stuff to Nelson Riddle's score. Imagine Michael Keaton's Batman doing that. 

After having the theme in my head after not listening in ages- Star Trek Generations (expanded). It's okay but I cherry picked tracks for the re-listen- including that for the evacuation of the ENT-D and crash. I wish Goldsmith had done the score with respect to McCarthy- what with the mix of original Trek (Kirk Scotty and Chekov) and TNG it might've been a rollicking score. 

Battlestar Galactica The Living Legend & The War of the Gods, Stu Phillips

...some believe that even now, there are brothers of Man, fighting to survive...somewhere beyond the heavens...

This score has been haunting me lately. The majority of its listening is cold and eerie, with little moments of serenity....then for its last three cues, decides it's had enough and now it's time to scare the ever loving shit out of you (jump scare warning. It sure as heck got me).

I'm a young'un, so I fortunately missed out on that era. 

There's indeed a surprising amount of delicious treats to be discovered within the last decade and a half of Goldsmith's career/life. With the lesser potboilers/autopilot works, it doesn't bother me as I don't think anyone would be interested in giving Executive Decision an Oscar-winning score.

I've heard them all from his last ten years. There's not one dud among them. Just some are more accessible than others, meaning you probably won't be making a routine grab for Fierce Creatures or The Last Castle.

Hero - Tan Dun

A nice, solid score that is better than most film music, but it is nothing that special. 

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - John Williams

A good score this one too, but it is nothing special. The weakest Potter score by Williams. Despite some standout tracks/material, this is not by any means among Williams's stronger scores.

2 minutes ago, Margo Channing said:

I've heard them all from his last ten years. There's not one dud among them. Just some are more accessible than others, meaning you probably won't be making a routine grab for Fierce Creatures or The Last Castle.

I will always remain disappointed Along Came a Spider isn't Goldsmith scoring a giant spider rampage. 

Ah well. Deep Rising is yummy!

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I will always remain disappointed Along Came a Spider isn't Goldsmith scoring a giant spider rampage. 

Ah well. Deep Rising is yummy!

Along Came a Spider was another one where everyone was like "Errrr! Why doesn't he retire? Film music is goin' down, man!" - but when I got to hear it, I thought there were some really stand-out suspense and action tracks. The thriller genre was lucky to have him when it did.

Agreed, but as a teenager who didn't bother to research things in advance, I heard the film's title and that Goldsmith scored it and giddily thought "YES! I NEED to hear Goldsmith scoring a giant arachnid feasting upon unsuspecting townsfolk!!". Then I rented the movie and was quite disgruntled. 

I was an idiot in high school. Even moreso than I am now.

It's indeed funny that's how everyone was back then, considering how much they eat up every new superhero/Star Wars score that comes out these days.

Yep, that's my favorite John Ottman score!...er, which is to say, the only one of his I really like. It's a Gremlins imitation, yeah, but a flattering one (the movie it's contributing to is a painfully self-conscious Joe Dante ripoff). Lake Placid's another good one, though I don't recall finding it as engaging separated from the film.

:music: Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend by Jerry Goldsmith. Somewhere between Legend, Rambo: First Blood Part II and the The Ghost and the Darkness. An interesting combination, to be sure! Sounds fantastic too. Shawn Murphy used to be good. To answer your question from earlier this week, @Incanus, yeah absolutely get this. You'll love it.

Karol

Horton Hears a Who by John Powell: Really variated score, full of joy and energy. And despite it does not have a recognizable main theme as other Powell scores, it has lot of great short moments that make this album go fast. One thing I really like about the album presentation is how many cues flow into each other like one big cue.

Mars Needs Moms by John Powell: Great score, a really big surprise as I haven't heard from it and it surprised me. It's full of great action cues, also some emotional cues with a main theme that appears a lot but it's very developed so it does not get boring (BTW, it reminds me a bit of one of the Dragon's themes). I also love the use of that "martian" sound that sounds like a homage to Elfman's Mars Attack!

Ferdinand by John Powell: I don't know why I hadn't listened to this until now, but I liked it a lot. This reminds me a bit of Giacchino's Coco in the sense that it's heavily influenced by spanish and latin sounds, with the use of guitars. But while that one was closer to the festive side, this one stays more in the quieter emotional parts. Which does not mean that Powell can't go full on orchestral action mode when he needs to, like in the fantastic track, Madrid Finale.

Isabel by Federico Jusid: This is the first one I listen of Jusid, and it is really impressive. It's the soundtrack to a TV series and here you only have some of the main themes that appear in the show, but within the series you can really hear all the work he did, with all the different themes interplayed with each other, and with different moods depending on the scene. Tha main theme is simply gorgeous.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Final Conflict by Jerry Goldsmith

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith

Krampus by Douglas Pipes

Sinister by Christopher Young

An Unfinished Life by Christopher Young

So what did you think of Sinister? I was of course disappointed that the album bears little to no resemblance to the film score, which supposedly contains a fair bit of material Young never composed.

The oboe concertos by Bach (CCO, Hommel), I just don't remember for which movie it was composed... :sarcasm:

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bach: A Life in Music

Starring Christian Bale

I think they will never do a movie about Bach's life, it's so dull!

EDIT : Actually there are some "TV" movies about Bach, and they are dull.

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think they will never do a movie about Bach's life, it's so dull!

EDIT : Actually there are some "TV" movies about Bach, and they are dull.

It depends on the angle. They should make it a heist movie!

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It depends on the angle. They should make it a heist movie!

I know the angle. Bach's life should be tell by the eyes of one of his choir boys.

Any studio wants to buy that idea?

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I know the angle. Bach's life should be tell by the eyes of one of his choir boys.

Any studio wants to buy that idea?

The Weinstein Company? They can get Besson to direct.

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

So what did you think of Sinister? I was of course disappointed that the album bears little to no resemblance to the film score, which supposedly contains a fair bit of material Young never composed.

Haven't seen the film (yet), but the album was a morbidly fascinating listen.

That's rare for me.... don't know why.. maybe it was released at a time I didn't have time to properly listen to it.

Harry Potter & The Prisonner of Azkaban :music:

Love this one to bloody bits, a highly-ranked Horner favorite for me, but always thought the complete score album ran way too long (this really doesn't need a 70-minute runtime).

Amidst transferring it, I realized I could now rearrange and edit it down to a perfectly paced 49-minute listening experience. I'm sure it misses a beloved cue, but I loved how it played out anyway. Balanced perfectly between those exhilarating action highlights and eerie tension-building pieces!  Gosh, I'm rather brilliant. They should hire me to arrange perfect OSTs!

IMG_4719.PNG

Mouse Hunt (Silvestri) - Pure, gleeful fun.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Sessions) (Zimmer) - I honestly have no idea how the album was botched so horribly, because this is a 10/10 score as written.  The new Moriarty material is absolutely perfect, Zimmer completely nailed the Romani music, and Diego Stocco's "Experibass" contributions are absolutely wild.

Titanic (La-La Land Release) (Horner) - Maybe I'm going soft, but this one has actually started to grow on me.  I still don't care for a lot of the synth use, but it doesn't completely turn me off the way it used to.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:34 AM, kaseykockroach said:

This score has been haunting me lately. The majority of its listening is cold and eerie, with little moments of serenity....then for its last three cues, decides it's had enough and now it's time to scare the ever loving shit out of you (jump scare warning. It sure as heck got me).

That's a really neat piece.  Funnily enough, if not for the piano ostinato, I might guess it was from a Howard Shore score I hadn't heard.

The Red Pony - Jerry Goldsmith

This was a pretty major disappointment, no where close to his best from this era.  Of course it has Jerry's perfectly considered orchestrations and the production is excellent.  But it all just seems to lack focus, it's quite a boring listen.  It's mostly just setting a nice Americana mood without ever standing out.

If I want to listen to Goldsmith in his sentimental Americana mode I'm still reaching for Rudy or Stagecoach or heck the main title from First Contact will do, but not The Red Pony.  Glad I bought it deeply discounted.  It's certainly far, far behind Copland's masterpiece score for the 40s Red Pony.

Maybe I'm being harsh because this is such a "home" genre for me, a sound I have special affection for.

Black Christmas -- Shirley Walker

It's a shame this ended up being her last film. A little bit of Final Destination style dissonance but nothing really special -- mainly suspense cues and jump scare chords. She sprinkled in some nods to Chrismas, stylistically, but nothing standout apart from "End Credits". The lack of live orchestra is also a slap in the face. Walker's other Christmas-themed score, Turbulence, is much better.