What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

It's increasingly nerve-wracking how often I've been told I have a dad's sense of humor, even though I myself am not a father.

It's a sign you'll be the perfect father. You're already outdated. :lol:

On 5/18/2018 at 2:02 PM, Disco Stu said:

Real up-and-coming talented composer Christopher Willis has a fantastic showcase in this new silent, all-music Mickey Mouse cartoon.

Here is an interview with Christopher Willis about writing the music for this animated short

Bear McCreary - God Of War

Had to listen to this one again right away, since my first lesson was so favorable.  Bloody hell, there's a lot of good stuff here!  I love the use of choir (some LOTR-esque moments) and the pounding percussion.  The OST is long, and a lot ot take in, but there's a lot of good stuff here.  The 2nd great score of the year after Celeste

John Powell - Solo: A Star Wars Story

SUPER FUN SCORE full of adventurous and exciting action music.  My only problem is the OST album is SO action-heavy, it's somewhat of an exhausting listen.  A complete score release with some of the "in between" scoring to balance things out would be most welcome.

Theodore Shapiro & Craig Wedren - Wet Hot American Summer

Holy cow I somehow just found out this week that this 2001 film finally got a score album in 2016!  I had no idea, and boy does it bring back memories to listen to it (I've seen the film over 10 times), and there's some surprises to be found too (unused music I suppose).  Only worth checking out if you love the film, but if you do, you'll probably really enjoy this.

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Woah. The OST album has finally arrived after only having gamerips for 6 months.... there's differences to be found!  Some lusher orchestration, some proper endings when the gamerip only looped and faded (and some fade endings when the gamerip had a real ending?)  Going to take a while to get used to the differences, as well as the new track order.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

some fade endings when the gamerip had a real ending?

Possibly those endings are some sort of fanfare for something ingame that was tacked on?

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I would take Chicken in the Pot and put it as the last track, but other than that adjustment, this score was everything I had hoped for and then some.

Its placement in the album presentation is likely in the order that the cue appears in the film, though.

2 minutes ago, Fal said:

Possibly those endings are some sort of fanfare for something ingame that was tacked on?

Nah, a gamerip would have different music stored in different files.  It's a mystery requiring further examination.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Nah, a gamerip would have different music stored in different files.

Depends on if it was a straight gamerip, or an edited gamerip, ala !!!!!'s rips of Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild

4 minutes ago, John said:

Its placement in the album presentation is likely in the order that the cue appears in the film, though.

I figured as much. It's a hilarious cue indeed, just the kind of thing best saved for a bonus at the end after Powell's told his story.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I figured as much. It's a hilarious cue indeed, just the kind of thing best saved for a bonus at the end after Powell's told his story.

So, he skipped chapter 6 and told it after the Epilogue?

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I do. I use it to listen to stuff I won't be buying or stuff I'm about to buy.

Karol

Ah, I missed the "high-res" before "download".

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I guess that saves me the trouble of having to transfer the CD! That work's already done! 

I hope the CD comes with cool liner notes!

(And no, I don't have Spotify)

You really should check out Spotify if you haven't. It's awesome!

I hope the CD comes with a mini-poster... :sarcasm:

:music: God of War by Bear McCreary. If Game of Thrones scores were any good they would probably sound something like this. McCreary would have been perfect for this show. While this type of fantasy score isn't particularly my cup of tea it is very well executed.

Karol

All of McCreary’s TV scores walk circles around Djawadi.  Except that darn “Light of the Seven” cue.  He didn’t write anything close to that good for last season though :( 

What I'm baffled by is his schedule. Part of me thinks there is absolutely no way that he's tackling all those projects solo.

Karol

On 4/3/2017 at 9:22 AM, Disco Stu said:

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Danny Elfman

The greatest comedy film score ever? Yes! 

I listened to this today and I think this great JWFan member is so right, he must be an intelligent, perceptive man of very good taste.

I also listened to Rabbit & Rogue, reminding myself that it's easily my favorite music he's released in years.  Listening to these two albums together put into focus why: one of the original reasons I fell in love Elfman's music is the wonderful sense of humor he brought to scores.  Even in his darkest early scores, they always seemed to be written with a big smile on his face.  I feel that same joie de vivre with Rabbit & Rogue.

Rabbit and Rogue was a surprise, to be sure. But, a welcome one. After years of forgettable pap from Elfman, he finally delivered something to confirm he was still alive. He's in there, somewhere. Get a medical capsule, immediately.

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

What I'm baffled by is his schedule. Part of me thinks there is absolutely no way that he's tackling all those projects solo.

Who said he does? It's known that he employs a huge team (which is more or less true for any working composer today).

One of 2014's (and Howard's) best, chiefly for the reason that - for a comparably large amount of its running time -  it eschews sounding like a modern blockbuster scoreTM. While still firmly anchored in that Disneyfied idiom of bright glockenspiels and sweet choruses, Howard manages at least one brilliant set piece - 'Maleficent Flies', linked above - and generally a strong thematic score built on a wonderfully simple-yet-evocative 'destiny' motif for Maleficent's arc that can afford to wander languorously or leaping upwards heroically. You may call it deceptively simple.

The score is somewhat uneven (thank you, blockbuster movie) in juggling the fairy-tale, folksy moments (basically the first quarter leading up to the first horrendous CGI/LOTR recall in 'Battle of the Moors') with the heavy dramatics that resort to the kind of sledgehammer writing used to cut through a wall of deafening sound effects (too much of what comes thereafter). The tranquil, peaceful tone Howard establishes for the quieter parts is defeated by this and the last 'big' action cue ('Maleficent is Captured') for a fight to the death with her childhood sweetheart who betrayed her, cutting her fairy wings, that should milk the tragic underpinnings of lost love and trust, just hammers away like a mad percussion drill. It's indeed a shame they composer couldn't cash in on the promise of the Grimm-ian beginning here.

But leaving that aside, 'Maleficent' still registers as strong work heavy on all kinds of motivic ornamentation so absent even in this kind of fare nowadays. As is his custom, Howard presents a suite at the beginning that gives the spotlight to a succession of ideas only used briefly in the movie (mainly for a scene where Maleficent casts a spell) that is expanded to dramatic heights and might be an indication where Howard's loyalty really lies (see also: overture to 'The Last Airbender').

Michael Collins by Elliot Goldenthal: Why isn't Goldenthal scoring more movies? I miss his brand of spot on grandiose and visceral dramatism.

Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gregson-Williams: Surely one of Gregson-Williams' best works. The choral work throughout is particularly noteworthy and impressive.