What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

21 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Haven't seen it, are you saying it's entertaining, then?

Honestly I have no idea.  It's only my favorite because it was randomly the one we owned on VHS.  I watched the second one probably 2 dozen times as a kid before I ever saw the original.  Seemed normal at the time.

I haven't gone back and rewatched Ghostbusters 2 as an adult (like I have with the first one), but as a kid I always liked the both the same.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

What a cunt.

I meant it as a compliment, as it's the funniest line in HOT FUZZ.

2 hours ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Ghostbusters II...the first time I saw Titanic

RAISE THE TITANIC, for me, in 1980, and at the cinema, I'll have y'all know.

Baby's Day Out by Bruce Broughton (took the 80 minute score and edited it down to a 49-minute presentation)

The Rescue by Bruce Broughton

The Last Starfighter by Craig Safan

Homeward Bound by Bruce Broughton

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

Angela's Ashes - John Williams

This has grown on me, it is top 30 Williams material. Back to America is one of his finest Americana tracks.

It's his best.

Oscar and Lucinda - Thomas Newman

One of his very best scores - top 10 Newman material for sure. At its best, this is some of the finest film music of all time - it is quite hard to beat a track like The Church of Glass, not too many tracks in film music history are superior.

Angels in America remains the first Newman score I would recommend to anyone not familiar with Newman's work, but Oscar and Lucinda wouldn't be that far behind.

3 hours ago, Lewya said:

Angela's Ashes - John Williams

This has grown on me, it is top 30 Williams material. Back to America is one of his finest Americana tracks.

I remember discovering "Back to America" a year after listening to the rest of the score (for whatever reason, it wasn't included in the album I downloaded).  It's at such a stark contrast with the rest of the score.  I still see it as a "bonus happy ending" of sorts.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I remember discovering "Back to America" a year after listening to the rest of the score (for whatever reason, it wasn't included in the album I downloaded).  It's at such a stark contrast with the rest of the score.  I still see it as a "bonus happy ending" of sorts.

Well the rather poor, sad and dreary childhood of Frank McCourt finally comes to an end when he in the end books a passage to America so it is entirely appropriate, the first glimmer of true hope in his life. It is supposed to have that emotional lift which Johnny delivers in spades.

My personal favourite John Williams score.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams

One of his absolute finest scores, a contender for his best ever I say, even if Close Encounters of the Third Kind might beat it. I am also really fond of Memoirs of a Geisha. Damn, I could mention a few more contenders for his best. I was never a big fan of some of the big ones like say Harry Potter (the third one is by far the best though), Jaws (it may be a great film score, but it isn't at all the best music Williams has written), Superman etc even if it is still respectable film music.

American Beauty - Thomas Newman

Another top notch score and a top 5 Newman score. At its best, this is some of the best film music of all time. American Beauty is the best track from this score.

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

American Beauty - Thomas Newman

Another top notch score and a top 5 Newman score. At its best, this is some of the best film music of all time. American Beauty is the best track from this score.

:thumbup:

Lalo Schifrin - Cartes de Argentina

In the late 90's, Schifrin did the score for the Carlos Saura film Tango, which became the inspiration for this chamber suite, recorded in 2005. While there's a detectable influence from Astor Piazzolla (Schfrin played piano with him at one point), this is a Lalo Schifrin work through and through. Schifrin's intense compositional focus and musical sense of drama often overpowers many of the films I've seen with his contributions, but his strengths really shine in standalone works such as this. The album goes through a variety of moods and sub-genres of his native Argentina's music, and the result is a very satisfying album chock-full of emotional contours ranging from relaxed lounging to intense thunderstorms of angry playing. Through all of this, though, the whole suite remains very cohesive, and impressively sustains the moods it creates as proficiently as it slides through them. Schifrin skillfully utilizes the various instruments in the ensemble--piano, bandoneon, bass, clarinet, violin, and percussion--giving them all plenty to do, while masterfully carving out grooves for certain instruments to shine at various times throughout each piece. 

Highly recommended! I wish this dude did more.

(Apologies to non-US JWFans)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture LLL (the Score part)

Great score.

First evaluation listen through. It has moved a bit from "should probably get this" towards "an absolute must", have to see the extra material for more.

4 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

I mostly just listen to the OST part on Disc 2, which sounds better than the 1986 CD. The full score, as great as it is, can be a slog at times.

Sort of a "Album's too short, complete score's too long, so I made my own album years ago" case for myself. 

Been reading a book on Robert F. Kennedy and what with other stuff, sought out selected tracks from Williams' JFK. Something about the theme that just stirs time after time. I find it's one of those scores that to me can become quite separate from the movie it has been done for. Motorcade for example -that gradual build and frantic use of the theme conjuring images of the actual motorcade and the shots ringing out as opposed to Costner's narration/delivery. Or Arlington -hopes lost, dashed. 

Worthy mention to the JFK Suite that's on YouTube, in Japan I think, conducted by JW himself. 

Marc Shaiman - City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold

One of my favorite 90s scores.  Would love specialty label editions of both scores!

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

Woah!  I hadn't listened to this in a while.  I forgot how much I loved it!  I wish it was chronological, though, and that we knew what all the unused music on the album was intended for.  Some day the sessions will leak, some day...

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

My second listen.  Still super fun!  I noticed one track that MUST have been temp-tracked with Now You See Me (Sealing The Exits)

Jerry Goldsmith - Small Soldiers (Complete)

Time to retire the bootleg!