What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Lacking Horner, with a few points of interest. While the elegiac 'Braveheart' approach by this point had capsized into self-parody, there is also more raw action music crossing Shostakovich and Britten (what else?) that is a bit more unusual for the composer at this point. It's not a really happy marriage - the thematic material remains rather vague and a bit limp - but the pure action parts deliver. Best cues are Taking the Beachhead, Marine Assault, Friends In War and A Sacrifice Never Forgotten. OK.

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

The Last Starfighter by Craig Safan

Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith

And tomorrow, driving to Fallen Kingdom I'll be listening to...

Land Before Time by James Horner :music:

THE LAST STARFIGHTER is a lovely score.

Tried to give Hubris a full listen through, but I couldn't do it.

I liked The Prize is Still Mine well enough, but I just can't stand the solo operatic vibrato. I have nothing negative or "meh" to say about the melodies, the quality of the writing or the talents of the performers, but the driving force, the main deal is just really, really not my world.

The only piece where I tolerate that way of solo singing well enough is in An die Freude, and that's a peppy march in the middle, not giving the guy many opportunities to hold a syllable and vibrate the note.

6 hours ago, Margo Channing said:

The old Southern Cross release of TLSF has unbelievable dynamic range.

Jerry, you're not wrong.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's ok

Ejit.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

And your faith in your friends in yours!

You know what hubris leads to, don't you? Nemesis!

The Lion King - Hans Zimmer.  What ever happened to this Zimmer?  Good action writing, stirring melodies, nice textures.  A very good score, probably his career highlight, Interstellar notwithstanding.

Legends Of The Fall - James Horner  Peak Horner.  Sure, he's doing Barry, but he's doing it extremely well.  Am in love with this score right now.  Not a dull moment to be found.  Glorious, really.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Tried to give Hubris a full listen through, but I couldn't do it.

I liked The Prize is Still Mine well enough, but I just can't stand the solo operatic vibrato. I have nothing negative or "meh" to say about the melodies, the quality of the writing or the talents of the performers, but the driving force, the main deal is just really, really not my world.

The only piece where I tolerate that way of solo singing well enough is in An die Freude, and that's a peppy march in the middle, not giving the guy many opportunities to hold a syllable and vibrate the note.

tenor (5).gif

Karol

3 hours ago, Holko said:

I have nothing negative or "meh" to say about the melodies, the quality of the writing or the talents of the performers, but the driving force, the main deal [the solo operatic vibrato I just can't stand] is just not my world.

I don't see how I could have tried any harder not to put down this obviously beloved work just because of my stupid personal preference regarding this one tiny thing which breaks a whole popular genre for me.

45 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't see how I could have tried any harder not to put down this obviously beloved work just because of my stupid personal preference regarding this one tiny thing which breaks a whole popular genre for me.

"I'm so sorry about me flooding this revered thread with my ill-informed and wrong opinions and particularly disgusting display of poor taste" would suffice. ;)

Nah, there's nothing one can do if you just don't like something. I don't particularly like Hook or E.T., for example.

Karol

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Come on guys!  Let's run him out on a rail!!!!

I can see where he's coming from with Hook, even though I like many things about it.  E.T is a "shrine score", meaning that I respect and love it but never listen to (in other words, it's no The Patriot)

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Hook's great once you take the songs out!

Once you take the orchestra and chorus out!

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Once you take the orchestra and chorus out!

Karol

Sacrilege!

Seriously, I can understand about Hook.  The Symphonic Suite is where its at.  E.T., though, that's another matter.  I'm in awe of that score.

18 minutes ago, Batman's Diet Coke said:

They're really not worthy Williams scores. Best stick with KOTCS, The Missouri Breaks and Cinderella Liberty.

Indeed loving one score automatically excludes possibility of liking the other here at JWFan.

The E.T. OST, on the other hand is filled with waaay too many arrangements of the Flying Theme for a 40-minute presentation. The whole point of that is how the whole score and many motifs are building up to it for quite a time until you hear it in full, by which time it'll sound familiar, even if heard for the first time. This is coming from someone who listened to the OST for the first time on the LLL expansion, and likes it very much.

Outlander Season 1 (Both Volumes) by Bear McCreary: Beautiful music. I love how McCreary introduces the celtic-scottish elements such as the bagpipe, the fiddle or the penny whistle and makes them play classic folk songs in many of the tracks. The Skye Boat song is actually really nice for a song inside a score. But my favorite theme is the one that appears in Dance of the Druids, and later in more tracks. It's such a beautiful theme, full of mysticism and magic that I love it so much.

Nocturnal Animals by Abel Korzeniowski: Lovely score. the main theme in Wayward Sisters is fantastic. And altough there are a lot of trcks more based on the mood than in themes and melody, I find it hypnotic and captivating.

Romeo & Juliet by Abel Korzeniowski: I think this might be his best score. I love how he uses the orchestra (well, mainly strings and some winds) together with a female voice to creat that sense of beauty and emotion. And I think the album presentation is perfect because of how well the tracks flow from one to the other.

Any recommendations for more music like this?

BTW, I agree with the thing about ET. The comple score is a bit too long. I prefer to listen to a more compact version, of no more than 50 minutes or so. I feel it's a better listening experience.

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Listening to Land Before Time today.
If all other Horner scores were being destroyed in a bonfire and I could only save one, it'd be this one.

I'd put out the fire!

John Williams - The Empire Strikes Back (OST, 2018 Remastering)

Some thinks it sounds better in a car than listening to it with headphones, okay I'll give it a try in my old Y-Wing Fighter.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Y wing fighter »

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

JW's Jane Eyre. My... God. I demand an LSO re-recording of that suite. Restoration is so good.

Yes the old BPO recording on Philips. Needs a good compression job, it was recorded so low, I can't barely heard the lower parts when I listen to it on my mp3 player.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Yes the old BPO recording on Philips. Needs a good compression job, it was recorded so low, I can't barely heard the lower parts when I listen to it on my mp3 player.

Normalise it?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Not a fan of dynamic range?

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Everytime I listen to this I discover more and more greatness

John Williams - The Cowboys (Deluxe Edition)

So many themes playing off each other so frequently!

James Horner - The Rocketeer (Intrada)

Second listen this week. LOVE IT!!

Michael Kamen - Die Hard 3 (LLL)

Awesome!  I gotta make a nice shorter album cut down off this massive score

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

Third listen.  Fun score!

The Rocketeer

The Four Feathers

The Land Before Time

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

Sneakers

Three years today... :(