What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Psychonauts by Peter McConnell

Sly 2: Band of Thieves by Peter McConnell

Nice, he's one of the better American game composers out there, for sure! What made you check these out?

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Nice, he's one of the better American game composers out there, for sure! What made you check these out?

Oh, I've just never thought to mention them until now! I've been a fan of Sly Cooper forever. Psychonauts is a classic too. 

31 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Oh, I've just never thought to mention them until now! I've been a fan of Sly Cooper forever. Psychonauts is a classic too. 

I can agree with that! He's someone who can incorporate many different stylistic influences while still having a strong personality of his own! This has always been my favorite Psychonauts track:

Sounds like great music for a situation really early in the morning (around 3), where it's really surreal, compounded by your exhaustion.

I also really like the motif he wrote for the brain jumping.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I can agree with that! He's someone who can incorporate many different stylistic influences while still having a strong personality of his own! This has always been my favorite Psychonauts track:

Sounds like great music for a situation really early in the morning (around 3), where it's really surreal, compounded by your exhaustion.

I also really like the motif he wrote for the brain jumping.

I always loved both games/series as a kid and played both frequently. Amusingly, I recall there was a boss battle in Psychonauts where I heard the music and thought "Hey, this sounds a bit like Sly Cooper!". I didn't think to look up who did the music until I was older. 

Anyway, here's another highlight. That voice is gnarly! I remember loving the music (and the battle it's for) so much I would especially look forward to this moment in the game just to be able to hear the music again. Thank goodness disabling sound effects was an option in the game!

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I always loved both games/series as a kid and played both frequently. Amusingly, I recall there was a boss battle in Psychonauts where I heard the music and thought "Hey, this sounds a bit like Sly Cooper!". I didn't think to look up who did the music until I was older. 

Anyway, here's another highlight. That voice is gnarly! I remember loving the music (and the battle it's for) so much I would especially look forward to this moment in the game just to be able to hear the music again. Thank goodness disabling sound effects was an option in the game!

It's a shame he didn't get the budget for live ensembles often, his work would sound so much stronger if he didn't use circa 2005 samples (that horn line in the track you posted just sounds so limp). 

9 hours ago, publicist said:

I just hope/wish he does get the chance to unleash a bit more orchestral fury or for a strong thematic score. This stuff is very good, musically, but badly lacks Wow-factor.

Agreed 100%.

36 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's a shame he didn't get the budget for live ensembles often, his work would sound so much stronger if he didn't use circa 2005 samples (that horn line in the track you posted just sounds so limp). 

Agreed, though I've played/listened to Sly 2 so many times it doesn't bother me. 

Looking for Richard by Howard Shore: Gothic and sombre, dramatic and haunting this score is an interesting precursor for Shore's LotR sound or should I say the first score to showcase this particular facet of his voice. Here it is most often fateful and stark sounding with mixed choruses intoning mournful stanzas in Latin with the composer's favourite rising and descending chord devices giving the work a tragic ebb and flow of inevitability. Additional colour is provided by the organ whose striking chords give a liturgical feel to many passages. Despite its rather uncompromising starkness, Looking for Richard remains a fascinating early glimpse of what would later bloom into a facet of Shore's voice that propelled him to greater fame with LotR and it is already a self-assured and so distinct here.

Under the Volcano - by the guy on my profile picture

This is just very good and imaginative stuff, North rarely disappoints.

Inception - Hans Zimmer

Also very good, a contender for his best score even I say - one of the top 10 film scores of the 21st century so far, at least if we limit ourselves to one film per composer. I miss Zimmer at his best like this, that is my biggest problem with Zimmer is that he is so rarely at his best. At his best, I am a pretty big fan of him, I can't say that for most Zimmer though.

47 minutes ago, Lewya said:

Under the Volcano - by the guy on my profile picturei. This is just very good and imaginative stuff, North rarely disappoints.

Top man, dude.

North is such an underrated composer, who never got the acclaim that he so richly deserved.

Always John Williams

Absolutely love the horn solo in the opening track, the upward reaching theme, the 90s synth bells/Celeste and subtle moments of beauty. 

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

"90s"?

Lol my bad. Those sounds make me think of Home Alone and a couple parts in Jurassic Park... I guess I associate it with that time period of my life. 

8 hours ago, MrJosh said:

Always John Williams

Absolutely love the horn solo in the opening track, the upward reaching theme, the 90s synth bells/Celeste and subtle moments of beauty. 

James Thatcher's horn solos are just beautiful. The impressionistic Among the Clouds is a highlight of the score but I have become rather fond of the whole soundtrack over the years.

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams: 1990's JW drama score with all the right ingredients mixed together in a perfect balance and a great long lined main theme which is complemented by the serene Tibet/Dalai Lama theme. Plus Yo-Yo Ma's cello solos are nothing to sneer at.

Oboe Concerto by John Williams: Lovely, just lovely. Keisuke Wakao is in top form here. The Pastorale is absolutely ravishing.

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial by John Williams

Interstellar by Hans Zimmer

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Jurassic Park III by Don Davis

:up:

Superman by John Williams: The Blue Box version, which is such a brilliant presentation of this great music. Johnny churned out these classics with such ease in the 1970's that it is simply amazing. My favourite part of the fantastic score is still the opening half, especially the apocalyptic destruction of Krypton, the gorgeous Americana Smallville music up to the Fortress of Solitude. The relentless action of the end half is also breathlessly stellar and played with gusto by the LSO.

This 'revolutionary' Morricone score as a whole is a chore to sit through but the title cue alone is worth the hassle (it's for a rather brilliant 'Marxist' movie about the evils of colonialization, with Marlon Brando as british agent who manipulates a slave revolt in the Caribbean to serve the interests of the sugar trade). The effect of the religiously charged chants with church organ on the movie re rather magical though (the main theme called 'Abolicao' is a stable of Morricone's concerts).

:music: Small Soldiers by :jerry:. My first ever listen to this score. It's pretty good actually. What I like about it the most is that, despite all its (hilarious) musical references, the score never seems to treats itself as a joke. There is a deliberate and assured sense to this score and solid core of musical storytelling. Think I might be revisiting it soon.

Typing of which, since it's from 1998...do you think we'll get the expanded Mulan from Disney this year? 20th anniversary seems like a fitting occasion.

Karol

The 13th Warrior Jerry Goldsmith

I love the main theme (stuck in my head now) and big unison sound of the horns. 

I will try out Graeme Revell's rejected score next. 

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Do you want to expand 1975-84 to 1972-84?

Not yet. But then, Jane Eyre is older than this one so it's 1971-1982 for me. Not a big fan of that 1984 score. And I think the 1983 one, the big one, is only partially great.

Karol

19 hours ago, Jerry said:

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial by John Williams

Interstellar by Hans Zimmer

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Jurassic Park III by Don Davis

:up:

One of those scores is absolutely fantastic.