What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Its better than LE DENTS DE LA MER.

(edit) Sorry, @Bespin, I didn't see that you'd gotten there, first.

Le (singular)

Les (plural)

It's Les dents de la mer 😉

The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat

I always liked this but I honestly like it more each time I listen to it.  “Rainy Day” is superb.

I didn’t like the movie, but I’m totally fine with this being Desplat’s second Oscar.

I find the whole score very pleasant, it fit the twisted fairy tale tone that Del Toro was going for like a glove.  Hey the melodies are memorable and well-orchestrated, which is more than can be said of 98% of modern scores.  I’ll take it.

Too much whimsy, Gondry-style. It was either too low-key or too accordion lightweight, which never really fitted the movie (that was also somewhat misguided in its tone and design). That one moment i felt a dramatic weight most of the rest lacked. For such a 'safe' score i have curiously little affection for it.

The movie lost me once the monster killed a cat and I haven't given it any thought or attention since.

Once you hurt a cat, you're garbage to me. You're filth. You're slime. 

32 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

The movie lost me once the monster killed a cat and I haven't given it any thought or attention since.

Once you hurt a cat, you're garbage to me. You're filth. You're slime. 

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Too much whimsy, Gondry-style. It was either too low-key or too accordion lightweight, which never really fitted the movie (that was also somewhat misguided in its tone and design). That one moment i felt a dramatic weight most of the rest lacked. For such a 'safe' score i have curiously little affection for it.

Ditto.

Alien 3 (LLL expanded)

Sweet Jesus, now i am full of praise for Goldenthal's great 1992 album edit. This set is brimful with atmospherics that beg to be cutted and trimmed. 

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Alien 3 (LLL expanded)

Sweet Jesus, now i am full of praise for Goldenthal's great 1992 album edit. This set is brimful with atmospherics that beg to be cutted and trimmed. 

But a composer has a certain narrative they convey through the start to the end of a film! The only way to truly appreciate and enjoy it is if you hear it complete and in chronological order, including 9 second stinger cues and 4 minute ambience cues!

It has really become a chore to load all this stuff to Audition just to check waveforms for anything interesting happening for half hour stretches.

That set never showed up and LLL never responded to any of my emails. Whether they never shipped it or it got lost in the mail or the order never processed, I don't know.

Oh well!

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

It has really become a chore to load all this stuff to Audition just to check waveforms for anything interesting happening for half hour stretches.

Just put the fuckin thing on and hit "PLAY"!

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

If the set ever did show up, I probably would have just recreated the album presentation, kept a couple extra cues and would be happy to have the 20th Century Fox fanfare. 

Are you going to push for a refund, or do you still want the album?

Journey by Austin Wintory

Medal of Honor: European Assault by Christopher Lennertz

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I still want it, but they haven't responded at all to my emails. I placed the order within a week it was released. 

Huh.  I’ve only ever received excellent customer service from LLL.  Do you have some bizarre email address that might get sent to spam?  Like kasey@hentaifan.com?

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Huh.  I’ve only ever received excellent customer service from LLL.  Do you have some bizarre email address that might get sent to spam?  Like kasey@hentaifan.com?

...no...no, o-of course not, hehehe...ahem..

But yeah, I'm pretty baffled myself. I've never had an issue like this with any of the labels before.

If these two are both Mummies I will be really happy indeed. And it's probably even better they will be announced next week since I won't be home for a couple of weeks anyway.

Karol

Julius Caesar by Miklós Rózsa: This is the first actual score I ever listened from the composer and it still holds a special place in my heart. The re-recording by Bruce Broughton and the Sinfonia of London is exemplary and wonderfully recorded and as ever showcases Rózsa's artistry not just as a film composer but as a composer period. His partly tortured partly ruminative string theme for Brutus, his pompous militaristic march theme for Caesar and various little motifs all seem effortless and inevitable in their construction and interaction which is best displayed in the finale of Caesar Now Be Still where the composer deftly joins the main themes in a magnificent counterpoint development that ever grows in intensity only to suddenly end with a powerful percussion cadence. It might not be overly subtle in its approach but always thoughtful and intricate in its construction and on album it is vivid musical storytelling well worthy of the famous Shakespeare play.

Some very early Johnny, his two first contributions to soundtracks we have so far on album.

p_sr60179.jpg Original TV Music From "Wagon Train" (1959, Mercury Records, MG-20502)

(Reissued for digital download in 2011, Red Bitch Music) --> TOP NOTCH RESTORATION BTW

p_jm1005.jpg

(Reissued in 2013, Fresh Sound Records, JM 1005, Compilation)

(Reissued for digital download in 2013, Jazz in the Movies)