What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

El Dorado - Nelson Riddle

A VHS favorite from when I was a kiddo.  Fun, if not overly inspiring, western score.  Some very 60s underscore plus many tracks inspired by (or maybe in some cases are straight up arrangements of?) traditional Mexican folk music.  I wouldn't say no to a nice reissue with upgraded audio.  I only have access to the OST through streaming sites.

According to this: http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/36898/El+Dorado it's never received a proper CD release.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Riddle was best when arranging for Sinatra in the second half of the 50's and early 60's.

That's certainly some great work.  But my personal favorite release he ever worked on was Ella Fitzgerald's Gershwin songbook album.

In fact, this arrangement in particular is the finest thing he ever did and one of the greatest 4 minutes of anything ever :) 

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

September of my Years...

A rainy afternoon favourite of my early childhood (and still eminently watchable):

Yes!  I just rewatched all 4 over the past few weeks on Filmstruck.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's certainly some great work.  But my personal favorite release he ever worked on was Ella Fitzgerald's Gershwin songbook album.

In fact, this arrangement in particularly is the finest thing he ever did and one of the great 4 minutes of anything ever :) 

How could I forget to mention Ella... the songbook arrangements by Riddle are indeed sublime. Definitely on level with his Sinatra work.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Is that the box-set?

Have you got the JOHN BARRY REVISITED box?

No, it's a single disc. This is it.

And no, I don't have the Barry box - as a matter of fact, I wasn't even aware it existed until now. :blink:

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Well hey, I'm really diggin' this! Movie looks hilarious too (unintentionally so I assume).

Oh it is a Finnish children's film so I am sure it is entirely intentional. Panu Aaltio's music isn't half bad though.

Presumed Innocent by John Williams

:music:Memoirs of a Geisha

5 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Never heard of this Panu fella! Happy to discover him. 

Be sure to check out his documentary scores Metsän tarina (Tale of a Forest) and Järven tarina (Tale of a Lake). Lovely stuff.

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The best of John Williams (these conductors ROCKS!)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « life in music john williams music london »

I recall you spoke very negatively about this before it was released, and you wouldn't listen to it unless it got a review at Prestoclassical or ArkivMusic. :D

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I recall you spoke very negatively about this before it was released, and you wouldn't listen to it unless it got a review at Prestoclassical or ArkivMusic. :D

Don't bring me backward, mercy... The program of this CD may be a bit conservative and short... but it's a GRANDIOSE best-of.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Don't bring me backward, mercy... The program of this CD may be a bit conservative and short... but it's a GRANDIOSE best-of.

I'll have to give it a spin, then.

Michael Giacchino - Incredibles 2

FUN!  Incredits 2 is one of my favorite tracks of the year, hands down.

Yasunori Mitsuda & Nubuo Uematsu - Front Mission: Gun Hazard

Best music to work to I've come across in a while

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

Classic!

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

Just as much of a classic!

Don Davis - The Matrix (Complete)

Interesting!  I had, for a while now, considered The Matrix Reloaded to be the best of the trilogy (scores I mean).  I think because it had the most amount of "fun" techno/orchestra infusion tracks.  But there's really something special about the first score that the other two don't do, isn't there?  It had a better narrative flow, tells a better story.  Almost like a horror/thriller score with action parts in a way.  I'm really digging this lately, listened to it a few times.

I haven't listened to a single second of The Incredibles 2.  Does he put much effort into differentiating it from the first score?  If it's more of the same, I'll pass.

Wall-E by Thomas Newman

Bridge of Spies by Thomas Newman

Islands in the Streams by Jerry Goldsmith

The Final Conflict by Jerry Goldsmith

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Don Davis - The Matrix (Complete)

Interesting!  I had, for a while now, considered The Matrix Reloaded to be the best of the trilogy (scores I mean).  I think because it had the most amount of "fun" techno/orchestra infusion tracks.  But there's really something special about the first score that the other two don't do, isn't there?  It had a better narrative flow, tells a better story.  Almost like a horror/thriller score with action parts in a way.  I'm really digging this lately, listened to it a few times.

It's definitely the most unique of the three that boasts more of a personality of its own. The other two basically become more straightforward fantasy action scores, with shades and moments of some neat post-minimalist writing. But The Matrix is where most of the magic is. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

It's definitely different from the first.  Just check it out free on Spotify

Would you say that "Incredits 2" is a good sampler of specifically what's new?  Like would I be good using that as my entry point?

Sure

21 minutes ago, KK said:

It's definitely the most unique of the three that boasts more of a personality of its own. The other two basically become more straightforward fantasy action scores, with shades and moments of some neat post-minimalist writing. But The Matrix is where most of the magic is. 

Yea, that's a good way of putting it.

Michael Land - The Secret of Monkey Island (2009 remake)

I quite enjoy this; I still have nostalgia for the original 90s version, but the re-recorded music for the remake isn't bad.  This is truly all time classic score no matter which version you listen to.

Michael Land - The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (2010 remake)

I don't enjoy this one quite as much.  Somehow the re-recording lost some of the charm of the original version, which is such a great sequel score.  A lot of the music towards the end kind drags TBH, as opposed to the first score where every track is brilliant.

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Still one of my favorite of his recent fare, and one of my favorite summer blockbuster scores of the decade

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

Really fun, a true continuation of David Holmes' originals.

I've listened to my alternate Chamber of Secrets OST multiple times in the last few days and am looking forward to sharing it in its thread for second opinions.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

don't enjoy this one quite as much.  Somehow the re-recording lost some of the charm of the original version, which is such a great sequel score.  A lot of the music towards the end kind drags TBH, as opposed to the first score where every track is brilliant.

Did you find that an issue with the music as composed, or specifically with the rerecording? 

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

I've listened to my alternate Chamber of Secrets OST multiple times in the last few days and am looking forward to sharing it in its thread for second opinions.

I actually never listened to Chamber of Secrets, I've always been put off by the whole...well, you know.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Did you find that an issue with the music as composed, or specifically with the rerecording? 

Of course not. I called it a great score in my post that you quoted!

Just now, Nick Parker said:

I actually never listened to Chamber of Secrets, I've always been put off by the whole...well, you know.

I like it more than the Sorceror's Stone OST.  Both scores are classics.

Just now, Jay said:

Of course not. I called it a great score in my post that you quoted!

Just wanted clarification, so listening to the original album, you wouldn't find any tracks to drag?

45 minutes ago, KK said:

Agreed, but I still like Revolutions for the final battle cue (can't remember what it's called). 

Just now, Holko said:

Neodämmerung?

Me being an uncultured heathen, what is the pun or whatever both Davis and Goldenthal are going for with that and Batterdämmerung in Batman Forever?

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Me being an uncultured heathen, what is the pun or whatever both Davis and Goldenthal are going for with that and Batterdämmerung in Batman Forever?

Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods) from Wagner. If you'd translate, they would be Twilight of Neo and Twilight of the Bat, I think.

16 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

What? Say it!

14 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Just wanted clarification, so listening to the original album, you wouldn't find any tracks to drag?

I've never listened to an OST album for the original game.  Did it even have one?  I just remember the music from playing the game when it was released

They refer to Gotterdämmerung, the finale of Wagner's Ring cycle. It's the part that ends with Siegfried's death, and the title refers to the great war in which the gods ultimately destroy the world and rebuild a new one.

John Williams - The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Seriously, gotta be one of my favorite Johnny Dubs scores.  I NEVER get sick of it remotely, no matter how many times I listen!

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Pretty good, but I need to figure out what tracks from the middle of the album to cut to improve the listening experience, and I sure wish there was an easy way to listen to the final suite track without the first 2 minutes of retreated material at the start

Craig Wedren & Theodore Shapiro - Wet Hot American Summer

Been listening to this a lot since randomly discovering one day it finally got an OST release 13 years after the film came out.  As a huge fan of the film, I love it all immensely.

Lena Raine - Celeste

Tops!  Gets better and better all the time.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never listened to an OST album for the original game.  Did it even have one?  I just remember the music from playing the game when it was released

I'm sure there was at least one of those mega-Lucasarts compilation albums (where the Monkey Island soundtrack and Day of the Tentacles or something would be on the same disc), but there are plenty of ways to get the music unofficially. There used to be a website dedicated to LucasArts soundtracks, and you could download them for free, I don't know if it's around anymore. It's how I discovered Grim Fandango!

Oh sure, it's very easy to rip the music out of the games.  All the Lucasarts adventure games have great scores IMO

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

Pretty good, but I need to figure out what tracks from the middle of the album to cut to improve the listening experience, and I sure wish there was an easy way to listen to the final suite track without the first 2 minutes of retreated material at the start

It's odd how often I see that in regards to FK (drags in the middle) as I find the whole thing entertaining as heck, but what the hey, glad you enjoy it! It's probably because of my usual environment for music playing (during my delivery work in the car), so the lesser cues for me make for necessary in-betweens or atmosphere building before the big highlights. I only feel the need to cut an album down if it's TOO long of a wait for a highlight cue, which in this case the 'in-between' cue like Iris is only a minute long. Really love the album presentation too. If there's any missing music, I couldn't care less, as I find the album choices are pretty much perfect. I'd even go so far as to say it's not only the best Jurassic OST, but a better album than Solo in terms of presentation.

...Truth be told, I'm so used to my new cue titles, I forgot what the original titles were.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I often find Giacchino's OSTs to be perfectly acceptable distillations of his scores, but something about both Jurassic Worl OSTs is "off" to me.  With the first one, when we got the session leak it changed my opinion on the score a lot.  I knew as soon as I saw the film there was a bunch of stuff in the movie that should have been on the OST.  i haven't seen the second film yet so have no idea what hte unreleased music sounds like or how much there is, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ever get a session leak, that I'd prefer a different 70 minutes of highlights than his OST program.

As someone who's seen the film three times, I think there's only about 3-4 minor moments missing (a reprise of the "Owen You Nothing", another reprise of the Owen/Raptor motif before they enter the island, and the Williams theme on piano when Claire and Owen are imprisoned). All pretty minor if you ask moi, though I'm sure if you wanted a more ideal streamlined album you could trim it down to an hour instead of 76 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I often find Giacchino's OSTs to be perfectly acceptable distillations of his scores, but something about both Jurassic Worl OSTs is "off" to me.  With the first one, when we got the session leak it changed my opinion on the score a lot.  I knew as soon as I saw the film there was a bunch of stuff in the movie that should have been on the OST.  i haven't seen the second film yet so have no idea what hte unreleased music sounds like or how much there is, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ever get a session leak, that I'd prefer a different 70 minutes of highlights than his OST program.