What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith: One of those early 90's Jerry scores that is just perfect blend of orchestra and synthesizers and with strong intelligent musical concepts behind it, here namely the intricately constructed aggressive propulsive action scoring that hurtles and pulses forward with such forceful personality. Melody is present but not in the lead in the action and even the main "the dream" theme first heard in the pounding main title is carefully woven into the score mostly in very subtle variations to underscore story beats in a knowing fashion rather than bolstering the violent antics of Arnold's character. Verhoeven really seemed to bring out the best in the composer.

I just ordered this nice anti-nuclear water-proof sd card holder.  

The four at the top left are dedicated to John Williams, of course!

Most of the time, When I listen to music, it's with them.

Today, I'm on vacation, so many John Williams's music to come... which to choose? 😂

IMG_2528.JPGIMG_2529.JPG

Alien (Intrada complete, score only)

OK, I gotta get this. For some reason I can enjoy it more on its own, as an "inspired by the movie" experience, and have no wish to try and restore every single bit or see how they'd worked and what exactly do they score.

I also love the movie on its own as it is (theatrical cut) so much, I have no motivation to modify it with rejected material and see how and why it was switched around. 

Waterworld

Want this now! The sound is great, very reassuring after starting to worry at the terribly butchered mix in the movie.

30 minutes ago, Holko said:

OK, I gotta get this. For some reason I can enjoy it more on its own, as an "inspired by the movie" experience, and have no wish to try and restore every single bit or see how they'd worked and what exactly do they score.

I also love the movie on its own as it is (theatrical cut) so much, I have no motivation to modify it with rejected material and see how and why it was switched around. 

Yeah, Jerry's original score is a perfect listening experience.  And I think the movie is perfect, but I have no desire to listen to the music as presented in the movie.  I too think of them as two separate things.

A Room With a View - Richard Robbins (with an assist from Puccini)

*mwah*  È magnifico!

sfldexbs3e95hm1u0zps.jpg

Part 1 of my favorite film trilogy*.  No small part of these films' intoxicating atmosphere is due to Robbins' music.  The aching adaptation of Italian romanticism in the first half gives way to the modernist update of British pastoralism more typical of the three scores.  I could drink this music like wine.

*not a joke, not hyperbole

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A Room With a View - Richard Robbins (with an assist from Puccini)

Part 1 of my favorite film trilogy*.  No small part of the film's intoxicating atmosphere is due to Robbins' score.  The aching adaptation of Italian romanticism in the first half gives way to the modernist update of British pastoralism more typical of the three scores.  I could drink this music like wine.

When did it become a trilogy?

And has the score been released?

Oh, found it:

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

When did it become a trilogy?

https://www.amazon.com/Forster-Trilogy-Room-Maurice-Howards/dp/B000002SIK

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And has the score been released?

Oh, found it:

Sadly unavailable to stream in the US.  Not in print in any way here now, only available as used CDs.

You have a wide interpretation of "trilogy". ;)

Btw @Disco Stu, have you listened to the score to Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver? It gets a 5/5 rating on the JS scale.

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/4989-lady-jane.html?search_query=lady+jane&results=156

Perhaps yours is quite narrow.

Most trilogies are works of fiction involving the same characters or setting, such as The Deptford Trilogy of novels by Robertson Davies and The Apu Trilogy of films by Satyajit Ray. Others are connected only by theme: for example, each film of Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colors trilogy explores one of the political ideals of the French Republic (liberty, equality, fraternity). Trilogies can also be connected in less obvious ways, such as The Nova Trilogy of novels by William S. Burroughs, each written using cut-up technique.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw @Disco Stu, have you listened to the score to Lady Jane by Stephen Oliver? It gets a 5/5 rating on the JS scale.

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/4989-lady-jane.html?search_query=lady+jane&results=156

I've been eyeing that release for a year now.  I like the samples, just haven't sprung for it yet.

Haven't seen the film either.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've been eyeing that release for a year now.  I like the samples, just haven't sprung for it yet.

The film is enjoyable although with flaws, but the score is fantastic! Get it before it runs OOP.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah, Jerry's original score is a perfect listening experience.  And I think the movie is perfect, but I have no desire to listen to the music as presented in the movie.  I too think of them as two separate things.

ALIEN is another one of the JG scores - along with LOGAN'S RUN, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, DAMIEN:OMEN II, THE SWARM, and STAR TREKS FIRST CONTACT, INSURRECTION, + NEMESIS - that improve 100% once one listens to the complete score.

47 minutes ago, Richard said:

ALIEN is another one of the JG scores - along with LOGAN'S RUN, THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, DAMIEN:OMEN II, THE SWARM, and STAR TREKS FIRST CONTACT, INSURRECTION, + NEMESIS - that improve 100% once one listens to the complete score.

What exactly is improved by the lackluster original recording of 'Damien: omen II'?

Maurice - Richard Robbins

Of the three Forster scores, this is the one that is the best showcase for Robbins' talent.  For the other two he has to share center stage with Puccini (in A Room With a View) and Percy Grainger (in Howards End).  Robbins pretty much gets to stand on his own here.

It's a colorful symphonic score that is the definitive example of his style, that gorgeous Philip Glass meets Vaughan Williams thing.  Even in the early naivete of Maurice's character, the music seems to be a melancholy commentary on the hidden, often tragic lives of people like him in that era.  It's the soft sadness, and sometimes the fear, at his core as he learns to create the hardened shell to protect himself.

The 'End Titles' make me want to cry, a (measured) expression of joy as Maurice gets to finally be himself.

Every time I watch the movie, for days after I'm saying "Come to th'boathouse" in that distinct Alec Scudder voice that Rupert Graves uses :D 

Dunkirk by Hans Zimmer, Benjamin Wallfisch, Lorne Balfe, and use of a theme by Sir Edward Elgar

Found this on the way:

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

Fun fact from the liner notes of the Dunkirk OST:

Taken from the address by director Christopher Nolan.

I believe a good example of the watch soundbites are present in Supermarine.

- Gremlin Greenaway - John Williams: A life in music (2018)

- Keith Lockhart - Cinema, Magic and whatever: six decades of John Wiliams (2017)

- John Williams - Jaws (OST from Intrada set)

- John Williams - Jaws 2 (OST from Intrada set)

- John Williams - Raiders of the lost Ark (2008 Concord reissue)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « summer snoopy »

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps yours is quite narrow.

Or like Wong Kar-wai's Love trilogy!

7 hours ago, Holko said:

Alien (Intrada complete, score only)

Can't remember, did you play Alien: Isolation? Were you able to pick up the Goldsmith moments in it?

10 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Can't remember, did you play Alien: Isolation?

Bought it, haven't played it yet.

20 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I don't know how to survived Silent Hill 2 and 3 as a tyke.

Now those scores are tops of the tops, some of my absolute favorite music comes from those two.

In the band I led a few years ago, this was one of our favorite tracks to groove on (with melodies like 1:44 being blared out of a tenor sax):

Tracks like these completely altered my paradigm of how media can be scored...this is for a bowling alley!

2 hours ago, publicist said:

What exactly is improved by the lackluster original recording of 'Damien: omen II'?

Granted, the rerecording is superior, but the original has the lovely snow ski music, and I'd wanted that ever since I saw the film. It's all the more surreal (it would have suited Mike Hodge's dry sense of humour) as it comes after the highway scene.

Pan by John Powell

The Edge by Jerry Goldsmith

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

I think A Visitor in San Diego might be my favorite action music J. Williams ever did. Also, is it okay that to this day, I still arrange the order to where that cue comes after Ludlow's Demise? I know that isn't the film order, but I can't hear it any other way. Maybe it's better in film order for all I know, but my ears are stubbornly accustomed to how the album arranged the finale.

I alternate with Star Wars and The Force Awakens in the car. Also King Kong, Titanic, and the Amazing Spiderman when I decide enough Williams

Nubuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VII

I love disc 1 and then slowly begin to lose interest and have to switch to something else.  Maybe it's a grower.

James Horner - Titanic (custom edit)

I prefer this score as much of the bagpipes & synth choir removed as possible.  Just my preference!

Eric Serra - The Fifth Element

One of my favorite film scores, long overdue for specialty label treatment (that I'm not hopeful will ever come).  Such a well-constructed score that perfectly suits the movie!

4 hours ago, publicist said:

It has one or two nice cues that the album skips. But the album recording is so much better that I haven't listened to the film cues for so long, I can't even remember them

Howards End - Richard Robbins

Despite what I said above about Maurice being the best showcase for Robbins' talent, this OST is my favorite.  It's inextricably entwined with my feelings for the film, one of my ten or so favorites of all time.

For me, it is the apotheosis of Merchant Ivory, Forster, and every actor involved.  A work of such maturity, depth, and wisdom it only grows in my estimation as the years float by.  It's secretly one of the most soulful, emotional films ever made.  Robbins rises to meet the material with his most multi-faceted score for the three films.  He captures the hopeless longing of Leonard Bast, the distant enigmatic coldness of the Wilcoxes, the pragmatism and emotional openness of Margaret Schlegel, and the unfocused, curdled passion of her sister, Helen.  The soundtrack probably doesn't play as well to someone not completely obsessed with the film like me, but I don't care!  I love it!

Wow, I just accidentally quoted Icona Pop.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, Jay said:

I've never listened to an OST album for the original game.  Did it even have one?  I just remember the music from playing the game when it was released

No official albums for the original Monkey Island games, for sure. Perhaps a couple of tracks on some later compilations or something. I'm pretty sure The Dig and Grim Fandango were quite special for their time for having soundtrack albums on CD, even if they were hard to come by.

I like both re-recordings, and I usually play those instead of the original cues. I'm especially fond of how they combined the Woodtick variations into a single lengthy cue. In the original, that's one of the highlights of the iMuse system.

I do hope that someday, all three games (or perhaps all 5 games, but I don't remember the scores from EfMI and ToMI much) get regular CD releases someday, or at least regularly available digital releases. In fact, CoMI badly needs a score release. As the first game in the series to have sampled music, all the big set pieces cues that play during the video sequences cannot be ripped from the game sans sound effects.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:40 PM, KK said:

They refer to Gotterdämmerung, the finale of Wagner's Ring cycle. It's the part that ends with Siegfried's death, and the title refers to the great war in which the gods ultimately destroy the world and rebuild a new one.

To be precise, it ends with the burning of Valhalla and the death of the Gods and the dawn of a new era, some 30 minutes after Siegfried's funeral march. ;)

Sidenote on the funeral march: It sounds like a straightforward piece of music, but it's actually constructed from a shitload of themes, often stacked in counterpoint. Here's a brilliantly brutal recording of it:

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

No official albums for the original Monkey Island games, for sure. Perhaps a couple of tracks on some later compilations or something. I'm pretty sure The Dig and Grim Fandango were quite special for their time for having soundtrack albums on CD, even if they were hard to come by.

Was The Dig's OST really hard to come by? I remember seeing it in my local Media Play for a while before I eventually bought a copy. Didn't some editions of Grim Fandango come with an OST CD in the box? I don't remember.

I like both re-recordings, and I usually play those instead of the original cues. I'm especially fond of how they combined the Woodtick variations into a single lengthy cue. In the original, that's one of the highlights of the iMuse system.

Yes! The Woodtick music is amazing. I fondly remember the Largo theme mixing in when he appeared, it was so cool.

I do hope that someday, all three games (or perhaps all 5 games, but I don't remember the scores from EfMI and ToMI much) get regular CD releases someday, or at least regularly available digital releases. In fact, CoMI badly needs a score release. As the first game in the series to have sampled music, all the big set pieces cues that play during the video sequences cannot be ripped from the game sans sound effects.

If Disney sells the rights to Ron Gilbert,  he'd make it happen!

I got to meet Joe Bob Briggs as he hosted a screening of the beautifully uncomfortable-to-watch masterwork Sleepaway Camp. During the drive home from this event, I listened to...

The Funhouse by John Beal

- John Williams - Spacecamp

- John Wlliams - Witches of Eastwick

- John Williams - A.I. (LLL, 3CD)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « snoopy summer »

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Was The Dig's OST really hard to come by? I remember seeing it in my local Media Play for a while before I eventually bought a copy. Didn't some editions of Grim Fandango come with an OST CD in the box? I don't remember.

No idea about The Dig, just assuming. But I remember back in the early 2000s when I became aware of the Grim OST, it was only available for the LucasArts website (with high shipping costs to Europe).

8 hours ago, Jay said:

If Disney sells the rights to Ron Gilbert,  he'd make it happen!

I love CoMI the way it is (and the barbershop variations are just as lovely as Woodtick), but Gilbert getting back his rights to finally make the original MI3 is one of the most important causes in video gaming.

I'd like Grim-/Full Throttle-style remakes of MI1 and MI2, too. I've never picked up the existing versions, because they were only available for Windows (don't have it), possibly Mac (didn't have one at the time) and various consoles (didn't like the gamepad controls in the PS3 demo). They didn't look bad, but I think versions that stick closer to the original style would be more appropriate. Gilbert isn't a fan of remasters of any kind (including the 1:1 upgrades Double Fine have done), so even if he got the rights back, that probably wouldn't happen.

Speaking of which, I should finally get started on Full Throttle.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's such a top-heavy list. I'd be interested to know what you think of SpaceCamp, Bes, as it tends to get overlooked, on this site.

I love the beat, you know the beat.

😎

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

IMAGES recently? :D

That's not a summer movie.  In 4-5 month maybe.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Speaking of which, I should finally get started on Full Throttle.

You've never played Full Throttle? :eh:

Listening to Skyscraper by Jablonksninkskly right now. It's meh.

Next will be the new Hotel Transylvania by Mothersbauuuhghgh.

And then maybe the new Ant-Man by Beck

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I always got stuck in the junkyard part as a kid.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

I played a part of it a couple of years ago on ScummVM, but got stuck at some point. I have the remastered version, so I'll have to play that soon. (But first: Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, which arrived today. I only finally finished UC4 a week ago or so) (I'm a lazy once in a while gamer)

Just now, Jerry said:

The Lion King by Hans Zimmer featuring The Lion King Cast

Lots of fun, and some epic score moments that are classic.

Never have been a fan of the songs, but Zimmer's score is nice

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Never have been a fan of the songs, but Zimmer's score is nice

The songs are not great, but they are a huge part of the score and movie. The instrumental score is nice.

I feel the same about Frozen.