What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

That's pretty much right, yes.

Frozen wise, you only really need Vuelie and Heimr Arnadalr, but the rest of its pretty good too.

Coronation Day & Epilogue are fire bro

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

Somehow, I don't think that was Walt Whitman.

Although if Bon Scott had lived I'm sure he'd be Poet Laureate of Australia by now.

Die Another Day - David Arnold

Guys, I just love this score.  I just do.  The LLL set has really made me give it a second chance, after mostly ignoring it due to my opinion of the film, and I’ve been listening semi-regularly since that came out.  It’s my second favorite Arnold after TND.  It’s fun and I embrace the dated qualities as part of the charm.

Nice-if-insubstantial: Balfe & Co. weave a patchwork carpet of romantic minimalist dabs (guitar, strings, accordeon, sax, woodwinds), that makes one wonder how unassuming it is in musically translating an intense genius like Picasso, but that may be attributable to the series its based on. Not unlike 'Sneakers' and several Mychael Danna scores in tone, it sadly never coalesces into something above a soothing revue of tracks that somehow all blend into another. I mention it here only because i'm usually extremely allergic to Balfe, so i'm eager to mention the (few) beacons of light from time to time.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Die Another Day - David Arnold

Guys, I just love this score.  I just do.  The LLL set has really made me give it a second chance, after mostly ignoring it due to my opinion of the film, and I’ve been listening semi-regularly since that came out.  It’s my second favorite Arnold after TND.  It’s fun and I embrace the dated qualities as part of the charm.

Its fun!

:music:Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 by Danny Elfman. It has been a while. These are really good actually. Concise 45-minute albums definitely help.

Karol

On 7/13/2018 at 5:38 AM, Bespin said:

- John Williams - Spacecamp

- John Wlliams - Witches of Eastwick

- John Williams - A.I. (LLL, 3CD)

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « snoopy summer »

A.I. Turned out to be a very bad choice for summer day listening... will listen to it in a more appropriate time.

14 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Ghost Story by Phillipe Sarde

The Swarm by Jerry Goldsmith

Apparently, the LP liner notes for this one are a hoot.

Yeah, that they are, being written by the film's publicist, one Tony Habeeb, if memory serves.

The music, however, is absolutely beyond reproach.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:33 AM, Falafel said:

The Fury - John Williams

Epilogue is the best part.

Indeed although I love the entire score both the film score and the awesome re-recording by JW and LSO.

God of War by Bear McCreary: I find the quasi-Nordic/Scandinavian feel of the composition very appealing and find myself returning to it quite often these days.

It's long and undistinguished, save for the few moments when Balfe and team are forced to work with Lalo's now methusalemic old tunes. Too bad, something along the lines of Tyler's 'Now You See Me' would have been great for this series.

Mummy Returns - a complete remastered boot. 

OK, this'll be a big order - Cowboys, Mummy and Mummy Returns! Music Box will be happy.

Alan Silvestri - Predator (Intrada 2012)

John Debney - Cutthroat Island (LLL)

Jerry Goldsmith - Executive Decision (VS 2016)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Omen (VS 2016

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Expanded Edition? What's your thoughts on that?

I'm glad it came out for there is a quite a lot of interesting previously unreleased material on it. But it also for some reason doesn't flow as well as it should. It is the case with a few expanded Kamen albums actually. But you can always create a custom playlist so all is good. :)

When it comes to Kamen's bigger blockbuster scores I generally prefer his action/thriller stuff like Die Hard or Lethal Weapon. There is a rusty swagger to those that really appeals to me.

Overall I really like Kamen. He is a bit all over the place. His scores are sometimes not as polished in terms of writing, performance and recording but he has an unmistakable thumbprint. Even when assisted by dozens of ghost writers he still sounds like someone. :)

Karol - who would really like to see License to Kill expanded

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I'm glad it came out for there is a quite a lot of interesting previously unreleased material on it. But it also for some reason doesn't flow as well as it should. It is the case with a few expanded Kamen albums actually.

Do you think that Band of Brothers could/will eventually get an expanded release? How much more unreleased music do you think there is, if any at all? It's been a while since I've seen the series but being one of my favorites, I listen to the soundtrack regularly and would love to see an expanded/complete edition.

Amistad by John Williams

Bassoon Concerto The Five Sacred Trees by John Williams

The Patriot by John Williams

3 minutes ago, Maglorfin said:

Do you think that Band of Brothers could/will eventually get an expanded release? How much more unreleased music do you think there is, if any at all? It's been a while since I've seen the series but being one of my favorites, I listen to the soundtrack regularly and would love to see an expanded/complete edition.

There is a lot of unreleased music from the series and I would really welcome an expanded release of the score. To my mind it contains some of the finest music Kamen has composed. E.g. I would love to have the film version of The Mission Begins with chorus included and a lot of the small moments where Kamen develops his various thematic ideas.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

There is a lot of unreleased music from the series and I would really welcome an expanded release of the score. To my mind it contains some of the finest music Kamen has composed.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :thumbup: It's one of the finest TV soundtracks of all time.

It is fine music on album and while schmaltzy at times it also contained some beautiful moments of reflection that wonderfully enhance these scenes in the series.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

Not even there. But i just don't like Kamen's style, never have.

Then it can't be helped. Just like I am not a fan of e.g. Maurice Jarre's style.

I know. Jarre had this idiosyncratic style of what i call 'bum harmonizing'. Still, he had quite a few hits (Is Paris Burning? Only the Lonely, A Walk in the Clouds, The Bride, in addition to his known classics).

With Kamen, i have a few select things with Intrada's 'Robin Hood' being the only substantial addition to my collection. And god knows, i tried.

That is why I like his action scores. There is a sense of mischief to them which is quite different from most composers'. It might be even facetious scoring in a way given his disdain for the genre but it's partially why they work so well, especially Die Hard scores.

Karol

22 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That is why I like his action scores. There is a sense of mischief to them which is quite different from most composers'.

Well said! That's why I really like the score of Licence to Kill.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I'm glad it came out for there is a quite a lot of interesting previously unreleased material on it. But it also for some reason doesn't flow as well as it should.

That's also my view after listening to it a couple of times.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

I know. Jarre had this idiosyncratic style of what i call 'bum harmonizing'. 

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you find the harmonization too basic?

Not too basic, it's just awkward for western ears. Which has the advantage that its often more interesting than your typical film music clichés and the disadvantage that it often sounds...awkward.

On the subject of Russia, today marks the 100th anniversary of the murder of Tsar Nicholas II and his family.  

Terrible event, major one of the 20th century.

Well, I can't find Richard Rodney Bennett's Nicholas and Alexandra score online, so I suppose this will have to do for now.  Historically lacking, but still a touching tune.

Feel free to share some more scores on the subject.