What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Wrong thread people!!

Sigh.

Anyway, @Matt C, to answer your question, do take a listen to the whole score.  It is excellently strong in parts.  Love the writing, especially for brass and woodwinds. 

Goldsmith goes full Mr. Robato with the synths for the most part, but he does use them to good effect from time to time. 

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is Crazy Rich Asians like his Now You See Me scores?

@Will?

I'll admit I haven't heard those scores before. But I did just take a listen to a couple cues and they sounded totally different from Crazy Rich Asians. The latter score is entirely acoustic (or at least sounds like it is - there could be some more subtle synth accompaniments). And the orchestrations are pretty old-fashioned (string-heavy love theme, big band jazz for the more exciting moments, etc.). The bits I just heard from Now You See Me (although they may not have been representative) sounded much more "modern."

Ultimately, the best way to describe Crazy Rich Asians is as a feel-good score. The themes aren't brilliant, the orchestrations aren't wildly complex, but the general sound is really quite romantic and pleasant. 

4 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Why not get an Asian composer??

Yeah I kinda wondered that too actually. But what we got is pretty darn good imho so I'm not complaining. 

5 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah I kinda wondered that too actually. But what we got is pretty darn good imho so I'm not complaining. 

I listened to the love theme and a couple of the Jazz tracks but had to turn it off.  It's like that "fight or flight" feeling you get when you're about to head into danger.  My body rejects a lush orchestral score for a movie called "Crazy Rich Asians".

15 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I listened to the love theme and a couple of the Jazz tracks but had to turn it off.  It's like that "fight or flight" feeling you get when you're about to head into danger.  My body rejects a lush orchestral score for a movie called "Crazy Rich Asians".

Lol alright, to each his own. 

X-Men - Michael Kamen

The majority of the score is hit-and-miss for me, but "Logan Holds Rogue" is always a treat. Just beautiful and haunting.

:music: War of the Worlds by Johnny T. Williams. Come on La-La Land, I want this expansion! The OST doesn't make much sense a lot of the time. Combining all those shorter suspense cues in Escape from the Basket was a terrible idea. Would be better if they omitted majority of it altogether and just gave us the final portions. The score itself is ace. The Ferry Scene reminds me of Alex North on his 2001 timpani rampage.

Karol

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams

Lair by John Debney

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

I just discovered that a compilation album was released 10 years ago, featuring Desplat's work for director Jacques Audiard. Snagged it for $6 on iTunes and gave it a listen. The three movements for Read My Lips are superb.

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

The BFG by John Williams

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell & John Williams

Lost: The Final Season by Michael Giacchino

:music: Majority Report by John Williams. I like all the music on the CD but don't like the score that much. Does that even make sense? Nevertheless I am eagerly awaiting the (hopefully) inevitable expansion. Perhaps it is just the OST programme that bugs me.

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Majority Report by John Williams. I like all the music on the CD but don't like the score that much. Does that even make sense?

Karol

The Expanded score, you look for the Expanded Score.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Yoda's you look for »

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Majority Report by John Williams. I like all the music on the CD but don't like the score that much. Does that even make sense? Nevertheless I am eagerly awaiting the (hopefully) inevitable expansion. Perhaps it is just the OST programme that bugs me.

I'm not a fan of the way the CD sounds. Perhaps the expansion will clear it up a bit.

55 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm not a fan of the way the CD sounds. Perhaps the expansion will clear it up a bit.

This is probably a big part of it.

51 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure the score doesn't like you either.

I wouldn't blame it, honestly. Even I don't like myself.

:music: Spaceship Troopers. Fascist music has never been so delightful.

Karol

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Spaceship Troopers. Fascist music has never been so delightful.

I don't know, Ron Goodwin's Luftwaffe March has written "delightful" all over it:

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

A terrific score, I love it. Williams' answer to the modern thriller scoring with clear film noir scoring homages. The complete score naturally fleshes out the main motivic ideas more, the pre-crime motif, the Anne Lively material and Sean's theme and contains some nice gothic underscore from all along the musical story but in all fairness also contains some rather meandering underscore from the middle portion of the film. I find that the OST compiles most of the juicy stuff on the album but alas also contains those odd classic JW edits that frustrate his fans to no end like e.g. the truncated Pre-Crime to the Rescue.

13 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

He should have edited the cues into 20-minute listening experiences, otherwise it's inaccurate to the film! 

I am sure Mike Matessino will eventually find a way to satisfy all listening experience parties.

Been mostly gaming lately, so I've technically been listening (while playing) to Spyro the Dragon. But eventually also listened to Solo, with a brand new tracklist!

1. Meet Donald

2. Duckburg Chase

3. Spacepork

4. Flying with Tinkerbell

5. Casey Jr Heist

6. Beagle Boys Arrive

7. Is This Seat Taken?

8. Clarabelle and Millennium Falcon

9. Goofy's Closet

10. Mine Mission

11. Break Out

12. The Good Duck

13. Reminiscence Therapy

14. Into the Maw

15. Savareen Stand-Off

16. Good Thing You Were Listening

17. Testing Allegiance

18. Dice and Roll

19. Chicken in the Pot

Crazy Rich Asians - Tyler - This is really solid. A good "big love theme", mixed with some decent old style big band jazz, and some oriental stylings. I'm not a huge fan of Brian Tyler, I find his loud blockbuster / action scores to be very samesy, and anonymous outside of his main themes, but whenever he does a smaller non action film, where he's not required to use an RC-ish / modern style of music, the results can be pretty good and enjoyable. This score is no exception. 

A nice surprise in an already decent score summer. 

Lovely little score by a female composer I'd never heard before (I think this might actually be her debut work):

Decided to check it out after watching the (unexpectedly good) Netflix original film with my family a couple days ago. It's a somewhat cliched romance but it's quite well done. 

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I worked at bookstores from 2008 to 2011 and that book was a huuuge hit during that time

Interesting, it explains so much things.