What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is there anything a dedicated CD player would do that a Blu Ray player can't do?

I can think of these factors:

1. It can be nice / practical to have a dedicated audio player, be it CD audio or bluray audio.

2. For the same amount of money you should get better sound when buying an audio-only player.

3. It could be faster at startup. I really dislike players where you'll have to wait ten to twenty seconds from turning on the power until the CD starts playing!

4. You can always control the playback with your remote control. That is, you don't have to connect the player to a telly to get a menu.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll get it back one day.... when the kids are out of the house.....the last should be out by 2036....if we're lucky......

You should have kept the piano to mark your territory!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh god yes, my Sony blu ray player takes FOREVER to get up and running.

My current CD player is a few years short of ten years old (Denon), and that starts up much slower than my previous player from the early 90s (Sony).

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh god yes, my Sony blu ray player takes FOREVER to get up and running.

So does mine, Stu, and it's also a Sony. 

49 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Hellboy

Karol

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

To hell with it!

It's a hell of a score :)

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I did.  It's a....a....a play room now....

For what kind of games?

First Blood: Part II by Jerry Goldsmith: That Jerrald guy could write some terrific action material.

Dont' be ashame @Disco Stu. I listen to music in my office/bedroom, that's the only piece really "for me" in the house, where I can close the door and listen to music loudly or in my headphones, without being too disturbed. My husband is a gamer a talk (loudly) the entire weekend to strangers he'll never see, in our basement. My bedroom is on the ground floor, so at least, when I put loud music, I'm able not to hear him! 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Dont' be ashame @Disco Stu. I listen to music in my office/bedroom, that's the only piece really "for me" in the house, where I can close the door and listen to music loudly or in my headphones, without being too disturbed.

My husband is a gamer a talk (loudly) the entire weekend to strangers he'll never see, in our basement. 

Isn't that what you do, Bes...after a fashion..?

First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

Jaws 2 by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

Powder by Jerry Goldsmith

33 minutes ago, Richard said:

:music:  TFA. It's not half bad.

It's a very "busy" score.

It is also admittedly a very busy film.

Chicken Run - John Powell & Harry Gregson-Williams

I'd only listened once or twice before and it hadn't made too much of an impression (aside from the terrific "Main Title"). But yesterday I returned to it and this score really came alive for me. Brilliant stuff! That villainous theme has to be one of the best ever. It's menacing but at the same time almost makes me want to break out laughing. So delightful:

35 minutes ago, Will said:

Elmer? 

Yep. The main theme is obviously patterned after The Great Escape, wonderfully so. Still one of my favorite Powell and for that matter Gregson Williams scores, so much fun. The track Building The Crate used to get a ridiculous amount of play out of me. 

Batman by Danny Elfman

Listened to the album, and watched the movie.  Some good stuff in this one.  The main theme is just okay.  The Love Theme is nice.  But, to be sure, the writing is top notch and fits the film extraordinarily well.  Some great moments that you want to listen to again to catch some of the nuance. 

11 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Batman by Danny Elfman

Listened to the album, and watched the movie.  Some good stuff in this one.  The main theme is just okay.  The Love Theme is nice.  But, to be sure, the writing is top notch and fits the film extraordinarily well.  Some great moments that you want to listen to again to catch some of the nuance. 

The main theme's an old favorite, but I've never cared for the album.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I love it.  It’s essentially all just a Herrmann tribute and that’s fine by me

The animated series took that Herrmann influence and amped it up to the skyscrapers. Amazing that a family cartoon got the music it did. Back when companies would actually put an orchestra on the budget for a weekly animated show!

42 minutes ago, TGP said:

As good as Barry's?

Nah. Hartley's score is polar opposite in execution to Barry's for the most part, meaning that his score is quite subtle and doesn't call attention to itself. Like Barry Hartley also invokes the Medieval atmosphere with source music which is a bit less dramatic and more authentic. The score is melodic but often very polite as it mostly focuses on quietly supporting the drama and the dialogue heavy scenes which doesn't allow the little thematic ideas to develop very far. There is only one prominent theme for Eleanor and Henry which repeats at key moments throughout and culminates in the All That I Ever Loved where it, typically for the score, blossoms quite humbly but effectively. In all fairness there are also a few grander moments like Eleanor's arrival and "to Rome" material and some pomp and circumstance for a few court scenes, much like in Barry's score, but again it is somewhat less distinct even when Hartley brings out the choir. Still I have a soft spot for this music as I love the film and there are some great little dramatic moments in the 60 minute running time of the album.

The Nun by Abel Korzeniowski

Meh. Mostly a barrage of aleatoric noise, throat-singing, Batman-esque ostinati and occasional melancholic chords, both loud and quiet. While there are some passages that draw your attention in its sheer sonic scope, most of it still sounds like someone was just smashing a MIDI keyboard programmed to a Goldenthal-esque VST library of generic aleatoric horror sounds. There was a time when Korezeniowski sounded so promising, but he's largely been a disappointment in his recent work.

The Patriot by John Williams

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

Hook by John Williams

Total Recall by Jerry Goldsmith

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Lights Camera Music...Six decades...

Lovely selection of somewhat obscure Williams music given a nice romantic flourish by Lockheart and the Pops. Great live recording.

A lovely album indeed. I wish they did a follow-up title with more of the rarer, not so often performed JW concert suites.

Bewitching main theme (a bit like an 'academic' Elfman). Young cleverly alternates between gentle, waltzy string writing with harsh, experimental voice and choral attacks that almost recall old tape manipulations (i. e. Komeda, Rosemary's Baby) in their up-frontness. Nothing new for him (it's not as uncompromising as 2012's 'Sinister'), but in this genre he has soldiered on for about 30 years now and shows no real signs of slowing down.

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Bewitching main theme (a bit like an 'academic' Elfman). Young cleverly alternates between gentle, waltzy string writing with harsh, experimental voice and choral attacks that almost recall old tape manipulations (i. e. Komeda, Rosemary's Baby) in their up-frontness. Nothing new for him (it's not as uncompromising as 2012's 'Sinister'), but in this genre he has soldiered on for about 30 years now and shows no real signs of slowing down.

At first quick glance I thought you were talking about Victor Young's The Uninvited which as you can imagine was a bit baffling. :lol:

I listened to TLJ, the other day. Except from the new Rose theme, I'm afraid that can't tell it apart from TFA, but maybe that's deliberate, as TLJ is almost TFA pt.2.

This is my one gripe, about TLJ: it begins exactly where TFA leaves off.

It's the BENEATH THE POTA, of the STAR WARS saga, and because of this, I feel a little cheated, as there's no chance for the story to breathe, and flow, naturally; there's no "space" (no pun intended) between the episodes, and there's no chance for the characters to change and grow. 

Other than that, TLJ a good score. I don't think that it is, in any way, great late-flowering JW, but it's very listenable.