What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Fellowship of the Ring OST after reading the CR booklet while listening to all referenced material

Since Fellowship is the one to have a straightforward linear narrative, it lends itself to a chronological but heavily trimmed presentation, and this does pretty well at selecting the highlights to keep.

I like to think of the OSTs as an alternate to the CRs; The Rarities Volume I-III with the book disc being Volume IV; a bonus feature; the abridged edition with neat alternates to complement the "real deal". I even placed the discs on the rubber nubs and stowed the Blurays away into the OST cases in the back corner of the drawer, since it's going to be a while until I even have anything to play them on.

The Fury (LLL set OST album) by John Williams: I love the visceral orchestral horror histrionics in this one but especially for those mournful, tragic undertones. The Epilogue string adagio is such a classic.

Jurassic Park (LLL set) by John Williams: Film music perfection. Period.

Stepmom by John Williams: One of those perfect autumn scores with such warm nostalgic feel to it.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Fury (LLL set OST album) by John Williams: I love the visceral orchestral horror histrionics in this one but especially for those mournful, tragic undertones. The Epilogue string adagio is such a classic.

Was just listening to this one last night! Johnny should do horror more often (though who am I to give him career advice?).

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

WiMTQ0rm0TWu4_bNFVMd_Qub6coQM8priOZ9yxGs

My playlist that cuts out 20 minutes from the OST is a wonderful listening experience.  This is one of Desplat's best scores.

Cant see 

A70E971A-FF83-4238-BACB-DDA99E7411F7.png

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Weird.  Shows up fine for me.

It's The Light Between Oceans.

Mhmm, mightn’t be loading with my data or something. Dunno. 

Anyway, yeah, . Great score but the OST meanders a bit and probably does need a bit of trimming.

Batteries_not_included_ISC412.jpg

*batteries not included - James Horner

My curiosity won and i took Intrada's offer on a Horner score i shunned before - too much an inferior melange of 'Cocoon' and 'An American Tail', and by all aural accounts it still kind of is, but the expansion adds three long-ish key pieces that elevate it. 'Aerial Ballet' especially is a blissful piece brimming with the fluid orchestral energy that made Horner rightfully the go-to guy for this kind of fare (it's a mystery why he chose the erratic 'Night Visitors' over this on the old MCA album). I kind of dig the energetic swing and rhumba cues (with a heavy helping hand from that era's legend, Billy May), though Horner really flogged those in his kiddie scores. 'The Flying Lesson' and 'Out of the Ashes' add to the charm, though the score is still is mighty mickey-mousy and not really one of his best efforts ('The Land before Time' it ain't). But with scores today hardly offering this kind of unabashed musicality and colour, this good old kiddie Horner is just the right antidote.

The Ten Commandments (Elmer Bernstein)

I must be honest; what little bits of this score I've listened to in the past didn't impress me much. But after getting around to watching the film and giving the score a subsequent full listen, I have to take my hat off to Bernstein for what he achieved. It really is an impressive work, particularly in the second act. It is just a shame that it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's bedroom - I hope by some miracle that the whole thing gets re-recorded in a modern day studio.

Just now, Loert said:

I must be honest; what little bits of this score I've listened to in the past didn't impress me much. But after getting around to watching the film and giving the score a subsequent full listen, I have to take my hat off to Bernstein for what he achieved. It really is an impressive work, particularly in the second act. It is just a shame that it sounds like it was recorded in somebody's bedroom - I hope by some miracle that the whole thing gets re-recorded in a modern day studio.

I thought both discs 5 and 6 of the Intrada set (the 1960 and 1966 recordings, respectively) sounded fabulously at least.  Not full re-recordings obviously, but they do me fine.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought both discs 5 and 6 of the Intrada set (the 1960 and 1966 recordings, respectively) sounded fabulously at least.  Not full re-recordings obviously, but they do me fine.

Discs 5 and 6 are indeed satisfactory (disc 5 in particular works especially well in terms of album presentation and it's the one I listen to the most), but yeah, if you e.g. compare the film recordings of TC and Ben-Hur (recorded 3 years later), the latter sounds quite a bit better. Not only in terms of space but also in terms of performance - TC sounds very rough in places.

In fact, TC would be very fitting for a Live to Projection concert, as the music isn't technically that difficult to play, but it has the potential to make a massive impression if you get a big-enough orchestra to play it. The length might be an issue, though...

3 minutes ago, Loert said:

In fact, TC would be very fitting for a Live to Projection concert,

I would love this!  As one of the millions who grew up watching this movie every Easter, a LTP concert on Easter weekend would be irresistible.

It's a shame I found Goldsmith's Mummy fairly dull and Silvestri's Mummy Returns, while at least more entertaining, still lacking a solid hook to keep me coming back. I'd love a really good Egyptian score to have around, perhaps somewhere out there is one up my alley...

Oooooh. Well, well, well, what HAVE we here?

John Williams' Lincoln. Something about this score that pleases in a quiet sort of way. Personally, my favourite of his recent non-Star Wars works. 

And though not the whole score, revisiting parts of Time Machine. 

Mister Filby, do you think he'll ever return?

One cannot choose but wonder. You see, he has all the time in the world.

Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu - Front Mission Gun Hazard

Awesome

Yasunori Mitsuda and Nobuo Uematsu - Chrono Trigger

Legendary

Michael Giacchino - Bad Times at the El Royale

After listening again, I'm warming up to this somewhat.  There's maybe 30 minutes of interesting and unique material here, but the 75 minute OST album does the score a huge disservice by being so long and repetitive.    Oh well

Joe Kraemer - Comrade Detective

Liking this one more too.  The main theme is quite catchy!

Indeed, but I've taken notice to how scores that get super long albums tend to be the ones that get "There's some good stuff here, but not enough to sustain this 90-minute album release!" responses.

But agreed that too much is often better than too little in these cases.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Which is why I think its always best to release as much music as possible and then the listener can trim as desired! 

That's why I think we all like FYCs and that surprise iOS score for TLJ. Ideally we will get CRs for these new Star Wars films, but it's a long shot at this point.

Speaking of Star Wars music:

The Phantom Menace by John Williams

If someone were to ask me for a definition of Prequel brass, I would immediately go to TPM first. So many great moments!

35 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Not my singular favorite, but definitely up top!

Why is it your favorite, when measured against everything else?

Mostly because of A New Beginning. Well maybe it's my second favorite against Hook

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

I must say I kind of enjoyed this one.  Overall, an especially strong post-minimalist film score, rooted definitely in the contemporary soundworld, yet with enough singularity in approach and result to stay with the listener quite favorably.

To describe the score in a word: texture.  Hurwitz explores quite different soundscapes here, from ambient electronics, to the theremin, to somewhat eccentric recording techniques, classic strings, harp, of course, and, I'm happy to report, even woodwinds.  The elements are strung together more by threads of build up and release than by an especially strong musical narrative structure, leading to a somewhat repetitive score overall.  Which is not to say that there is not direction to all the electronic and orchestral colors, but that, in service to the film, the music goes places at a measured pace.   But, the thematic material that is present is exceptionally strong.  Of course, this is mainly the rather minimalistic harp-based figure found in tracks like Quarentine, and the rather understated heroic theme that is heard in its full glory in The Landing, an impactful cue to be sure.  Docking Waltz is wonderfully odd, probably the track where Hurwitz's different stylings come together best. 

Anyway, I rather liked it.  An Oscar nomination is definite, a win quite possible. 

And, Hurwitz is young, so it will be interesting to see how he continues to develop as a composer.  

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams: This is such a quintessential adventure score full of colour and energy and with a feel that it contains a whole world of its own. I hope we will get a truly complete version of this one day.

5 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

First Man by Justin Hurwitz

I must say I kind of enjoyed this one.  Overall, an especially strong post-minimalist film score, rooted definitely in the contemporary soundworld, yet with enough singularity in approach and result to stay with the listener quite favorably.

It's much too sketchy. Would have benefitted from a well-chosen 20 minutes release because everything the score has to offer neatly fits in there, the rest is padding. 

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams: This is such a quintessential adventure score full of colour and energy and with a feel that it contains a whole world of its own. I hope we will get a truly complete version of this one day.

Isn't the Concord enough? What's missing?

While I'm fine with the last release of that score as is, it would have been nice to have that short percussion cue before the bridge climax. Would have made a nice calm before the storm. As is, even on my shortened playlist, going from Mine Car Chase to the bridge finale is a bit much in terms of constant action with no breather. I don't remember any other missing music though.

2 minutes ago, Norma's Corpse said:

I forgot about that bridge build up music. Eh, can do without.

Yeah, hardly devastating. Just would have been a minor cherry on top, build-up before the finale and all that. The only reason I remember it is because of "Prepare to meet Kali in Hell!" and "He no nuts, he crazy!". 

6 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

An Oscar nomination is definite, a win quite possible. 

Nah. Though I don't really know what would win this year. Not much that's noteworthy this year, even by Academy standards.

Two Towers OST 

Now this is a different beast, in that it creates little pieces from similarly themed material - like Breath of Life near the end collecting Aragorn's river journey and return instead of those being scattered throughout. It's less chronological and a bit more conceptual than Fellowship. It still manages to select highlights to keep really well. I like it.

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

Ooh, yes. Lots of "autumnal colors", there.

Angela's Ashes is my personal favourite John Williams score in lieu of it being a perfect autumn score. Perfect fit the overcast day with a dash of grey sea in the horizon.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

Angela's Ashes is my personal favourite John Williams score in lieu of it being a perfect autumn score. Perfect fit the overcast day with a dash of grey sea in the horizon.

Its amazing how touvevjust managed to describe Limerick city. 

8 hours ago, publicist said:

It's much too sketchy. Would have benefitted from a well-chosen 20 minutes release because everything the score has to offer neatly fits in there, the rest is padding. 

You may just have a point there.

Nevertheless, the main cues are definitely sticking with me.  Been humming that heroic theme.  

10 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

You may just have a point there.

Nevertheless, the main cues are definitely sticking with me.  Been humming that heroic theme.  

I would rate it as one top 2018 achievement - mainly due to a lack of competition. It may be attributable to Chapelle's filmmaking style but from what i've heard of Hurwitz he's one of the new kids who has catchy ideas but not really a musical vision. The (sometimes very beautiful) cues just hang there,  the rest is background mood. Which is OK, but an award for best music should merit more a bigger concept, or arc.