What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

That's only his 'bumbling comic theme' he used a few times, it's pure coincidence in that more tranquil reading. I quite like the additional cues (Aerial Ballet, Flying Lession' Babies buzz NY), it's rare enough these days that additional material turns up substantial pieces that are better than the OST material (most of 90's Goldsmith excepted).

Same swing pieces...man, if Horner were just a bit less lazy this stuff would be much higher regarded. The swing numbers: most people don't have affection for them but they are perfectly arranged beauties. For 'Cocoon 2', the swing pieces are actually the only cues you *should* keep.

1 minute ago, TGP said:

I did actually.  Did everyone else think it stunk?

General consensus was that it was a bit underwhelming.  Jay thought so too, but he might have become a bit more positive about it after another listen.

The opening suite is great and there's some wonderful highlights throughout. But overall the album is way too repetitive. 75 minutes is a lot for a score like this!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The opening suite is great and there's some wonderful highlights throughout. But overall the album is way too repetitive. 75 minutes is a lot for a score like this!

Yeah the album is definitely overkill.  I'm relieved to hear that it won't be a bore for me in the film though which I still have to see. 

37 minutes ago, TGP said:

Yeah the album is definitely overkill.  I'm relieved to hear that it won't be a bore for me in the film though which I still have to see. 

As one of the douchey Giacchino critics here on JWFan, I'm happy to see him get something different for a change.

He's a guy that gets it so right for me in his scores for The Lost World video game and Space Mountain at Disneyland, but then I listen to the majority of his other stuff and it's just so bland. I guess if there's nothing else to listen to, but as long as we have a choice, like Harry Osborn, I'll choose to listen to better music by superior composers.

A.I by John Williams

@Nick Parker wins.

The Reunion is on and I'm feeling my eyes water.

I also love For Always the more I hear it (though preferring the solo version without Josh Groban).

Surprisingly really enjoying the new Goosebumps score! Shame it lacks a great end titles cue like Elfman's, as it's otherwise a better score, I'd say. Better action riffing, at the least (which was never Elfman's forte).

Got round to listening to Legends of the Fall (Horner) and the first Harry Potter. So tired, the latter put me in mind of Hook and some of the prequels (Quidditch Match shades of Zam Chase from Attack of the Clones) and the former, in "Off to War" made me think of Barry's John Dunbar Theme. Legends of the Fall on the quiet is a beautiful score. First score I listened to fresh of Horner that didn't immediately summon other scores to mind. 

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown - Vince Guaraldi (Varese Sarabande, 2018)

Word of warning about this Varese album just released.  It is very clearly just the music stem from the TV show audio mix.  So there are awkward edits, abrupt endings, and even many instances of sound effects.

I mean, I guess it's better than nothing?  I assume the session tapes are long destroyed/lost?

Selections from three lush 1970's Williams scores for me today in anticipation of Dracula:

Jane Eyre

Family Plot

The Fury

And in menu this evening we have my very first listen of The Wind and the Lion which I picked up from post office this morning. :)

Karol

If you're looking for great, but less well-known Halloweenish music, look no further than the wild score for Dementia from 1955 by George Antheil, one of America's greatest composers.

I've never seen the film, but it's notable in that it contains no dialogue.  The story is told entirely with visuals, sound effects, and music.

The Wind and the Lion. Wow, it isn't a score I expected at all. It sounds like a Klingon adventure in the Middle East but with a certain Golden Age sweep. Sometimes it feels like Rozsa score. I can definitely see where some of The Mummy originated from. What I find interesting about it is that Goldsmith manages to be both rough and lush at the same time. The ethnic instruments are well integrated into the symphonic writing. I like this one and will be definitely revisiting it!

Karol

What he essentially does here (in the wilder cues) is take moroccan/african idioms/rhythms and transforms them for a standard western symphonic ensemble (plus percussion, of course), hence the wildness. After i saw the movie i realized how brilliantly he musically realized the wind (Connery) and the lion (Keith) as different side of the same coin (both share the same DNA, the american the wide open chords, the berber the archaic ones).

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Wind and the Lion. Wow, it isn't a score I expected at all. It sounds like a Klingon adventure in the Middle East but with a certain Golden Age sweep. Sometimes it feels like Rozsa score. I can definitely see where some of The Mummy originated from. What I find interesting about it is that Goldsmith manages to be both rough and lush at the same time. The ethnic instruments are well integrated into the symphonic writing. I like this one and will be definitely revisiting it!

Karol

Ray Bradbury was so moved by this score that he wrote a short story to it, and sent Jerry Goldsmith a thank-you letter.

23 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Nightmare Before Christmas by Danny Elfman

Such a colorful, vivid, on-the-ball score.

:wub:

Almost sounds like it doesn't belong in a film.

Still in the spooky mood, tried listening to some later Elfman today...

Wow, Goosebumps is really boring. No energy whatsoever. I need to put on some good Danny to wash away this dullness. Is Sleepy Hollow worthwhile?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Live in Concert - John Williams

Jane Eyre - John Williams

The Hollywood Sound - John Williams & The LSO

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

Pure gothic noise...and that's praise, in case I need to assure that! I do wish I could make out if there's any themes here, but the atmosphere and bombastic hellishness more than won me over. 

I mainly found it odd in that usually Elfman has a good main theme that hooks me, followed by uninteresting underscore. Here, it's good atmospheric underscore, great gothic action and I couldn't make out a particular theme! 

Still dug it anyhow, looking forward to hearing it again later.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I mainly found it odd in that usually Elfman has a good main theme that hooks me, followed by uninteresting underscore. Here, it's good atmospheric underscore, great gothic action and I couldn't make out a particular theme! 

Still dug it anyhow, looking forward to hearing it again later.

Oh yeah, and once you find it, you'll hear it _every_where in the score.

At :37

There's other motifs and such throughout, but this is the main seed of the score. 

Shucks, haven't listened to this since high school. Dear Philip Glass: please return Danny Elfman safely back to us. We'll give you whatever you want. We miss him. 

The only downside is that the CD was scratched and gave out around "Final Confrontation" (what is it with Elfman and his love for that cue title?), so I'll either have to buy a new copy or buy it on iTunes.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

The only downside is that the CD was scratched and gave out around "Final Confrontation" (what is it with Elfman and his love for that cue title?), so I'll either have to buy a new copy or buy it on iTunes.

He actually started that as a statement on the conformity and predictability of the studio film industry.

Empire of the Sun by John Williams

Magnificent.  I subjectively maintain that the kind of "flying theme" here is maybe better than E.T.'s.  Also, the OST here is too short.  Pity.  For me, this is the first score where Williams started to, if you can say it, become rather self-consciously mature.  Having reached great heights in film scoring and popular culture, he started to think a bit about legacy.  Exultante Justi is indeed a serious work and reflects this.

E.T. by John Williams

One of these scores that blows you away every time you here it.  More than magnificent.  Stunning how each cue flows so well structurally and narratively (in general) into the next.  Williams's harmonic palette here deserves especial mention.