What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by John Williams

I'm not a huge fan on Harry Potter in just about every aspect and I really never gave Williams my full attention on this score. Today I finally decided to give it a good and real listen. I must say, I love it. I can see why people are excited about this apparent expanded release. It's a really, really good score. Hedwig's Theme is great (used quite a bit, but that's not a problem) but much of the other material, thematic and not, is what really sticks with me. Great stuff.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (OST) by John Williams

I don't know why I'm listening to the OST when I have a more complete edit, but I must say that as far as album presentation and Star Wars OST's go, this covers nearly all the bases. Most prime material is right there (flaw- no Holdo's Resolve) and the score itself is quite good-no, very good. The isolated score and FYC do more justice, but in terms of cramming material into an OST, this album does it right.

The Adventures of Tintin by John Williams

My muse of the month. I discovered the film and score for the first time a few weeks ago and it was an instant love. I'd very soon like to see a sequel. Snowy's Theme is so darn magnificent. It's Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, and Rimsky-Korsakov all at once, but Williams still makes it his own. The entire score has such a great feel that we don't get too often in scores. It's an immediate go-to to get my spirits up.

The Book Thief by John Williams: The first snow landed here in Helsinki yesterday and this score somehow seemed like appropriate for the mood. So lovely.

Suite from Memoirs of a Geisha for Cello and Orchestra by John Williams: Needed a quick Memoirs fix and this suite is a great 25 minute summation of the whole thing.

3 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Out of curiosity, what's the popular consensus with the Hellboy scores? I'd be surprised but intrigued if Beltrami's had any fans.

The first one is perhaps the best Beltrami score, period. I have had it on pretty steady rotation on my playlist ever since the Varese Deluxe Edition came out. Elfman's sequel score seems somehow less inspired despite the colourful source material.

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Well anyway, maybe I'll try out Rabbit & Rogue...?

You should! 

I loved to ear ET yesterday with the dialogues and sounds effect, I think I will encode some of my DVD to rip the audio of them to and make FLACs.

Starting with the 3 HP.

It with allow me to correctly remember the music that goes with which scene!

Theodore Shapiro's Ghostbusters

Rewatched some of the film on netflix and the music for the end sequences particularly stood out for me. CD on its way.

His heroic theme kept reminding me of something, then it finally came to me - Bates' Guardians theme.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by John Williams: Somehow this score feels most appropriate for this time of the year. I guess it is the memories of the movie coming out in autumn of 2001. Anyway the score is a lovely continuation of Williams' fantasy scoring style of 1990's with such broad splashes of orchestral colour, several big themes and magnificent set pieces all done with such supreme confidence. Magical is the word for it. 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

No, sold that as I never listened to the whole album. It's Edward Scissorhands! :)

Well that is not bad either.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, sold that as I never listened to the whole album. It's Edward Scissorhands! :)

Have you got the Intrada album?

Karol

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, but I've been considering it. But is it really worth getting? - there doesn't seem to much additional music.

Well, there's more of it but it doesn't change your perception of the score. But it's now out of print anyway. Not sure if you can find a decently priced copy.

Karol

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Well, there's more of it but it doesn't change your perception of the score. But it's now out of print anyway. Not sure if you can find a decently priced copy.

Karol

I'm glad I didn't buy it, as you just confirmed my suspicions about it. :)

Anyway...

Dracula: The Deluxe Edition

I'm currently ripping the audio from all the DVD I have from the movies which got a "Live to projection" treatment so far.

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Harry Potter 3 first movies
- Home Alone
- Jaws
- Jurassic Park
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Star Wars 4-5-6

As I don't go to these "concerts"... it's my way of focusing on the music really played in the movies, and to remember more exactly which cue play on which scene!

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by James Newton Howard

Meh. The best parts are the occasional Tchaikovsky flourishes, but even most of those renditions are more pedestrian than I had hoped. The underscore, while pleasant, sounds mostly like JNH on auto-pilot fantasy mode. Maleficent, this is not.

This kind of thing would probably have fit Williams like a glove. Or someone else who has a real holistic understanding of the constructs and framework of the source material in order to rework it in a more interesting contemporary setting, rather than just obligatory nods and references.

Oh well. Maybe the upcoming Fantastic Beasts score will be an improvement.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by James Newton Howard

Meh. The best parts are the occasional Tchaikovsky flourishes, but even most of those renditions are more pedestrian than I had hoped. The underscore, while pleasant, sounds mostly like JNH on auto-pilot fantasy mode. Maleficent, this is not.

This kind of thing would probably have fit Williams like a glove. Or someone else who has a real holistic understanding of the constructs and framework of the source material in order to rework it in a more interesting contemporary setting, rather than just obligatory nods and references.

Oh well. Maybe the upcoming Fantastic Beasts score will be an improvement.

As we discussed in the nether realm, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment.

I really was hoping for James Newton Howard's "Fantasia on Themes by Tchaikovsky" which isn't really what we got.  Ah well.  As you say, we must look to the horizon.

Which is a shame, because JNH probably has the chops for it, more than many of his colleagues. But he's very much a studio composer nowadays. Serve the picture first, music second I guess.

There are some nice balletic sequences but in the second half, when the perfunctory 'action' starts it begins being a purely mechanical exercise. Nothing in it sticks, so i guess the movie is pretty lame, too.

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

As far as the action goes, it is actually better than Maleficent. In terms of overall concept and themes, not really. But I like it.

The Nutcracker thing?

Warlock is one of the weirder Goldsmith works in my book, but that theme gets stuck in my head every now and then. Has an odd gloomy atmosphere that brings me to revisit it when in the mood for something weird. 

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm currently ripping the audio from all the DVD I have from the movies which got a "Live to projection" treatment so far.

PAL Dvds?

Well, you're listening to the music one semitone higher in the wrong speed. (unless they are NTSC)

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Hey Bes, we need you in the Discord. Justin's fiddling with his electric razor again!

Wow.

I listened to the audio dvd rip of Chamber of secrets today, it’s been a while. A part from Fawkes superb theme....

Of the three JW score, is it the movie with the less amount of music?

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but I only mean some action pieces in second half. 

They are lighter but as 'weightless'. I have the suspicion that the movie is stuffed with visual opulence but no real story or characters to root for. This is what it sounds like.

This is more like it:

The Elfman by Danny Wolfman: One of my favourite Elfman scores that has surprising understated horror elegance mixed with brooding doomladen romance and relentless energetic action drive.

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) by Howard Shore: I love the intimate chamber orchestra dimensions of this work with very lovely choral passages and cello solos. Familiar Shore-isms appear frequently but not enough to be of detriment to the entire score and the whole affair has a mournful pensive air to it I find quite compelling. Definitely an autumn score.

:music:A History of Violence by Howard Shore