What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its brilliant and accomplished im sure. It just never clicked with me.

It happens.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Took me a while to appreciate it. I owe Peio a great deal in opening up this score for me

It was great to see him at the dinner, even if for a brief handshake and hello. I wish he had come to the after concert drinks so we might have talked more.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park by John Williams

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

Well, this is...annoying. When I discovered the disc scratch that happened right around "Final Confrontation", I had the oh-so-brilliant idea of simply buying that one cue from iTunes and blending it with the rest, since the rest of the CD burned properly!....but wow, the sound quality on the iTunes copy is abominable. I guess I'll have to buy the album on CD again someday. 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Because this is one of the most Severinist scores I've heard in years. In terms of genre, tone, atmosphere, that choir, that captivating main theme...It's like this was made for me. This score has earned my addiction. I take breaks, weeks, months apart...then my ears get hooked again from the score's first few seconds alone which set the stage so divinely. It scares and amuses me how much I'm not sick of listening to this yet.

18 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Because this is one of the most Severinist scores I've heard in years. In terms of genre, tone, atmosphere, that choir, that captivating main theme...It's like this was made for me. This score has earned my addiction. I take breaks, weeks, months apart...then my ears get hooked again from the score's first few seconds alone which set the stage so divinely. It scares and amuses me how much I'm not sick of listening to this yet.

I'm not falling for this!

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial by John Williams

Ahhhhh.... So refreshing. It's a break from all the action packed and excited music and a nice touch of rousing themes and gentle melodies. This score is just pure beauty. I don't listen to it a lot so I cannot say I've overplayed it. I'm at the perfect point with it right now. And its effectiveness in the film...! :D

I listened to the Audio Rip of the Jaws DVD.... wow!!!

Wen they do it in live projection, the orchestra have many many many moments to fall sleep between two "wu-wu..."

😂

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm not falling for this!

14 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I..I'm not trying to trick you? 

STEFAN COSMAN, KASEY IS NOT TRYING TO TRICK YOU!

He's trying to help you.

Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams: It has been a while but boy this is such a tremendous score from start to finish from the a-thematic atmospheric jungle trek opening to the thunderous Ark theme dominated finale of Biblical proportions. And while the Raiders March has been played to death in the intervening decades in its concert suite form, you can't deny its iconic power as it appears throughout this and the rest of the Indy scores in varied permutations. Just like Lukas Kendall mentions on the DCC Compact Classics release liner notes, it is a rollicking symphonic hit akin to a pop song but such a perfect swaggering main theme for our adventuring archaeologist Indiana Jones and an earworm of the best kind, ingrained in the memories of all who have seen the globe trotting escapades of the man in fedora on the silver screen. One of those perfect immortal and indelible combinations of character and music where it seems like one couldn't exist without the other.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

They got a pop band to write the incidental music for the Harry Potter play?  I didn't know that.  Disappointing.

Are we sure it was David Yates that screwed Williams out of the later Potter films?

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The OST is really all you need - Goldsmith compiled an excellent 45-minute program - but since the recent complete set is cheap and in wide circulation it's a viable alternative. 

I didn’t care for this score much until I heard the OST playlist. Complete score draaaaaags...

Sleepers by John Williams

Decided to give the score my first listen, seeing as how you guys have been discussing it.  A pretty good score, nothing earth-shattering, but I find some of the orchestral material to be quite interesting, well-executed.  The electronics are not as engaging for me as JFK, but still quite impressive considering they are not really in JWs comfort zone.  What the score is missing are two or three thematic identities for the listener to latch onto.  I think if Williams paired the varied textures of the score with variations on a couple of strong themes the result would be more than striking.  

23826236_10156097033613755_6250745334173

A friend borrowed me this set almost a year before but my extreme dislike of this particular score prevented me to give it any further consideration. Now i finally waded through hours of what i consider - at best - a collection of Horner familiarities though done in an unbecomingly clumsy 'popular' style and sadly it didn't do much to alter my initial perception. 

My main problem isn't so much particular cues - some of them are fine - but that the thematic material just doesn't cut it for me: the main theme proper (played over the front titles) is a generic irish folk tune, which is utilized almost exclusively as a reflective new age lament, and to say its whinging vocalization grates by the time the movie has ended is an understatement. Horner's well-known gift for melodies is fully intact, of course, so the love theme (or Rose's theme) probably rightly became a late 90's hymn (a 'Dr. Zhivago'-like muzak), again its didactic pop-oriented chords and shaping just turns me off - pop per se can be a wonderful thing, this kind of pop - which i label the 'Last Christmas' variety - makes my teeth ache.

Which leaves us with the slim debris, of which the ship's theme, indeed one of Horner's more lovely nautical creations, remains the best but to my never-ending annoyance it's intervowen with the score's most galling feature, namely incredibly limp syncopations shouted by an asthmatic synth chorus that feels like half-assed Vangelis. It's never more apparent than here that James Cameron's incredible expertise in the technical departments of moviemaking finds no match in the more sensuous arts of music - Horner never attempted such folly again, so it's rather obvious were the 'inspiration' came from.

The scores fares best - relatively speaking - in its robust action scoring (as usual for Horner, it cannot deny a heavy russian influence in its brawny brass writing) and Horner compensates himself with a few harsh modernisms (best represented in the new 'Trapped on D-Deck') that culminate in an orchestral maelstrom when the ship is finally going down. Though there is quite a lot of such material, much of it relies on successions of rather short ostinatos, making it very scene-specific - a far cry form Horner's best symphonically-minded creations.

Which brings us to 'Titanic's ultimate tragedy, namely how the name James Horner is forever chained to its compromised musical hodgepodge of ideas, the best of which were utilized in much better form in other, less famous scores (probably best exemplified in 'Perfect Storm', a musical apology of sorts). Or, to put it more succinct, the aesthetic challenges of 'Titanic's score could have been handled by many lesser musical talents, what we still need to hear is how a real James Horner score for this would have sounded like. 

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

23826236_10156097033613755_6250745334173

A friend borrowed me this set almost a year before but my extreme dislike of this particular score prevented me to give it any further consideration. Now i finally waded through hours of what i consider - at best - a collection of Horner familiarities though done in an unbecomingly clumsy 'popular' style and sadly it didn't do much to alter my initial perception. 

My main problem isn't so much particular cues - some of them are fine - but that the thematic material just doesn't cut it for me: the main theme proper (played over the front titles) is a generic irish folk tune, which is utilized almost exclusively as a reflective new age lament, and to say its whinging vocalization grates by the time the movie has ended is an understatement. Horner's well-known gift for melodies is fully intact, of course, so the love theme (or Rose's theme) probably rightly became late 90's 'Dr. Zhivago' muzak, again its didactic pop-oriented chords and shaping just turns me off - pop per se can be a wonderful thing, this kind of pop - which i label the 'Last Christmas' variety - makes my teeth ache.

Which leaves us with the slim debris, of which the ship's theme, which is indeed one of Horner's more lovely nautical creations, remains the best but to my never-ending annoyance it's intervowen with the score's most annoying feature, namely incredibly limp syncopations shouted by an asthmatic synth chorus that feels like half-assed Vangelis. It's never more apparent than here that James Cameron's incredible expertise in the technical departments of moviemaking finds no match in the more sensuous arts of music - Horner never attempted such folly again, so it's rather obvious were the 'inspiration' came from.

The scores fares best - relatively speaking - in its robust action scoring (as usual for Horner, it cannot deny a heavy russian influence in its brawny brass writing) and Horner compensates himself with a few harsh modernisms (best represented in the new 'Trapped on D-Deck') that culminate in an orchestral maelstrom when the ship is finally going down. Though there is quite a lot of such material, much of it relies on successions of rather short ostinatos, making it very scene-specific - a far cry form Horner's best symphonically-minded creations.

Which brings us to 'Titanic's ultimate tragedy, namely how the name James Horner is forever chained to its compromised musical hodgepodge of ideas, the best of which were utilized in much better form in other, less famous scores (probably best exemplified in 'Perfect Storm', a musical apology of sorts). Or, to put it more succinct, the aesthetic challenges of 'Titanic's score could have been handled by many lesser musical talents, what we still need to hear is how a real James Horner score for this would have sounded like. 

Pub, I find myself agreeing with every single word, especially the final paragraph.

:music: The Wind and the Lion while taking a morning stroll on the beach. It ain't half bad, this score. It's moving up the list of my favourite Gorgeous music, and fast! :)

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Ah I was assuming you were talking about the theme that opens the track. Which I like very much. Shame it also always sounds the same.

That is the ship's - or seafaring - theme. It's the one that feels like a Horner theme (plus that lovely motif that pops up now and then next to it).

Legend by Jerry Goldsmith: I am not a huge fan of the synths in this one (Jerry in his 1980's synth experiment phase) but the orchestral scoring is top notch stuff.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: Perhaps the strongest of the three Hobbit scores although I keep switching between this and AUJ for the first place quite often depending on my mood. At the moment this score reigns.