What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: Perhaps the strongest of the three Hobbit scores although I keep switching between this and AUJ for the first place quite often depending on my mood. At the moment this score reigns. 

As it should! It features the most novel and thoughtful musical contributions to the Middle-Earth lexicon from the Hobbit films.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: Perhaps the strongest of the three Hobbit scores although I keep switching between this and AUJ for the first place quite often depending on my mood. At the moment this score reigns. 

It is also the one for me. So much new thematic material introduced too! Tauriel's theme, Laketown theme, Smaug's theme and a slew of others, plus returning material wonderfully woven together. It's golden!

:music:Troy by James Horner. I am probably one of the few people (three at most) on this planet who was actually happy to have it released in expanded form, or to even enjoy it in any form. It's a very bare-boned work, sure, but I find there is still more meat on the bone here than there is on some other famous "rushed" works he did. Plus the relative simplicity actually works well for the stark landscape as presented on screen. And the ancient brutality if it all. And yes, this is partially thanks to the danger motif assault. ;)

What I find funny, and bit disappointing, about the expanded album is that there is probably about 70+ minutes of orchestral music in there and pretty much all of it was already presented on the original album already. The remaining 45 minutes are mostly a collection of what one might call "mock up" synth cues with some woodwind/percussion/vocal overlays. Horner was originally only supposed to write 75 minutes anyway. So I bet he couldn't be bothered to record the rest. :lol:

In other words, if you like this score at all you'll probably be better off buying the original album.

(Notice I didn't even mention the song which is the single worst thing he ever wrote)

Karol

2 hours ago, publicist said:

I like

One of my Goldsmith favorites, probably because I also really liked the movie, having first seen it as a 15-year old kid. Suchet was a great villain! Also love the long overdue deluxe edition of the score which finally came out in 2016 (Varese Sarabande).

3 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

James Horner should have scored Highlander!

Are you 'avin' a giraffe?!

Kamen's score is great.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

John Williams - Stanley and Iris (expanded set)

😍

Wow. It's strange to think that I first bought this score, over 28 (!) years ago.

On the list:

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial by John Williams

Planet Earth II by Jacob Shea, Jasha Klebe and Hans Zimmer

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies by Howard Shore

SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Alien Resurrection - John Frizzell (LLL)

This score is widely disliked isn't it?  If so, I don't get it.  I haven't seen the movie in 15 years, but I remember liking this score in context.  Revisited it this morning and discovered that I think it's really good.

It's dark, moody, always engaging, never boring.  The main title theme is really cool, I wish it returned more in the score but it gets a few nice reprisals.  Two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.  I wish the LLL was still in print so I could listen to it outside of Youtube.

Also, if this is meant as a quick-punch callback to Goldsmith, well played Mr. Frizzell.

I actually listened to this for the first time yesterday. Was thoroughly impressed with it. Only bought it to complete the Alien set but it turns out it's a fun listen.

I prefer it too. It's the more refined cousin of Dracula. Though its energy pales a little in comparison.

The "siren call", as you put it, is the real winner:

I remember there being a beautiful cor anglais statement of it somewhere, but I can't find it.