What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore

With these scores, you simply cannot pick a favourite. Every time I listen to one I say it's the one. That's just how darn good these are. Thematically rich and musically narrating, it's very, very good. Desolation of Smaug next.

Silliness in a recent thread aside, I should try listening to those Hobbit/Rings scores one of these days. I’ve never found Shore particularly interesting, but who knows, if he was almost worthy of scoring a King King picture, then surely I’ll find something to like in those Hobbit soundtracks! It’s like, what, three hours of music altogether? Statistically speaking, I’m bound to find something to my interest.

Beyond the Poseidon Adventure - Jerry Fielding

First time listening to this...and I didn't even know that Poseidon Adventure had a sequel...haven't seen the movie yet. I enjoy the score, it's interesting, engaging, intricate. I like this style of writing. 

10 hours ago, publicist said:

I don't know if 'The Ninth Gate' is a better score than Kilar's 'Dracula' but i sure like it better. Polanski's droll mystery horror, which opulent european canvas makes it similar to Nick Roeg's equally cryptic 'Don't Look Now', is an ideal springboard for Kilar's operatic, elegant minimalist style. A flighty, fateful main theme, a seductive siren call, a bolero and a jaunty, Ghostbuster-y ragtime idea for Johnny Depp's detective (a big wink not too take it too seriously) serve as the main ingredients and while they not necessarily carry an almost 60-minute long album there's still enough meat on them bones to make it one of 1999 more outstanding achievements.

A very neat score that one.

Positively regal!

Anyway:

Nixon by John Williams

Solid score.  Elegant, brooding, some fine writing.  Impactful, as well.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, but, then, I'm in kind of a brooding mood as of late.  As for the electronics, they are integrated well enough, but I feel they were a tad redundant.

18 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Shape of Water by Alexandre KER-SPLAT

Anyway, why this got the Oscar is beyond me, but it's a pleasant enough listen once you edit the album down from 77 minutes to 40. 

I never caught on with this score. Also confused by the Oscar win. This year should be interesting best-score wise.

Just now, kaseykockroach said:

I assume it'll go to Balfe's Mission: Impossible and that neither Solo or Fallen Kingdom will even be nominated. 

Gotta mentally prepare for lamest case scenario, ya know?

Best Score Oscars go to prestige dramas now.  None of that has a chance.

The Shining and A Clockwork Orange, by Wendy Carlos :music:

Absolutely haunting scores that are tremendously effective in their respective films.

***** out of ***** for both

For some reason I'm sticking with mostly with Horner while enjoying my holiday. Think I've gone through the majority of his stuff in my collection over the past few days. For some reason his romantic and melodramatic gargantuan cues work well during long walks alongside the beach. One of the titles on today's menu was...

:music: Windtalkers. It's not exactly top-tier Horner but the reviews at the time of its release were probably bit too harsh. The main theme is a bit of a weak soup and only takes flight in its final big statement. And yes, the album is too long (surprise!). But there is about half an hour of really solid snare-ripping action music that I find myself returning to. Here's one of them.

Karol

10 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Positively regal!

Anyway:

Nixon by John Williams

Solid score.  Elegant, brooding, some fine writing.  Impactful, as well.  Thoroughly enjoyed it, but, then, I'm in kind of a brooding mood as of late.  As for the electronics, they are integrated well enough, but I feel they were a tad redundant.

Hunh.  It's one of the few Williams scores I find the electronics really add something.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Had an impromptu Americana Williams listening party in the Discord today.

Amistad

"The Long Road to Justice" is so good.

The Fury - John Williams & LSO [LLL remastered OST]

Listened to this last night, and boy I love this album.  I've seen the movie but when I listen I can't help picturing dark mansions overlooking stormy seas and doomed lovers gone mad, that Edgar Allan Poe kinda stuff.

Also, as @Bespin so eloquently put it to me recently, in terms of remasters:

Matessino + LSO = fireworks_1f386.png

Murphy + LSO = 💩

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I was just listening to The Fury last night! Are you following me?..

Why are you asking? Are you Furious?

6 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

No, but I'm Fast!

I have noticed.

Surprisingly varied Barry thriller romance, pending between lyricism and foreboding in that inimitable Barry way. Shades of mid-80's Bond, especially 'Living Daylights' make a welcome appearance. I like it.

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8 (OST)

Easily one of my favorite scores of the year.  Fun from beginning to end!

Xenoblade Chroncles 2 - Torna: The Golden Country (Gamerip)

Still don't like it.  Unfortunate.

John Williams - Dracula (Deluxe Edition)

Gothic fun

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (OST)

Glorious!  Like coming home to an old friend after 2 1/2 weeks without listening to a drop of it!

Star Wars: Clone Wars by Kevin Kiner

Contemporary and eclectic as far as Star Wars music goes. It's for an animated TV show though, so it passes but it wasn't a great listen.