What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Dear me, that is bit too dramatic wouldn't you say?

Karol

That is very much a pro-Trump film, by the way, unless I'm misinterpreting your post.  It posits that he's the only one who can save us.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

How is it?

I leave that research to you.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

A movie called "Death of a Nation", with a poster juxtaposing Lincoln and Trump's faces,  with track titles like "Jewish Problem"...

What the hell kind of movie is this!?

The answer to your question is to just put on the glorious Star Trek Generations soundtrack and pretend this conversation never happened.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

The answer to your question is to just put on the glorious Star Trek Generations soundtrack and pretend this conversation never happened.

I...entered a realm where I do not belong....

18 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

A movie called "Death of a Nation", with a poster juxtaposing Lincoln and Trump's faces,  with track titles like "Jewish Problem"...

What the hell kind of movie is this!?

A Dinesh D'Souza crapfest that posits today's Democrats are the ideological heirs to the Nazis and Trump is the only one who can save us from them...

Decent score, though.

I should be clear, I don't personally care if Dennis McCarthy is conservative or a Republican.  But adding his name to a project like that, with fringe crackpot conspiracy theories and idiotic reasoning, regardless of political affiliation, is very sad to me.  It's everything that Trek stands against.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I should be clear, I don't personally care if Dennis McCarthy is conservative or a Republican.  But adding his name to a project like that, with fringe crackpot conspiracy theories and idiotic reasoning, regardless of political affiliation, is very sad to me.  It's everything that Trek stands against.

Maybe if he scores a Michael Moore documentary, that will swing him so hard to the other side that he'll end up in the middle?

Kingdom of Heaven by Harry Gregson-Williams: One of Harry's best with surprisingly subdued exploration of heroism in his music that hones more in on the spiritual qualities that lie under the surface of the Medieval epic. That is not to say that there isn't big epic music here but I gravitate toward the more intimate material in the score as well as the great choral writing where the composer's own musical roots are strongly showcased.

The Nativity Story by Mychael Danna: Christmas-time is coming so this score is getting a lot of plays. Gorgeous melding of many styles and historical musical references into a perfect whole and the choral and soloist work gets a special mention.

Eastern Promises by Howard Shore: This would be perfect music for a rainy autumn evening as it oozes both Shore's own brooding style and Slavic melancholy all tied around the sinewy elegant violin solos of Nicola Benedetti. Classy stuff and the album is just the right length for this type of material.

Alien by Jerry Goldsmith: A tremendous score full of wonderful atmosphere. Goldsmith expertly draws the listener in through the deceptive Romantic opening and quickly down to dread, angst, nail biting suspense and, pardon the pun, alien musical landscapes with unique instrumentation and very meticulously executed musical concepts and ideas. While it is a score I don't listen to all that often, every time I do, I am reminded of the musico-dramatic genius of this composer.

Atlantis - The Lost Empire by James Newton Howard: The early 2000's Disney animations brought always something interesting out of JNH and Atlantis is no exception. A few obligatory Mickey Mousings aside (it is Disney after all) the composer treats this almost as a live action big budget fantasy film and scores it big, bold and colorful. There are usual allusions to world music, even a dash of Enya-like vocals here and there giving this piece a unique flavour. What sounds like gamelan and all other kinds of twinkling percussion instruments are here to reflect the fantastical locale of the lost Atlantis and its spirits, and awe-filled choral and soloist moments that up the musical stakes considerably toward the finale all wrapped in beautiful and accessible melodic content from the heroic adventure theme to the slowly building rapturous religioso/mysterioso choral chant for the ancestors of Atlantis and Kida.

It is all highly direct and melodic stuff and follows the musical vocabulary well established in the years prior but there is something very endearing about James Newton Howard's sound of this period, the exuberant innocence, which he seems to have left behind in most of his recent fantasy scores that are now in turn steeped in the current film scoring tropes and trends. And while the full score runs for about 75 minutes the composer compiled a pretty nifty 50+ minute album that contains nearly all the best material from the score. Still again I wouldn't say no to an expanded version of this and the rest JNH's Disney scores. Hopefully the studio's own Legacy Collection will make it reality sooner rather than later.

PLZ! 

I just went to print the Philosopher's Stone one... It's 41 pages! 😱 I'll print it on Monday and I look forward to diving into it again!

6 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. 

Now onto Prisoner of Azkaban! 

Don't burn yourself out on these great score my good man! Not before the BOX comes out.

Just now, Incanus said:

Don't burn yourself out on these great score my good man! Not before the BOX comes out.

I'll go mad on them this weekend and then embargo them until I get the box xmas morning!