What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Tom & Jerry: The Movie by Henry Mancini

Probably the best T&J music is ever going to be without Scott Bradley. I can also confess to enjoying the songs when taken out of the context of a garbage movie (which, bizarre as it feels to admit it, nonetheless is a vastly funnier failure than anything done with the characters since then).

In that amend, I suppose it could be considered an equivalent to Goldsmith's Looney Tunes honestly being worthy of Carl Stalling's legacy.

Goldsmith/Frankenheimer at their gloomiest (preparing for Proud later this month). It will never become a fan favourite but should be an object to study how you translate acute psychological conditions into music. Goldsmith bases his whole score on a simple baroque triad that imprints the movie, best tagged as 'philosophical thriller' - with a mean ending - , and it's one of his very best scores he wrote in regards how its perfectly glued to Rock Hudson's/John Randolph's fate. Not one wasted note. Watching the movie is key to understand its brilliance.

Black Panther after hearing a few clips in the round table video.

I think it goes a bit overboard with the African percussion at times and some of the score goes into slightly generic territory, but when it gets going with more orchestral material it's pretty good. I really like the theme in Glory to Bast / United Nations and other tracks.

If only Goransson had used some of this talent in Venom.

Maps to the Stars - Howard Shore

Imaginative and good, Shore's finest score since The Lord of the Rings, much preferable than the tired Hobbit stuff. Top 5 of 2014 material.

War Horse - John Williams

Still not a big fan of this. For all its characteristic craftmanship, it lacks distinction. Still, it is top 10 of 2011 material, maybe even top 5.

American Beauty - Thomas Newman

The best score of 1999 for me (followed by Titus, The Matrix, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and The Mummy - now that was a good year for film music, full of highlights). Gorgeous, inventive - top 5 Newman.

Angels in America - Thomas Newman

Bliss, also top 5 Newman. I don't want to pick between this and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King for the best score of 2003 - both are two of my favourite scores of all time.

Michael Collins - Elliot Goldenthal

My favourite score of 1996. Top 5 Goldenthal. This is just tremendous and moving. This has to be one of the most underrated film scores out there despite the Oscar nomination.

:music: Creed II by Ludwig Goransson. Seeing the film actually helped a great deal. Some nice development of material from the first film, nice statements of Conti's material as well. And I really like Drago's theme. It's a good score on par with the first one (perhaps not as good on album). Will buy the CD when it comes out next week. While Venom is an abomination, both this and Black Panther remain highlights of 2018.

Karol

Meet Joe Black - Thomas Newman

I know this is one lots of people like, but it's never been among my favorite T. Newmans, and after this listen it still isn't.

If we're talkin' late-90s Newman, give me The Green Mile or American Beauty.

Mary Queen of Scotts by Max Richter

There's some pleasant underscore and flashes of sweeping feel-good Richter ground bass. But there's ultimately too much bland Zimmer-ized theatrics bogging down the album. The "big traditional orchestral score" was never Richter's forte, and it clearly shows here. It's a shame too, given the material. The finale is nice though, and a memorable token for the year.

It's a bit too whimsy for our crowd here - in fact, like Sherman Bros. on steroids but with so much cheering waltz time going on it indeed feels like from better times. The movie seems to be an anachronist's dream, Shaiman didn't update the idiom of the 1964 movie but he's so darn good it doesn't matter much.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Shaiman didn't update the idiom of the 1964 movie but

You say that like it's a bad thing. Isn't that kind of the point? It's certainly what I was hoping for since the whole thing got announced. This film is supposed to serve as a direct sequel to the original; the aim is for it to basically feel like it came out just a few years later.

Under Fire

Words serve to describe emotions, but there needs to be several linguistic gradiations, altough in reality emotions are a spectrum. Music has much more emotional gradiations than words and every musician uses and is able to deal with an individual amount of them. Under Fire proves that Goldsmith is one of the most precise, sensitive and subtle composers and that his music is far beyond just being able to express "happy" and "sad". Just one aspect of this outstanding score (accompanied by an outstanding film as well).

I hope you know what I mean.

Interstellar by Hans Zimmer

On Her Majesty's Secret Service by John Barry

A Charlie Brown Christmas by Vince Guaraldi

The Return of the King by Howard Shore

The Christmas Shoes by Lawrence Shragge

Ant Man by Christophe Beck

A very nice weekend!

And more to follow suit this week!

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Creed 2

Karol

I cannot get over how much fun and badass this score can be sometimes. My standout track is the one I've already linked to so many times here. It's all just so full and satisfying. 

The Red Violin by John Corigliano: Quite exquisite.

Troy by Gabriel Yared: I can hear why Horner commented this being old fashioned but it is old fashioned in a old school orchestral epic kind of way which is just a plus in my books.

Quo Vadis by Miklós Rózsa: Tadlow re-recording is just wonderful and this might be the most intimate of the composer's sword and sandal styled epics with its lovely romantic themes and evocations of exotic dances and pomp and circumstance of the Ancient Rome done in his indelible style.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by John Williams

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

Sorry, just the OSTs. Great stuff, but I think I still like Philosopher's Stone a bit more.