What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a good one!

I only listed to good stuff.

Yes Avatar. Proud to like it. Laughing out loud at your nonsense 

On 1/3/2019 at 11:36 AM, JoeinAR said:

Finally listened to HP disc one and seven. As Mr. SPOCK said "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but is often true."

This is how I feel about the complete Ten Commandments. 

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi expanded edits. I don't know what people are talking about when complaining about those. Sure, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'd say for a 7th and 8th films in the series Williams has shown some stamina and managed to keep the galaxy far away quite fresh.

I've never fully warmed up to TLJ, but TFA is one of my favourites from this century and sits comfortably above the prequels in my list.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've never fully warmed up to TLJ, but TFA is one of my favourites from this century and sits comfortably above the prequels in my list.

It's one big score to me.

Karol

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Christopher Gunning: My own extended compilation of all the available Poirot music and it is a lovely 1½ hour listen with a lot of variety, including two great suites, one for solo violin and orchestra (aka Poirot Fantasy) and one for saxophone and orchestra (Poirot Variants). Classy and elegant orchestral writing and often the composer manages to conjure a lot of power from a chamber-sized ensemble. I only wish Gunning would release more music from the individual episodes as beyond the obligatory repetition of the main theme they contain a lot of excellent music.

Yes!  I almost listened to it this morning.  Went with Temple of Doom instead.  Never get tired of that one, not one little bit.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Edward Scissorhands. A highest point in Elfman's career. 

Karol

Thumbs up

Weird, I ALMOST listened to that one next, after almost listening to Batman Returns, before settling on Temple of Doom.

It was because it snowed this morning, my commute was all white, it put me in the mood for the Elfman choir sound, but somehow Doom just won anyway.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I like and respect it. But I can never listen to it for some reason. It can give you diabetes.

Karol

I wouldn't say the last sentence, but otherwise I feel the exact same way. The only track I can ever listen to is the Cookie Factory. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

I like and respect it. But I can never listen to it for some reason. It can give you diabetes.

Karol

Actually Mary Poppins gives you diabeetteees

Just a spoon full of sugar gives you type 2 diabetes in the most delightful ways

The Lion King (Walt Disney Legacy Collection) by Hans Zimmer

Gloroiosus and triumphant, with the obviously notable songs and a score to math. There are two great themes that I seem to have rediscovered in this expanded relesase, which has probably been my favourite of Legacy Collection I've listened too so far. Excellent work on Zimmer's part.

The Post by John Williams

What stands out to me in this score is Williams utilization of the string section, especially in tracks like The Presses Roll. Others, such as The Papers, possess a much different musical structure, using synth and low strings to unravel the secrets of the government papers. Deciding to Publish is a tense track, the strings building to the moment when the final decision is made. I quite like this score.

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

Oh my god that made me laugh. I hope we can instate this as a new tradition. 

Just curious, do you know the historical context hinted at with his post?

26 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I once met Bobby Seale, if that's what you're referring to. 

Goldsmith was inspired by the Spellbound score

https://www.npr.org/2017/05/09/527575323/jerry-goldsmith-the-composers-composer-honored-with-hollywood-star

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Interesting that Williams best score of the 21st century was also the very first one to be written/released in this period. Also one of the finest expanded releases of his works ever.

Karol

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Romão said:

That's one my all time favorite scores. Regardless of who wrote what, it is simultaneously my favorite Bernard Hermann and Alfred Newman score

Would you recommend the re-recording album? I only have the LLL set. 

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Would you recommend the re-recording album? I only have the LLL set. 

Karol

For sure. In my view, it's both the best performance of the score and the best album arrangement

The Theory of Everything by Johann Johanssonn

What a beautiful main theme and a very good OST! And as a side note, the usage of Arrival of the Birds at the end of the film is very, very moving.

Lust Caution by Alexandre Desplat: Elegant, suspenseful, melancholic and beautiful. In other words pretty terrific all around. One of my personal Desplat favourites.