What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

John Powell - Solo

I hadn't listened to this in months.  I like it, I enjoy it, but it always ends too soon.  The album is so action heavy, it's quite relentless, too.  I really hope this gets a proper complete score release (or leak) eventually.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

This score is so cool!  I love the blend of action material and horror type scoring.  I don't listen to many scores of that type but I really like what he does here.  The OST album misses many highlights heard in the film so this is another score deserving of an expansion or leak for sure.

Pinar Toprak - Captain Marvel

I dunno.  I listened to this when it came out and thought it was fine, nothing special.  Don't remember anything about it now.

Lena Raine - Celeste

I continue to regularly listen to this brilliant electronic score from 2018 and love every bit of it.

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2 (OST re-arranged into a more chronological order)

Super fun score, I have enjoyed it regularly since it came out.  Sleight of Hand remains a highlight score cue of the 2010s.

Henry Jackman - The Predator

Ehhhhhh, not bad.  I suppose I like it more than what Debney did.  Nothing comes close to Silvestri's own reworking of the original material, for Predator 2.

Don Davis - The Matrix (Complete)

Good stuff... creepy at times, thrilling at times, adrenaline-pumping at times... but all very coherent and just an enjoyable listen.  I love the way it starts strong, then slows down and builds and builds to the big climax.

James Horner - Aliens (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Another classic score I just love and can listen to all the time and never get sick of it.

Danny Elfman - Batman (Complete edit including mondo LP cues)

So I've always loved this score, the score album was one of the first score albums I ever bought and I've listened to it countless times since.  The initial expansion didn't do much for me, likely due to its incomplete nature, poor sound quality, and me being SO used to the album sequencing.  Recently I've completely turned around, now that we finally have the entire score in good, proper sound quality.  Once you take the revised LLL album and add the Mondo cues and properly title and sequence everything, you end up with a really strong complete film score experience that does take you on a different journey than the OST album does, and isn't boring at all ever along the way, every cue counts towards the final result.  Great score.

James Newton Howard - Waterworld (Complete)

I like this score a lot, in either OST form (which is wildly out of chronological order, but works very well) or complete form.  I don't find either outstays its welcome at all, I quite enjoy it from beginning to end.  Great action music throughout with many nice scene-setting cues in between.  "Swimming" was actually running through my head the whole time I was snorkeling off the coasts of Lanai and Maui.

Nah, I'm just catching up on posting about the scores I've listened to in the past few months

52 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

One Bridge Too Far by John Addison - a very good score. One can feel that it tells a personally honest story (Addison himself fought as a paratrooper in the Operation Market Garden)

I highly recommend the movie. 

The main theme takes on the role of a sort of triumphant march at times. Good score.

Christopher Larkin - Hollow Knight

Wow!  I started playing this game recently and liked the music I heard in it, so figured I'd check out the OST.    Turns out I'm only scratching the surface of the game so far, because everything after track 3 was new to me.  I liked everything I heard here a lot, but probably won't return to this until after I beat the game.

Always nice to discover a cool new score by a composer I'd never heard of before!

Hacksaw Ridge by RGW.

I Shazammed  'Okinawa Battlefield' in The Grand Tour and this evening decided to listen to the entire thing. Like The Prisoner, it makes a really good background concept album, and about 4 tracks in I was looking up the album on Amazon. Need to check out more of his stuff.

Also listened to the first half of HTTYD 3 (for probably the 20th time) on the drive home yesterday. Hell. Yeah.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I prefer A Bridge Too Far.

I figured that One Bridge Too Far was just the product of translation. I knew what he meant.

Have you seen the film, Shark?

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I figured that One Bridge Too Far was just the product of translation. I knew what he meant.

Have you seen the film, Shark?

No, but I've been aware of it for a long time.

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King The Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas by Harry Gregson-Williams

Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino

Lust Caution by Alexandre Desplat

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Very good, especially the first half!

Indeed. HGW had a long time to write this and he crafted a neat swashbuckler that has the old fashioned and modern scoring sensibilities in good balance. I do enjoy it in its entirety with the 10-minute Tartarus being a standout piece. I also love the vocal effects in Sirens and in HGW's theme for Eris which succeeds in being both playful and wicked at the same time.

Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra by John Williams: One of my favourite Williams concertos. While it is not the flashiest it is certainly among his most lovely concert works. The Pastorale movement is absolutely stunning with such tenderness and pensive air to it and the Commedia finale is full of humour and energy that if I remember correctly the Maestro himself described to be in style akin to Hayden meeting Shostakovich.

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

One of my favourite Williams concertos. While it is not the flashiest it is certainly among his most lovely concert works. The Pastorale movement is absolutely stunning with such tenderness and pensive air to it and the Commedia finale is full of humour and energy that if I remember correctly the Maestro himself described to be in style akin to Hayden meeting Shostakovich

Hmmm, maybe I should give that one another shot some time. I listened to it soon after its release, and other than some fun similarities to Tintin, I remember thinking it felt like cotton candy.

Joe Kraemer - The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot

The first good score of 2019!  Lovely main theme for Barr, cool action music (one cue reminds me of The Arena from AOTC, another reminds me of Kraemer's own unreleased knife fight cue from MI5), some nice suspense music too.  I enjoy Kraemer's own piano playing for Barr's Theme.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hmmm, maybe I should give that one another shot some time. I listened to it soon after its release, and other than some fun similarities to Tintin, I remember thinking it felt like cotton candy.

You don't like cotton candy, huh? Cynic!

Related image

Currently listening to SHAZAM! by some dude named Wallfisch. First track is great, lots of energy. Next will probably be the original Superman by Williams, I think I've only listened to the completed OST just once in the past.

Edit: just finished SHAZAM. Honestly I felt it went downhill after the first track, never really getting to that level again. Pretty average score for the most part.

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

7 Years in Tibet by JW. So that's where the prequel sound comes from... A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. An interesting oriental score.

One of my all-time favourites! Great score. Leaving Ingrid has shades of RotS, even the new Han theme, but in a sombre and more string-oriented way.

Pet Sematary by Christopher Young

Was admittedly disappointed when I learned he was going the electronic route for this one, in a similar vein to Sinister. Despite that, I actually found Sinister's album a morbidly captivating listen, and was further disappointed this one isn't as interesting as that either. Still, it is an intriguing work, and it's appreciated the score rarely gets loud, in favor of (as always for Young even on a lesser work) building up an atmosphere that creeps up on you. The family theme's lovely too in all its appearances. It's not my thing, but what the hey, if he wants to do something different and explore out of his comfort zone, who am I to object? If I need yet another orchestral horror score by this chap, I can just go listen to one of his earlier works I haven't played yet. And yes, this is at least more interesting a listen than Goldenthal having been temp-tracked with Amityville Horror. 

The complete score for Vladimir Horunzhy's The Langoliers.  An awesome score and I'm glad he finally made it available after all these years.

I even read a post of his that he was surprised the producers never released a CD release of his score back then in 95.

75 minutes of half-digested orchestral 90's gestures (y'name it, Silvestri, Elfman, Arnold, that sort of stuff) with all the elements that made those distinctive taken out. The main theme, a hymnic fanfare, only takes flight in the penultimate cues and without other catchy ideas it all remains vague: it sounds like one of those scores where the composer had to compose incidental material around lots of featured songs. 

People whine for this kind of crap to make a comeback but forget that 80% of what was churned out "back in the day" was as unmemorable as 80% of anything today, just with a different musical accent.  Not surprising that one score that ticks the usual boxes of overblown symphonic fetishists (read: "themes" and "orchestration" or whatever the fuck those mean in their little world) while still making the dozens of studio twits calling the shots happy is nothing to write home about. 

I suppose it could be done in a more orderly fashion and i would go along with a 'fair' rating then, but yeah, it's all far away from the kind of intelligent, original musical conception we should aim for. 

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (LLL set) by John Williams

Superman (40th Anniversary Remastered Edition) by John Williams

Highly experimental, tiring in larger doses (the album runs almost 70') but not altogether uninteresting. Young is back in his musique concréte mode (á la Sinister), with the tonal parts in his patented idiom (dreamy piano/vocalise lullabies and so forth) - some of the harsh textural voice manipulations, i. e. in 'Scream for More' are pretty unsettling. 

Surprised the album's indeed overlong, as Young's usually pretty good at perfect album length (usually keeps his horror albums at around 40-50 minutes). I'll probably make a 40-ish minute playlist later, after I get over my childish disappointment that he chose this route over an orchestral work (and Sinister's album really grew on me later, so this likely will too).

In any case, I'm happy to see him have fun explore outside a comfort zone (rather than get bored with his bag of tricks, as much I love said tricks), so it's no skin off my back if it's not up my alley since there's plenty of apparently great works of his I haven't heard yet. 

5 minutes ago, publicist said:

Young tends to be more interesting in his more outlandish ventures nowadays. Like last year's 'Wilson's Heart', a strong work:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind by John Williams

A masterpiece. From the versatility of fugal pieces such as Roy and Gillian on the Road, to the integrity and intensity of Roy's First Encounter, Barry's Kidnapping, Barnstorming and such, this score serves up a little bit of everything. The opening orchestra hit was always one of my favourite entrance cues. Top notch Williams writing here. 

VICE by Nicholas Brittel

A bit of a breakthrough year for Brittel in my books, considering he composed two scores last year that I really, really enjoy. VICE can turn from groovy disco styles to a track beat, and from something borderline baroque to something very modern. Another score that offers up so many different styles in surprisingly good cohesion. The main theme is stellar too. Excited for future works from this fellow.

For sampling, best to listen to Conclusion- The Transplant.

Moonraker by John Barry

Not entirely impressed by this score. Mostly general Bond material, but it just isn't presented in a way that Thunderball or On Her Majesty's Secret Service was.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace by John Williams

A complete edit arranged in the style of the '97 OT Special Editions. Really, really good. When it comes to the Prequels, it's really hard to pick favourites. This score is normally vying for first though. The Droid Invasion, Escape from Naboo, The Great Duel, The Flag Parade. Great themes and a phenomenal third act of score. Lovely how Duel of the Fates serves as a setpiece for the entire final act rather than for just the duel. 

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides by Hans Zimmer

Unfortunately, I feel this to be one of the weaker Pirates scores. The new themes are still very good: the haunting mermaids, the epic Spanish, the evil Blackbeard. Some of the guitar material can be quite delightful too, but when it comes to serving up new arrangements or ideas, I'm not entirely impressed. A lot of the music feels tracked from the earlier films at times, and it can be annoying when key moments are simply recycling old ideas. Par exemple, at the Fountain of Youth, Blackbeard's -ahem- demise is underscored by a segment of Make Way for Tortuga from Dead Man's Chest. Missed opportunities, good themes, more Pirates action. 

For sampling, best to listen to Mermaids.

At Eternity's Gate by Tatiana Lisvoskaya

Impressive. Centered almost entirely on the piano (select violin solos too, I recall), this score really brings a fair bit of tranquility and beauty. I wouldn't say that there is too much aside from the main theme, but that in and of itself is lovely. 

For sampling, best to listen to Van Gogh Theme II (With Violin).